Stubborn caliper bolt :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stubborn caliper bolt :(

Corsara

Site Supporter
I don't remember what I did when I last removed the calipers and the wheel a few months ago, but I must have put blue loctite on the caliper bolts, because I cannot remove one of them no matter what I try. I just spent 2 hours trying to remove this bolt, it is (was!) a hex screw head, which I stripped, so I started cutting it to create tracks for some other tool. I'd imagine if I had a large flat screw driver bit, I'll be able to take it out now, but do they even sell such somewhere? I tried with whatever metal I have at hand, everything bends, and the angle is really bad too, so a larger tool cannot go.. Please help! This is driving me nuts! What are my options?

Here is the (now massacred) bolt:

1-2013-02-02185121_zpsb88f7c53.jpg

Two options I can think of.

1)
- Cut/grind the bolt head off completely, remove caliper then use vise-grips on the remnants of the bolt.
- Get new bolt
- Don't use Loctite
- If the stuck bolt is preventing caliper removal... proceed to option 2.

2)
- Remove LH caliper and fender.
- Remove axle
- Pull wheel forward, you MIGHT have enough clearance to rotate the fork out once the caliper is free of the rotor.
- Then you still need to cut/grind the head off and remove the caliper then remove the remnants of the bolt.
- Get new bolt
- Don't use Loctite

Thanks. About cutting/grinding the bolt head off, I'm so worried not to accidentally touch and hurt the calipers...but if nothing else works, that's what I'll try. Oh, and yeah---no loctite from now on on these bolts...the new bolts.

View attachment 31117 I'd go impact with slot bit and give her a wack!

I was looking online at CT for such slot bits, didn't find any.. now that I have made a slot on top of the head, these might actually do the trick..hmm

Thanks. About cutting/grinding the bolt head off, I'm so worried not to accidentally touch and hurt the calipers...but if nothing else works, that's what I'll try. Oh, and yeah---no loctite from now on on these bolts...the new bolts.

I was looking online at CT for such slot bits, didn't find any.. now that I have made a slot on top of the head, these might actually do the trick..hmm

Frequently an impact driver will come with bits like that. Using a regular socket slash screwdriver bit won't work, it'll just break like everything else did.

Frequently an impact driver will come with bits like that. Using a regular socket slash screwdriver bit won't work, it'll just break like everything else did.

my impact driver didn't come with any....but you get what you pay for. The slotted bits in the picture above look like they are designed for impact driver. I wish I could locate such and buy it, that include a very wide slot..

Id imagine that the tire/wheel would be in the way but you might be able to drill the bolt head off.

drill hole in bolt head and use easy out.....google "easy out"

Yes, the tire is in the way for drilling. But I wonder if it's possible to remove the wheel with the caliper on...hmmm. I should try that. Then it will be easy---drill head off, vise-grips and done...

I have easy out set already, also I have those wrenches that are for unscrewing bolts with rounded heads. Tried, didn't really work, it was just eating through the bolt heads..

Yes, the tire is in the way for drilling. But I wonder if it's possible to remove the wheel with the caliper on...hmmm. I should try that. Then it will be easy---drill head off, vise-grips and done...

I have easy out set already, also I have those wrenches that are for unscrewing bolts with rounded heads. Tried, didn't really work, it was just eating through the bolt heads..

You can get the wheel off with caliper on(unless theres something really unusual about that setup) Do not drill the head off, if you slip into caliper it will be bummer. Center drill appropriate smaller hole for easy out.

You can get the wheel off with caliper on(unless theres something really unusual about that setup) Do not drill the head off, if you slip into caliper it will be bummer. Center drill appropriate smaller hole for easy out.

I'll try this today.

I tried yesterday with the ratcheting wrenches I have, which are the same bolt/nut remover sockets too at the end. No luck :(

Some heat might help free up the loctite. Don't go nuts, but I've found thats the best way to free up loctite with the least amount of damage.

Ive had this happen 2 times already with Kawi radial caliper bolts, as they are pretty soft and a 6mm allen head and strip easily when people over tighten them

Both times I went with drilling the head off the bolt, then turning the threads out with vise grips or an ezout ...You made such a mess of that head already Im not sure if you have much choice but to drill it off

Subscribing to read later as I have the same problem.

I'm still working on the damn bolt. After this, I think I'll need a new caliper (see pics below). Things I tried today:

1) Impact driver with a slotted bit (I bought a whole set for 39 bucks to get to the damn bit) ==> failure, it was just jumping around hitting the caliper, the bolt didn't budge...

2) Cutting it off with a rotary tool and a fiber reinforced cutting disk. Been at it for 1 hour already, my rotary tool is overheating!!!

I think I'm going to attempt drilling now and inserting an easy out... It's too light to say I'm ******, I feel like I wanna take the bike outside and set it on fire!!!! My wife is making fun of me saying all the noise in the garage and burnt smell, she thought I'm building something big for the house...and it's just a tiny little bolt....god damn...

1-P1110044_zpse4826b84.jpg

2-P1110048_zpse21bf9a2.jpg

K .. i would forget the easy out at this point , they suck at most points .. .. Asuming the caliper will come off once you get the head off the bolt ..Center punch the head and use a drill a bit bigger then the the shank of the bolt to drill vertically into the bolt and cut the head free. Then get the caliper off , then work on the bolt ! Make sure u center punch the center of the bolt !

Back
Top Bottom