Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread | Page 383 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread

you can register home built bikes that are obvious production bikes?
I didn't think you could register home built bikes anymore. As far as registering a production bike as homebuilt, who looks? Mechanic writes safety, MTO does paperwork without looking at the bike. Most of my trailers have been registered as homebuilt, they were never near a mechanic or mto office for anyone to question the provenance.

I didn't think you could register home built bikes anymore. As far as registering a production bike as homebuilt, who looks? Mechanic writes safety, MTO does paperwork without looking at the bike. Most of my trailers have been registered as homebuilt, they were never near a mechanic or mto office for anyone to question the provenance.

If you build something like a chopper with an off the shelf/custom built frame or say a Champion framed street tracker they're registered as home built

Correct. You can register a home built frame with an affadavit from the builder and a bill of sale.

When you "modify" your ninja 300 before checking insurance, then want 5K for a bike that's been unchanged since it came out
Screenshot_20210921-075757_Kijiji.jpg

When you "modify" your ninja 300 before checking insurance, then want 5K for a bike that's been unchanged since it came out
View attachment 51380

Lol at least it says “hoping”

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Didn't have to look to far afield for this one
$11,500 for a non desirable version of a RZ that needs $3000 service and is missing parts.

Didn't have to look to far afield for this one
$11,500 for a non desirable version of a RZ that needs $3000 service and is missing parts.
The sad thing is, both this and that Triumph basket case will likely get sold for close to asking. The 'collectible' market is stupid right now.

The 'collectible' market is stupid right now.
I get that... but neither of those bikes are "collector" bikes.
The Triumph is a nice riding bike but they made a gazillion 650 Bonnys for a lot of years. Pretty well any one that wants a 650 Bonny probably already has one. They stopped breeding Triumph 650 Bonny buyers sometime around 1964, for the most part.
RZs are at STUPID prices now because of americans, and americans don't want a '85 Canadian "R"... and he has priced his Canadian bike that's in Toronto, that needs a TON of work at California MINT condition RZ levels. If that bike WAS an american '84 model, located in LA he MIGHT get $4,000-4500 USD.
And YES, the sad thing is they will probably sell, to some poor schmuck that doesn't know any better.

And to put my money where my mouth is: If you're looking for "collectable" I'll sell ya a '70 Triumph T100R Daytona, running and certified for $5000CDN or a '89 Canadian RZ with a all new WickedATV banshee motor and Gixxer suspension and SV wheels for $6000 USD (It used to be Gordie Bush's RZ cup bike, but now it has almost 100HP and weighs about 300#)
... or how about a 850 Commando, or a 750 Combat Commando or a '56 Domi 99 or a Triumph TSX or Dave Hugh's TR3 or Brian Henderson's TZ350G or Sharon Boyer's TA125 or a '93 900SS Duc... if you're looking for 'collectable"... get in touch, we'll talk.

And to put my money where my mouth is: If you're looking for "collectable" I'll sell ya a '70 Triumph T100R Daytona, running and certified for $5000CDN or a '89 Canadian RZ with a all new WickedATV banshee motor and Gixxer suspension and SV wheels for $6000 USD (It used to be Gordie Bush's RZ cup bike, but now it has almost 100HP and weighs about 300#)
... or how about a 850 Commando, or a 750 Combat Commando or a '56 Domi 99 or a Triumph TSX or Dave Hugh's TR3 or Brian Henderson's TZ350G or Sharon Boyer's TA125 or a '93 900SS Duc... if you're looking for 'collectable"... get in touch, we'll talk.
I'm not a collector, nor do I care - nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
The market is what it is - I would never own an old Brit bike.
I lived through that era and after doing a partial restoration on a chain drive Yamaha 920 then selling it for a lot more than I had in it I have no inclination to do it again.

The Triumph is a nice riding bike but they made a gazillion 650 Bonnys for a lot of years. Pretty well any one that wants a 650 Bonny probably already has one. They stopped breeding Triumph 650 Bonny buyers sometime around 1964, for the most part.
RZs are at STUPID prices now because of americans, and americans don't want a '85 Canadian "R"... and he has priced his Canadian bike that's in Toronto, that needs a TON of work at California MINT condition RZ levels. If that bike WAS an american '84 model, located in LA he MIGHT get $4,000-4500 USD.
And YES, the sad thing is they will probably sell, to some poor schmuck that doesn't know any better.

The average buyer of a 70s Brit bike or muscle car is probably a boomer that has no clue what he is throwing money at other than it was cool back in the day.
You know a LOT more than most buyers will ever know @bitzz.

I'm often amazed at what amateur collectors believe their collection is worth. I buy and sell the odd vintage bike, there's no profit in it, and after 30 + years dabbling in antique bikes I don't think I've met an owner that has made steady profit.

The last 2 bikes I sold were listed and delivered on Ebay in the US -- I was surprised to get almost double what I would expect from a local Toronto listing. I think I did make a profit on one of them - maybe $50 bucks!

The sad thing is, both this and that Triumph basket case will likely get sold for close to asking. The 'collectible' market is stupid right now.
Really???

Good to know, i just picked up a complete Triumph for $1k. Will probably need a top end, but that's like 500 bucks.

One thing i notice about many amateur collectors is they'll look in other markets (UK and US) and think it is the same here.

RD250s and RD350s sell for at least double in UK as they do here. Same with many brit bikes (ironically)

I'm not a collector, nor do I care - nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
The market is what it is - I would never own an old Brit bike.
I lived through that era and after doing a partial restoration on a chain drive Yamaha 920 then selling it for a lot more than I had in it I have no inclination to do it again.
I have 1 old brit bike, a TW25R which is a BSA wearing a Triumph suit. I bought off a guy that started turning it into a trials bike. I off'd his alloy tank and fenders, trading them for an original tank+fenders+seat and all the missing hardware pieces. I liked the the scrambler pipe solo Lycette seat so I kept them on the bike.

It's is really a basic beast, not hard to work on, not hard to find parts. Some weird whitworth fasteners, but those were all in accessory bits like carbs and controls. I updated the stuff that gives these bikes the most headaches -- modern rectifier, 12v lighting, and a mikuni carb (the amal works fine, but I don't like the drippy tickler.

That's the only brit bike I have left, I don't think I'll own another.

I have 2 XV920r bikes (im fond of them). Not everyone's cup of tea, but they are sought after -- mostly as restomod donors however they are beginning to become collectible if unmolested. A regular 920 in nice shape fetches $1000-1100, the R version 2-5x more I had others, one ended up as a Hageman donor, the other is with a US collector.

Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom