Stylish Waterproof Track Boot - Suggestions Needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stylish Waterproof Track Boot - Suggestions Needed

iegod

Dude(tte)s.

I'm looking for the perfect waterproof track style boot. I know this doesn't exist so I've come looking for recommendations to get as close as possible. I'll be wearing them primarily in wet or colder conditions. What's prompting this purchase is the upcoming rainy season and the fact that last year after a 36km commute home my Testastretta's were completely soaked through - squishy even - and smelled for days. My feet were frozen raisins by the end of the ride. Not fun. Here's what I would like. Here's what I would like.
  1. Waterproof. Gore-Tex is perfect.
  2. Protection. Specifically, ankle roll prevention. That is, not being able to bend the boot from side to side.
  3. Sliders. That would be awesome.
  4. Stylish. I love the look of Pumas, for example. Ideally I'd be able to get a pair of jeans over them.
My research has brought me to a few choices, each of which has great features but none of which is ideal.

Sidi Cobra (rain version)
boots_sidi.jpg

• cheap! (relatively)
  • waterproof
  • sliders
  • not bad looking
Dislike
  • no ankle roll protection

Puma Desmo GTX

boots_puma.jpg

• they're sexy; I could wear these anywhere
  • waterproof
  • sliders
Dislike
  • lack of ankle protection (why isn't this standard in all boots damnit)

Dainese TRQ-Tour Gore-Tex Boots

boots_dainese.jpg

• waterproof
  • styling
  • ankle protection
Dislike
  • no sliders (damnit Dainese you almost made the perfect boot)
Given that my current bike shoes are the Puma Testastretta II Mids it's conceivable that I could live without the ankle roll protection, but the thought of that part of my leg getting twisted when a simple solution could have prevented it irks me. So what say you GTAM? What are you using? What would you recommend? Finally, if you have a non-waterproof marketed boot, I'd love to hear how it holds up in in a downpour. Am I crazy in wanting to keep my feet super dry?

Last edited:
Just wear booties over the boots when it rains. MEC has them for cyclists.

Dude(tte)s.

I'm looking for the perfect waterproof track style boot. I know this doesn't exist so I've come looking for recommendations to get as close as possible. I'll be wearing them primarily in wet or colder conditions. What's prompting this purchase is the upcoming rainy season and the fact that last year after a 36km commute home my Testastretta's were completely soaked through - squishy even - and smelled for days. My feet were frozen raisins by the end of the ride. Not fun. Here's what I would like. Here's what I would like.
  1. Waterproof. Gore-Tex is perfect.
  2. Protection. Specifically, ankle roll prevention. That is, not being able to bend the boot from side to side.
  3. Sliders. That would be awesome.
  4. Stylish. I love the look of Pumas, for example. Ideally I'd be able to get a pair of jeans over them.
My research has brought me to a few choices, each of which has great features but none of which is ideal

http://www.daytona.de/english/boots_e/gore.html

These seem to tick all your boxes.

Last edited:
When it pours, they're going to get wet anyways unless you have rain gear on top.

sylish and track are an oxymoron, your going for there for the wrong reason.

Goretex socks are also available. MEC has them.
Vapor barrier is even better. Easiest way to get a VB is to use a liner sock, thin plastic bag, thick sock, then another thin plastic bag. That combo with $20 army desert boots got through some serious snow hiking in the summer and it kept me dryer than any goretex boot + gaiter combo.

Remember a membrane like goretex ads a lot of heat in the summer.

Last edited:
Go and see the Oxtars available at Blue Streak Racing, he has some pretty stylish track/race boots that are waterproof. Reasonably priced.

Goretex socks are also available. MEC has them.
Vapor barrier is even better. Easiest way to get a VB is to use a liner sock, thin plastic bag, thick sock, then another thin plastic bag. That combo with $20 army desert boots got through some serious snow hiking in the summer and it kept me dryer than any goretex boot + gaiter combo.

Remember a membrane like goretex ads a lot of heat in the summer.

I have worn a pair of Technic Violators for 5 years. They are the coolest boots I have ever worn in the summer and yet warm in the below 5 degrees area. They are black in colour.

Oh and they are waterproof. And I have tested them in a few severe thunderstorms and downpours. Only ever wear one pair of thin/medium weight sock. Really, really like them. Work well for me.

The boots you are seeking are out there. Keep looking. As for putting on bags, vapour barriers..... I feel that is old school and that the boots have everthing a rider could look for out there. A person just has to keep looking.

Best of luck.
Never heard a negative about Daytonas and have read of people still liking their original pair 10+ years later.

Last edited:
I wear the Teknic Chicane boot, just finished riding in the rain this morning and feet are warm and dry. Picked mine up from Royal Distributing at a wicked price last year end of season for under $100.00, recently seen them at GP Bikes and Markham Outdoor Power for about $200-$250. Colours are White with Black or all Black.

Have you looked at AlpineStars boots?

I've worn their SMX-5 Waterproof boots for two years and had the non-waterproof version for four years previously.

I find them to be a great fit, offer good protection, all at a great price.

Here's what I currently ride with:

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/footwear/racingsport/s-mx-5-waterproof/

--DK

I'm actually wearing the SMX-5 non waterproof boots right now. If you actually look and feel it, there isn't really much ankle protection. If you were looking for more protection and like that style,the SMX-Plus is the way to go for an extra $50 or so.

There's a very thin piece of plastic where the ankle is on the SMX-5 that won't really do much in the case of a crash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I don't understand why you're looking for much more ankle protection, since you're clearly comfortable riding with short-boots that have practically no protection now.

I ride with the short SMX-2's, and last time I was in the rain they got decently wet, but not completely soaked through (~20min. ride on the 400).

I would just get the Desmo's and call it a day.

+^1

Daytona Evo Sport GTX meet all the requirements on your list. Daytona boots were rated the best boots again by various magazines and testers for 2011.

I see Josh Hayes is wearing Daytona's full race boot this year (one step up from the Evo Sport)He is the AMA superbike champ.

I have both models. The main difference between the two is kevlar in the race boot and plastic in the street boot for protection. Both are outstanding boots, protection, comfort, looks and being water resistant.

I don't understand why you're looking for much more ankle protection, since you're clearly comfortable riding with short-boots that have practically no protection now.

I ride with the short SMX-2's, and last time I was in the rain they got decently wet, but not completely soaked through (~20min. ride on the 400).

I would just get the Desmo's and call it a day.

It's comfortable for riding, but I know come crash time it's not the best. I'd prefer my next investment to have it. I plan on wearing them when possible.

Back
Top Bottom