Stripped axle and castle nut | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stripped axle and castle nut

iegod

If I was riding around on a stripped axle and castle nut, what could I expect to happen to my rear tire?

I took in my bike to kahuna for new tires. This should have been a one day job. Midway through the day I'm informed that my axle and nut are stripped. The bike was fine prior to that. I had even adjusted my chain slack without issue. Did they strip it when removing it?

Also it seems they can't give me a straight answer on when the bike will be ready, I've been holding for three days and each day it's the same story "we'll have the parts tomorrow and get it ready for you". This is really frustrating.

- The tire goes crooked, jams into the swingarm, locks up and you crash OR - The tire goes crooked, the chain jumps, jams, locks up the wheel and you crash I'm sure there are other possibilities... most of which end in "you crash."

The axle/castle nut - for the rear. Its job is it keep the tire in place on the swing arm tightly. The nut and threads on the axle - sandwich the wheel together.

If the threads are mucked up, it might be still possible to tighten/sandwich the wheel in place, but this will make chain adjustments difficult in the future without the proper tools. Threads will only last so long before they give out.

If there is no thread left - then you cannot tighten the axle/wheel - wheel cannot be sandwiched in place - making the bike unsafe to ride. The chain/sprocket/wheel will preload and unload during accel/decel - which will eventually tug on the axle/wheel...and it is possilble to for the chian to come off to wear the bearing out or lock up the wheel.

"The bike was fine prior to that. I had even adjusted my chain slack without issue. Did they strip it when removing it?"
--> When was the last time you totally removed the castle nut from the axle??.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom