Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread | Page 341 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread

Hate to be negative, but i don't think it's worth 65k. There are too many questions. Mileage is unknown. It's been crashed and parts restamped. Beautiful bike, but a bit of a bitsa bike imho.
Bitza? Huh?
wrong master and calipers and a stupid rear setup, but everyone used those Lockheeds
... he replaced a bunch of fasteners with wrong stuff and has a picture of fasteners that he replaced and a bunch of THOSE fasteners are the wrong hardware. That's kinda scary
The motor was done by Guy at MBR. Can't get better than that. There's pictures of the motor in pieces in Guy's shop. Yeah, it would be better if there was still a seal on the bottom of the motor, but that's gonna cost ya.
The clocks show 23,xxx miles.
The frame is way over restored, but as long as it's now straight who cares about it's past.
Wrong shocks BUT they are adjustable Koni of the correct vintage Nice upgrade
That tach drive may be aftermarket.

I can usually spot a bitzzer, I'm good at it
I'll tell ya this was put together using Ian Faloon's book as a manual by someone with no experience... that just threw money at it.It's perfectly CORRECT, but just WRONG, but it looks to me to put it together out of one parts pile. It has most of the right parts, but i think he got fasteners at HomeDepot. Look at the fasteners on the front calipers. The ones on the outside came from Asia and the ones on the inside are European. That's just dumb.
It DOES have the correct expensive green fuel line and is numbers matching. So it has that going for it.

Worth is a relative term.
As a motorcycle NO WAY IN HECK is this thing is worth $65k. Even for the day they're NOT that great, I own a '73. They drive like a bus, a sceni-cruiser bus, a VERY long bus, about 65HP and those brakes blow chunks.
A '74 Laverda SFC was/is a FAR superior bike, but know body has ever heard of Laverda
A '74 Norton was faster and has won a lot more races.
A '74 Guzzi was so good they used them for cop bikes.
BUT everyone has heard of Ducati and the reason they've heard of Ducati is this bike.
The round case SS's are SPECIAL. There WAS only 401 made, almost 50 years ago, and a bunch of 'em got crashed and pranged (I'll tell you ALL round cases are special. I actually like to ride them. There's nothing like hustlling a bike with a 59.75" wheelbase through a set of esses)
If you're into collecting un-rideable Ducatis there is only one more desirable than this one, an Imola 750. One sold last year for $123,000, but it had race providence.
1972-Ducati-750-Imola-Racer.jpg

Hey look, Lockheed calipers and a stupid rear setup (they came stock with Scarab brakes) and the '73 had a leading axle on the front, like a dirt bike, adding another 1 1/2" to the wheel base, 2" longer than a Harley FLH, the BIG one... and this supposed to be a race bike.
But this is where the Ducati got it's name in racing.

You can't ride it cuz what if you pranged your $65k bike?
I got bikes that are bitzzers that I can beat the bejesus out of with a clear conscience and a fairly safe wallet . If i blow it up or crash it I can put back together and haven't lost any value
I like to ride 'em, not sit and look at 'em... so these bikes have very little value or worth to me.
That being said I'll give you any body part I can spare and still live thru for an Imola that I can beat the bejesus outta. Still got 2 kidneys, non drinker with a healthy liver I could split with ya.

Bitza? Huh?
wrong master and calipers and a stupid rear setup, but everyone used those Lockheeds
According to what the seller says in the comments, he's got the Scarab stuff and it comes with the purchase, but the master started leaking so he put the Lockheeds on to make it rideable...

@bitzz $30k final offer.Lol

Laverda! Someone in the DOCC used to bring one out to Mosport.I could stand inside T1 and listen to that thing all day. :)

@bitzz $30k final offer.Lol

Laverda! Someone in the DOCC used to bring one out to Mosport.I could stand inside T1 and listen to that thing all day. :)
A younger guy with a red SF? Drum brakes? Thing o' beauty.
I always wanted a SF... well not always.
You find out you want a Laverda when you buy an old Ducati, then ride it. WTF????
Then you ride a Laverda... AAAaahhhhhh that's the one. Truly the Cadillac of motorcycles.

According to what the seller says in the comments, he's got the Scarab stuff and it comes with the purchase, but the master started leaking so he put the Lockheeds on to make it rideable...
Yeah but for that coin I want 'em on the bike.
The scarabs are probably better gear... and I hope he re-built the 50 year old Lockheeds (and they are the original 50 yr. old three knuckle ones, not the new ambidextrous 4 knuckle AP/Lockheed caliper that you can currently buy new) before he put them on... which I kinda doubt cuz' IIRC the scarabs take the same seals as the lockheeds. Why didn't he re-build the scarabs? Original is usually better when it's time to sell bikes like this.
Sorry I'm currently working on a bike with Lockheed brakes and it's turned into a bit of a nightmare and I'm bitter. VERY BITTER.
But I really think those Lockheed calipers, that got put on pretty well every hi-performance motorcycle (and Mini Coopers) of that era are over rated. They flex like all-get-out.
The steel Yamaha two pots, that came on RD350s and XS650s, were/are a better caliper. Those RD calipers are even better than the Brembo P08's, that made Brembo famous.
If you had a fast bike in the '70s it had Lockheed brakes and your '80s bike had Brembo P08s
I do a lot of vintage brakes.

Pod filters and no exhaust past the headers, I bet she runs like a dream.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
It has Mikuni VM29 carbs.
I could make it run right, with or without pod filters and an open exhaust.
The problem arises with pod filters on constant velocity carbs, VM29 are smoothbores

Please nobody give him a 750 to send to the scrap heap. That is basically what he has done to the 550. Absolutely good for nothing anywhere.
Na, he already 'built' a CB550 now he wants to 'build' a CB750
It would still make a dandy sawmill conversion.

Nothing like the spray from your rear tire going straight into your carbs.

It looks like a project that hasn't been completed. No front fender, no headlight, no mirrors, no turn signals, bad electrical routing, no taillight, no rear fender of any sort. I can only imagine the wiring mess under the tank.

:unsure: apparently the no fenders and guards "looks good" and the owners never ride in rain or on wet roads, there is no wire mess because they chop the OEM wire harness off and install a thing called a moto gadget, which is actually just a fancy expensive circuit panel junction box but also a standard cafe chopper bobber requirement.
Please nobody give him a 750 to send to the scrap heap. That is basically what he has done to the 550. Absolutely good for nothing anywhere.
Street legal CB750's must be getting fairly rare by now, I've seen an awful lot of them altered into fenderless unridable art projects decorated with pretty lights, digital gauges and thick layers of powder coat paint over old chrome.

Pod filters and no exhaust past the headers, I bet she runs like a dream.

What? I can't hear you! Doesn't she sound grate!
just listen to all that additional power from the 650 cam :cool:

It has Mikuni VM29 carbs.
I could make it run right, with or without pod filters and an open exhaust.
The problem arises with pod filters on constant velocity carbs, VM29 are smoothbores
I get that. But I've met a huge number of people that can't properly rejet but still running pods.
These days "carb tuning" is a black art to many.

I get that. But I've met a huge number of people that can't properly rejet but still running pods.
These days "carb tuning" is a black art to many.

There a lot more art to carbs than tapping some numbers into a computer on FI which gets closer to science. The carb on the mini doesn't have an accelerator pump, instead it has a dashpot full of viscous fluid controlling a slide. If you want more accelerator pump, you thicken the fluid, temperature changes the viscosity some. Bleh. Part of me wants to switch to a rack of webers but it is a fortune, a pain to setup and doesn't get you much power.

There is an equal number of people that don't know what the functions of an airbox are.

They make mini's run way better, they put a BMW K100 engine in it.

There is an equal number of people that don't know what the functions of an airbox are.

They make mini's run way better, they put a BMW K100 engine in it.
An airbox is the thing you take off to make a bike run worse and look better.

No. Lots of engine swaps are available for minis (VTEC, Busa, etc). No. I intentionally bought a crotchety old british car. If I wanted a BMW I would have bought a BMW. My only concession to modernity is getting one with 12" wheels so I could have reasonably affordable front discs, the front drum brakes were scary and real Cooper S was way more money than I wanted to have tied up in a toy.

I'm in the camp that is afraid of carbs... I've only owned FI bikes, and there are a lot of bikes that I admire that have carbs, so I just stay away.

When I started riding a friend of mine got a carbed bike, it didn't run for 2 seasons, he gave up fiddling with it and just got out of riding lol

I'm in the camp that is afraid of carbs... I've only owned FI bikes, and there are a lot of bikes that I admire that have carbs, so I just stay away.

When I started riding a friend of mine got a carbed bike, it didn't run for 2 seasons, he gave up fiddling with it and just got out of riding lol
The upside to carbs is you can do something with them for little to no money. With factory FI, you are pretty much SOL if it doesn't work exactly as you want unless you spend quite a bit on an additional computer.

Back
Top Bottom