Suggested Gear - First time rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suggested Gear - First time rider

retrojax

Hey all,

I just got my M2, and looking to by a bike within the next few weeks. That brings forth the question of...what gear do I need? There's so many different brands, and types of gear out there, (mostly talking about jackets)...what's needed?

What's the difference between a jacket and vest? Do I wear both of them together? As for the inserts, do all bike jackets have slots for inserts (like a back protector, for example I think is important)?

Then we get into pants, where there's base layers, and shorts, and pants, and paddings for all sorts of body parts! W

I'm just a little confused on what gear to buy.

For example:
EVS Sport Vest - 2017 how's that vest? It looks good..but how much protection does it really give, versus say this guy Icon Field Armor Stryker Vest, or even these inserts: Dainese Pro-Armor Chest Protectors

Any help would be appreciated

Vests are kind of a fashion statement. Go to a dealer like Riders Choice and ask for their advice. A good leather jacket will be hot. That's the price you pay for protection. Mesh jackets will be cooler, but you will sacrifice some protection. Same goes for textile, but a bit better.
Buy the best gear you can afford, and wear it!

Last edited:
Gloves, personally I like gloves with a single layer of leather on the palms, gloves with extra material on the palms tend to promote blisters and calluses.
Footwear, cover your ankle bone and be careful of laces that can catch on things when you go to put a foot down.

A vest does nothing to protect your forearms, forearm and knees are your first body parts to touch down in an oops.

Armoured vest is perfect if you are going to motocross race and need to stop the rocks the guy ahead is throwing at you.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I just got my M2, and looking to by a bike within the next few weeks. That brings forth the question of...what gear do I need? There's so many different brands, and types of gear out there, (mostly talking about jackets)...what's needed?

What's the difference between a jacket and vest? Do I wear both of them together? As for the inserts, do all bike jackets have slots for inserts (like a back protector, for example I think is important)?

Then we get into pants, where there's base layers, and shorts, and pants, and paddings for all sorts of body parts! W

I'm just a little confused on what gear to buy.

For example:
EVS Sport Vest - 2017 how's that vest? It looks good..but how much protection does it really give, versus say this guy Icon Field Armor Stryker Vest, or even these inserts: Dainese Pro-Armor Chest Protectors

Any help would be appreciated
Gearing up:

• Helmet. Go to a reputable dealer and get one fitted. This week GP Bikes has their annual sale, lots of decent choices for 1/2 price. Before you commit to a helmet, as yourself 1 simple question... What is my head worth? $100 gets you a decent helmet on sale. July Helmet Sale
  • Jacket. Most rider find 3 season textile jackets to be the most universal. Jackets usually come with CE certified armor in the back, elbows and shoulders. They have removable liners so you can use them in warmer weather, with the liner in, they will be as warm enough to ride out the season (unless you're a winter rider). Be sure to have the jacket fitted to you, a poor fitting jacket will be uncomfortable and may not rise to the occasion if called upon to do it's duty. $125 to 300 is a good starting point, Regear in Oshawa often has great closouts and selection of lightly used. FortNine is also good for closeouts (this is a great deal: Fieldsheer Highland Jacket.) TIP: get a light colored jacket -- better for visibility and you won't get smokin hot in the summer.
  • Gloves - riding gloves in heavy leather are best. Be sure they fit tight when new as leather really stretches.
  • Boots - you can buy riding boots or use Wellington style boots. Either way your boots should be heavy leather or good synthetic AND you should not be able to kick them off.
  • Pants - I like armored jeans, not everyone does. You can get tough, armored textile pants for about the same prices as a jacket. Many have removable liners making them suitable for any season.
MC gear can be expensive if you're picky -- if you're flexible there are always great deals available on quality gear.

The environment you'll be riding in should dictate the gear you buy. If you're tooling around the city doing 60km/h or less then a vented nylon jacket with riding jeans should be enough. If you're going to spend a lot of time on highways or faster roads...leather. In any case, gloves are a must as well as a helmet. More expensive helmets generally do not offer any more protection than cheaper ones that have the same safety rating, what they offer is more options and comfort. A helmet that costs $200 and meets ece is generally just as safe as a $500 helmet that meets ece (bell helmets with mips would definitely be an exception). Prepare yourself for the sticker shock coming your way.

When you got your M2, what did you wear? What's your baseline?

Lots of good advice already.

Take advantage of GP Bikes helmet sale now. Fortnine has good stuff on closeout. (Fieldsheer jacket mentioned above, Icon Prep all leather CE 2 boots).

Gloves, leather with sliders if you can find them at a good price. Lots of pants available on Kijiji at good prices, look for CE certified for knee and hip.

Protect all possible contact points with armour (hands, shoulders, elbows, head, hip and knees). Also protect these points for abrasion (leather and some textile).

Feet can be pinned under the bike during a slide, not good! Heavy boots are best.

Go over to advrider and take a look at the face plant sub-forum. Be prepared for some gore, that forum drives the point home that we need to protect ourselves, no matter how skilled we are.

Revzilla is a good resource for just checking out gear and anything motorcycle related, as the reviews can be helpful.

Otherwise just head over to GP bikes it's worth it as it's probably the best place in the GTA for all things motorcycling.

Thank you all!! Lots of really valuable information from all of you! Really surprised at all the feedback, what a great community!

I'm taking that feedback, and starting searching with a little more knowledge!

Boots will need good traction - don’t want to slip when you stop and put a foot down.
... not to be confused with big heavy thick tread, unless you plan to ride in mud and snow.

Completely flat sole would be fine just as long as she don't slide on your pegs and pavement or streetcar tracks or whatever.
... you know those steel toe clips they put on MX boots to protect it from impact damage, those things are deadly on anything other then a dirt and gravel MX track.

Two things that most first-time gear buyers overlook are fit and comfort.

If the gear doesn't fit you properly, the armor might move around too much and not protect you in the event of a fall. Leather stretches, especially gloves and pants. Leather gloves will typically stretch one full size up after the first season, so I typically buy them a size smaller when new and then they're perfect after the first few rides.

Having said that, if the gear is too uncomfortable (too hot, too tight, etc), chances are you'll leave it in the closet when you go out for your next ride. Toronto summers get very hot and humid, so if you decide to go for leathers, there are perforated leather jackets and pants on the market that allow air to flow through. Another option is to look for a hybrid gear - leather covering the high abrasion areas (elbows, shoulders, knees) and mesh in the chest, thighs, backs of calves, to let air flow in.

If you bike long enough, you'll probably end up owning at least two sets of gear, one for hot weather riding, and another for early and late in the season when it's cooler. Trying to find a single outfit to cover off all seasons will probably get you gear that will be too hot in the summer and too cold in the early spring/fall.

Good luck with that jacket, it better have a removable liner and vented arm pits,
it was hotter then !@#$% today even riding in light attire and moccasin boots is like jumping into one of those high speed hand dryers at the movie theatre.

If you get mesh gear first, you can always wear an overjacket not meant for riding. The mesh jacket provides protection and the overjacket provides warmth. For example I wear a ski jacket over a 1pc suit in the early winter/spring. And you will end up with more gear as time goes by.

Ive seen guys with shorts and t shirts wearing gloves !!!! What a joke. Your asking the right questions , you'll hear atgatt all the gear all the time . What i would suggest if your looking at looking cool instead of riding atgatt talk to people that have crashed and see what they say. I think you will hear the same thing. Good luck and ride safe .

1566328928292.png

Seen a guy on the commute home today wearing flip flops and a tank top weaving in and out of traffic on an obnoxiously loud ninja 300 thru the yorkdale madness on 401 today, he even had a sock covering his shifting toe (LOL!) dangling off the peg goofy foot. was waiting to see the road crayon before I exited, no such luck lol

Back
Top Bottom