Stuck rotor bolts | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stuck rotor bolts

Update: So I was having no luck getting the bolts loose. And with a nice riding day looming, I grinded off the lip on the outer edge of the rotor and best I could on the other side of the same edge. IT worked!! Nice quiet ride (relatively on HD) with no squeaking etc!! Can't believe I tolerated that for so long.

I'll get back to removing it at least I know this is the problem.

GTAM help me solve my latest problem
(nothing is ever easy)

I went and bought a near rear brake rotor, as my grinding idea wasn't sound.
But now I am finding all the bolts are stuck.

They are Torx-45 (I hate these things). I believe originally with some loctite from dealer
I heard some heat will help this. I only have a butane torch for welding plumbing, enough?
Then using a breaker bar.
Or also using a impact driver. I saw a manual one from PA?

You got this!
I use an electric impact gun.

I heard the manual type is better as it applies pressure and spins it, where as a gun just spins is and could possibly ruin the fastener.
Huh? Air powered is dependant on air supply. Electric has constant power supply, usually with more available torque (for the backyard mechanic) Either are capable of stripping the bolt head if used improperly with the wrong choice of tooling.

Huh? Air powered is dependant on air supply. Electric has constant power supply, usually with more available torque (for the backyard mechanic) Either are capable of stripping the bolt head if used improperly with the wrong choice of tooling.
He is talking about the manual hammer type which is far less likely to strip it and would be best to get the started.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

I hope this doesn't turn into a helicoil thread. Sometimes, if it looks like things are going to go sideways, a reputable mechanic is the way to go.

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

I hope this doesn't turn into a helicoil thread. Sometimes, if it looks like things are going to go sideways, a reputable mechanic is the way to go.

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk
I've already had this in the back of my mind, might just call HD, and a couple of local mechanics to see what it would cost, instead of being frustrated by this.

this type, decent vid, minus the title

I use one fairly frequently. The trick is to have a 4 pound dead blow hammer and the proper bit.
Well I have the proper bits (T45) and none of them fit very tightly. Even on the new bolts there is a bit of play. Bought a new T45 and same thing.
These bits I bought are from Canadian Tire and Home Depot (Husky). Unless there is a better option?

Well I have the proper bits (T45) and none of them fit very tightly. Even on the new bolts there is a bit of play. Bought a new T45 and same thing.
These bits I bought are from Canadian Tire and Home Depot (Husky). Unless there is a better option?
Snap-on or Wurth ?

Thanks, I usually prefer to walk in a have something in hand, but if I have more time on this project might order it.
At least the Snap-On has pricing. These contractor stores bug me sometimes when they don't have pricing until you ready to order etc.

this type, decent vid, minus the title
Who protects a big lump of steel in a plastic case? No wonder we have so much garbage. I have a few of those, I rarely use them.

Here's another option. Fits in an air hammer. You press down, air hammer provides vibration, your other arm provides twist. Allows you to control all three forces independently.

41EnMA82TNL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

You guys are all overthinking this. This could be done with the right amount of heat and just a torx bit in a ratchet.
I agree for most cases. Since it was a police bike, you're never sure if the last mechanic left a red loctite present for the next guy. Always start with the easiest/least likely to cause destruction method and work your way up if required.

You guys are all overthinking this. This could be done with the right amount of heat and just a torx bit in a ratchet.
I will gladly drop off my wheel :LOL:
What is the right amount of heat, because when I tried with my butane torch it didn't seem to do anything, also mentioned the torx bits don't fit so well, even with my new bolts.... 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom