Steel cutting.

cycling

Site Supporter
Looking for someone can cut a small piece of steel. 2" x 1"
Too big to cut.
Brampton. Mississauga area.

Thanks.

RockyMounts Hitch Extension Receiver.​

I have a chop saw with a metal blade, but likely farther away than you'd like.
That said 2"x1" sounds like hack saw country.

Does anyone have a favorite reasonably compact cutting tool that they'd recommend? Not for something as big as the OP's hitch extension thing, but 1.5 inch angle iron, 1/8" or 1/4" flat steel or aluminum stock, threaded rod, etc.

I've already bought into the Milwaukee M12 system and the M12 hackzall is okay on softer stuff, but it's not great on steel. I was originally thinking of something in between a Dremel and an angle grinder. The M12 cut off tool fits that niche, but it appears to be intended for thin sheet metal like ductwork, flashing and gutters, and a lot of reviews complain about it stalling in anything heavier.

Now I'm thinking maybe something like a 7.25" chop saw would be better? Way more powerful, but still small and light enough to store on a shelf.

Does anyone have a favorite reasonably compact cutting tool that they'd recommend? Not for something as big as the OP's hitch extension thing, but 1.5 inch angle iron, 1/8" or 1/4" flat steel or aluminum stock, threaded rod, etc.

I've already bought into the Milwaukee M12 system and the M12 hackzall is okay on softer stuff, but it's not great on steel. I was originally thinking of something in between a Dremel and an angle grinder. The M12 cut off tool fits that niche, but it appears to be intended for thin sheet metal like ductwork, flashing and gutters, and a lot of reviews complain about it stalling in anything heavier.

Now I'm thinking maybe something like a 7.25" chop saw would be better? Way more powerful, but still small and light enough to store on a shelf.
What's the problem with a cheap 4.5" angle grinder? Almost an order of magnitude cheaper than the options you are considering.

Last edited:
What's the problem with a cheap 4.5" angle grinder? Almost an order of magnitude cheaper that the options you are considering.
I've got one, but it's never gotten much use and it's not the first thing I think of grabbing for some reason. Maybe I should load it up with a metal cutting wheel and store it closer to hand and see how that goes.

What's the problem with a cheap 4.5" angle grinder? Almost an order of magnitude cheaper that the options you are considering.
Yup.... angle grinder and a zip cut disc will do most of your metal cutting needs.

Please be careful with them.... they bite fast and deep.

Securing your workpiece is 90% of the battle. A cheap bench vise is a game changer.

Please be careful with them.... they bite fast and deep.

Securing your workpiece is 90% of the battle. A cheap bench vise is a game changer.
That's probably more than half the reason I don't use it much. Loud, torquey and intimidating. For space reasons my vice lives on an overhead shelf, so getting it down just adds to the whole overhead of the process, but I have to deal with that for most of my other cutting tools anyway.

Prep with metal working is the key. Spending time planning and securing saves time in the long run.
Fast and sloppy ends up being slow and dangerous.

If you secure everything and have space to work in, you will gain confidence in your tools because you have control.

Holding the part and one hand and the tool in the other will always feel bad and lead to bad results.

Another thing that will up your game... rough out first and then finish. Scribe your lines and cut well away from them. Nibble away for finishing.

You will be amazed how good your stuff ends up looking and fitting.

Again... not to sound elitist... BUT I betcha I cut a lot more metals than most here. I gots cut off saws, reciprocating saws, shears, lathe, mill (don't have a plasma)... all that stuff.
MOST, like the VAST majority, of metal cutting gets done with a hand saw and a file. it's good exercise and very Zen. (it also takes more time to screw up a work piece with a file... you have to work at it, chow the mill into the work piece and that's the end of that... and the mill).
I'll make fun of ya for leaving tool marks, cuz you got the feed or speed wrong. No comment on file marks.

That's probably more than half the reason I don't use it much. Loud, torquey and intimidating. For space reasons my vice lives on an overhead shelf, so getting it down just adds to the whole overhead of the process, but I have to deal with that for most of my other cutting tools anyway.
While it isn't ideal for a grinder, a hitch attachment for the vice so you can slide it into your trailer hitch can be helpful if you don't have a place to mount it permanently. For most jobs you wouldn't even need to pin it, just slide the tongue in.

I've got one, but it's never gotten much use and it's not the first thing I think of grabbing for some reason. Maybe I should load it up with a metal cutting wheel and store it closer to hand and see how that goes.
For stuff like that, I just use and disc cutter with a zip disc. Easy and quick, but the cuts may not be the straightest.

All depends on how precise you need to be.

Just be careful with if. Guy at work wasn’t careful and the tool caught some loose clothing, clipped his gut and as he tried to turn it off it caught a glove and went and injured his whole palm.

I won’t get into details, but needless to say it’s a hospital visit and stitches…if you’re lucky.

What's the problem with a cheap 4.5" angle grinder? Almost an order of magnitude cheaper than the options you are considering.
I have lots of steel cutting stuff, the most used is a cheep 120v grinder with zip cut wheels.

Forget about cordless, a 5a battery on my Milli grinder lasts 4-5 minutes.

If you’re doing a lot of light stock cross cuts, PA puts their 14” chop saws on sale occasionally for $100.

Plate steel? Get a Cut 50 plasma off Amazon for $200, will cut 3/8 like butter and 1/2 if you get good.

I have several methods available. For that I would have zipped it in the chop saw or scribed a line and cut by hand. I have an assortment of end mills and carbide tips for sale if anyone is interested.

That looks like work. I'd rather press a button then go surf GTAM on my computer. ;)

AP1GczMOr2NMAMS9OWiQmVhEJhPyUx0NhP1OLAx9FKS4gLSlWeeUVGYsfJEu9UGUrIqLEFwFOwCyP1eibnAKbaouskS17S_zWts9CecGqUf-C22DdacMf_3B18ylgioDGHtngeCv1tMk94eizCQ6OnRktJq-=w1230-h919-s-no-gm

Back
Top Bottom