Step by Step guide from getting your licence to buying your bike | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Step by Step guide from getting your licence to buying your bike

Plus if you're looking for a deal, pulling a wad of cash always helps negotiations move along. Pulling an e-transfer? Not so much. Lol

Plus if you're looking for a deal, pulling a wad of cash always helps negotiations move along. Pulling an e-transfer? Not so much. Lol

Yeah, just trying to relate to a younger crowd. I have no eff'n idea how any of that ecom stuff works ?

I've update the first post with all the latest info. If you notice any info thats wrong or missing let me know and I'll add it.

I think the sales tax is collected when you go register your vehicle at the ontario service centre. You can write the amount for the bike on the uvip package where it has a bill of sale section and that is the amount they will tax.

Do they actually check the retail value of the bike somewhere or can you and the seller undervalue it on the UVIP?

Do they actually check the retail value of the bike somewhere or can you and the seller undervalue it on the UVIP?
No they don't and yes you can.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I find the entire purchasing process completely paradoxical. You need plates to ride the bike, but you can't get them cause you need insurance, but you can't get the insurance until you have the VIN and then you are just sort of in this completely busted loop where you're likely illegally riding the bike to your home as no one has time to drop bikes.

I find the entire purchasing process completely paradoxical. You need plates to ride the bike, but you can't get them cause you need insurance, but you can't get the insurance until you have the VIN and then you are just sort of in this completely busted loop where you're likely illegally riding the bike to your home as no one has time to drop bikes.
Vin is as easy as a photo?

It's not paradoxical. It just requires a bit of pre-planning.

As mentioned before, the seller can send you the VIN beforehand, then it's up to you to arrange for insurance and get a temporary plate from the MTO beforehand, so you can ride it to a garage to get it certified and then get it properly registered.

I’ve had insurance companies cover me to drive home on plates from another vehicle

It's not paradoxical. It just requires a bit of pre-planning.

As mentioned before, the seller can send you the VIN beforehand, then it's up to you to arrange for insurance and get a temporary plate from the MTO beforehand, so you can ride it to a garage to get it certified and then get it properly registered.
They can get you temp plates without a safety?

They can get you temp plates without a safety?

Yes. That's the whole idea behind temp plates, so you can ride it to the garage to get it certified.

Things have changed since I've left, the temp plate used to be a piece of paper you put on your dash or stash it in your jacket if you're riding a motorcycle:

300px-2004_Ontario_license_plate_10_day_permit.jpg

But since 2012, they've changed it so now you need to buy a real metal plate for $20, and then you buy a "temporary plate sticker" which gives you a red T in the upper right-hand corner of your plate:

8749241761_d4bd4c6b4c_z.jpg

Then after you safety certify your vehicle, you go back to the MTO to get a real plate sticker to replace the temporary "T" sticker.

Last edited:
Still the same piece of paper..I rode back from Quebec on that paper.

That might be a bit different, there's a 10-day trip permit for driving out-of-province vehicles into Ontario:

For Ontario-registered vehicles, the temporary license plate sticker is the new way:

Or perhaps motorcycles still use the old paper plate system? Can't see that though...

That might be a bit different, there's a 10-day trip permit for driving out-of-province vehicles into Ontario:

For Ontario-registered vehicles, the temporary license plate sticker is the new way:

Or perhaps motorcycles still use the old paper plate system? Can't see that though...

Yes, that's right. I stand corrected. I rode back from Quebec on a 10 day temporary registration certificate which was a yellow piece of paper (hence the confusion) that I just folded up and threw away once I plated my bike after entering Ontario.

edit - found one of the photos from the day I bought the bike - this is what I meant:

1630436194444.png

Last edited:
To some it would seem that the order of all this is wrong, but not when you think of it from an auto perspective. Know anyone who has bought a car before getting their license or knowing how to drive? No? well people do this with motorcycles every day.

The correct order is this:

1. Book the Rider Training Course (even before M1)

2. Now that you know when the course is happening go write your M1 test. You dont want to do this before booking as the M1 license only lasts 60 days so avoid having to do it twice. People for example write it in November or January but the courses start late April or May

3. PASS the course before you buy a bike. You will get to try different styles of motorcycles on the course and will have a better idea of what actually works for you.

4. Go look at actual bikes now that you know more. Get insurance quotes on bikes you are considering

5. Buy your motorcycle, insure, and RIDE SAFE. Start slowly

NFP Moto has the BEST insurance rates for new riders. For a quote email to: moto@nfp.com or call: 1-888-841-2621

To some it would seem that the order of all this is wrong, but not when you think of it from an auto perspective. Know anyone who has bought a car before getting their license or knowing how to drive? No? well people do this with motorcycles every day.

The correct order is this:

1. Book the Rider Training Course (even before M1)

2. Now that you know when the course is happening go write your M1 test. You dont want to do this before booking as the M1 license only lasts 60 days so avoid having to do it twice. People for example write it in November or January but the courses start late April or May

3. PASS the course before you buy a bike. You will get to try different styles of motorcycles on the course and will have a better idea of what actually works for you.

4. Go look at actual bikes now that you know more. Get insurance quotes on bikes you are considering

5. Buy your motorcycle, insure, and RIDE SAFE. Start slowly

NFP Moto has the BEST insurance rates for new riders. For a quote email to: moto@nfp.com or call: 1-888-841-2621
Hi, for point1, where or how to find 'training courses' in Mississauga or GTA area? should I call driving center and they will assist me?

MTOhp
RTI
Learning Curves

You are looking for M1X (M1 exit) course.

They will provide the bike and training. You will need to provide gear. Helmet, gloves, jacket, and full length pants.
sorry if my question is stupid.
Say, i have 25+ years experience with Bike (back home in India) so wondering if still worth going through complete training here before getting a Bike? Or any short training you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom