Stuck rotor bolts | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stuck rotor bolts

I agree for most cases. Since it was a police bike, you're never sure if the last mechanic left a red loctite present for the next guy. Always start with the easiest/least likely to cause destruction method and work your way up if required.
yeah well I don't believe it matters it being a Police bike, with used vehicles you never know what you get or how it was abused.
The bolts come with locktite pre-applied.

I use one fairly frequently. The trick is to have a 4 pound dead blow hammer and the proper bit.
I've always believed the "trick" is to compress the spring by hand before hitting it with the 4 pounder.
He doesn't show that in the video.

I have a Vessel impact driver I purchased it about 45 - 50 years ago, just like the one in the picture.

Pretty basic tech, still works, although I haven't used it in years.

Vessel-Impact-Driver-with-4-bits-2.jpg

Why would you do that? A lot of manufacturers have switched over to torx for one simple reason. It's better.
In our plant we use a lot of fasteners, the main advantage of Torx is lower cost to manufacturers. Torx assemble faster, more reliably and are easier on workers and tools

It’s not as good, cheap or easy as hex head, but way better than Phillips or Allen when hex bolts are not possible.

You guys are all overthinking this. This could be done with the right amount of heat and just a torx bit in a ratchet.
That is how I’d do it.

Torx does not cam out unless you get sideways with your tool. Dead blow Impact drivers might do the job, but they are not the tool I’d use for Torx fasteners.

My preference is a 3/8 battery powered impact gun. These are a easier to keep straight than a ratchet.

Heat might be needed to break a lock tite or rust bond.

Finally, stainless fasteners might be used on your brake rotors. Stainless bolts might take 2-3 times as much torque to remove than to install.

Back
Top Bottom