Stealerships drive me crazy! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stealerships drive me crazy!

corpse

Site Supporter
I can't stand it when I go into a stealership to check out the next bike I want to buy (new or used) and I end up knowing more about the bike than the sales person does! I mean, if your trying to sell a product that so many people are into to the point of obsession. Would it not be beneficial to know the product inside and out so you can be helpful and inform your potential customer of the fact/details about the bike?

All this ends up doing is making me not want to spend the money and I leave frustrated.

Maybe I just keep getting the wrong sales people to talk to me... maybe they are actually used car salesmen in disguise!

i can understand if they are a honda dealer and have a used kawi on the lot they wouldnt know that much about it.

what are you looking at buying?

I can't stand it when I go into a stealership to check out the next bike I want to buy (new or used) and I end up knowing more about the bike than the sales person does! I mean, if your trying to sell a product that so many people are into to the point of obsession. Would it not be beneficial to know the product inside and out so you can be helpful and inform your potential customer of the fact/details about the bike?

All this ends up doing is making me not want to spend the money and I leave frustrated.

Maybe I just keep getting the wrong sales people to talk to me... maybe they are actually used car salesmen in disguise!

You run into everyone. I asked out of curiosity how much the first service for my brand new bike will cost at a dealership I shall not name.

After showing me an estimate which was over $250 for something that amounts to an oil change and checking the torque on some of the screws (forgot what the manual said) I had said I will just change the oil myself.

He promptly replied "No.. don't do it, you'll void your warranty." ..... Yeah OK buddy.

Have you been to the bike show? Those people are clueless too.

Last time I went to a car dealership, I told the guy the rear seat can swing out of the way. He's like.... really? Yeh, really really

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Couldn't agree with you more. What I've found is that these shops are now taking on so many manufacturers, it becomes more prevalent that the sales people know zero about the various bikes that they are selling. What works for me is I do all my research online and ask other owners before making my purchase. I have low expectations from sales people and only expect them to do the paperwork for me. And yes, this is not how a business should operate.

Some salesman are clueless, others act dumb so they let you feel knowledgeable and superior while they try to milk you.

Sadly I have to agree. I've gone to a few dealerships (cars and bikes) and I end up knowing more about the car/bike that I'm looking at....which is sad...considering they're the professional.

When I was in car sales I knew anything and everything about the cars on our lot...BUT...I loved cars! I find a lot of the sales guys today don't care about the car/product it's just a paycheque. People think that commission sales (cars, real estate, etc.) is easy money so they go into it and push product. That's the way I see it nowadays anyway.

sounds like someone doesn't like playing Stump The Salesman.

i can understand if they are a honda dealer and have a used kawi on the lot they wouldnt know that much about it.
This is true, if you walk into a dealership that sells only used bikes like VOS, it's hard for the salesman to know every little detail about every bike, it just won't happen. But if you walk into a Honda dealer to buy a CBR and the sales person has no clue, either he's new and still learning the ropes or just doesn't care.

It is your job to research the product you're interested in and know what you're getting yourself into.

This is true, if you walk into a dealership that sells only used bikes like VOS, it's hard for the salesman to know every little detail about every bike, it just won't happen. But if you walk into a Honda dealer to buy a CBR and the sales person has no clue, either he's new and still learning the ropes or just doesn't care.

It is your job to research the product you're interested in and know what you're getting yourself into.

Oh you get nothing but top talent wanting that 6 figure jobs selling two wheels for four months a year......

The gross profit on a 250 is huge....sell one of those babies and you're set for the year....

I'm sure with all the customers coming in & asking the same questions they will know the bike inside out. I'm sure questions get repeated

Sent from my tablet using my paws

You run into everyone. I asked out of curiosity how much the first service for my brand new bike will cost at a dealership I shall not name.

After showing me an estimate which was over $250 for something that amounts to an oil change and checking the torque on some of the screws (forgot what the manual said) I had said I will just change the oil myself.

He promptly replied "No.. don't do it, you'll void your warranty." ..... Yeah OK buddy.

Filling your gas tank voids the warranty too!

Salesmen aren't mechanics, don't expect them to know anything, they just want your money. They say things "This bike can go fast and it handles really well" along with the rest of what comes out of their mouth is also their sales pitch.

Think of it this way, if you get a call from a telemarketer selling you windows, chances are they haven't got a clue of how much they cost. Try asking them, its pretty funny. (I was a telemarketer at one point)

That being said, some of them actually know what they're talking about cause they actually ride...

Last edited:
Dealership, is just a place where they seem to sell what you want (and there's not many other places you can get that thing from). Treat it as such, don't judge whether they are smart, educated etc. If you have choice and don't like the place, walk away and try someone else.

At the end of the day, you will most likely not see them ever again once you ride away ... so why to get hang up on how much they know about a bike you are interested in.

Cut the salespeople a bit of slack.Do you know how much they are paid?

OP, you have unrealistic expectations. Sales people aren't going to know every little tidbit about the product that you are selling, and they don't have to. The large majority of the people that walk into a showroom aren't on this forum and don't research every detail about the product they are looking to buy. They go in, say ooooh that's shiny, put down some money, and ride out.

The most successful sales people know very little about the product they are selling. A sales person sells themselves not the actual product.

I worked at a major Toronto bike shop for a little bit a while back, I'm pretty sure the top sales people didn't ride a bike and possibly didn't even know how to.

Last edited:
I really can't find fault in a salesman who doesn't match their level of enthusiasm or obsessive knowledge about a product to yours. If you know everything there is to know about the bike, then why not focus the conversation on information that you need to know about that the salesman is an expert on - ie, financing and pricing, etc... If you are going to the dealership to just talk about the bike (and already know everything about it) then it merely suggests your indecisive and hesitant and I doubt any conversation with a salesman will sway you. I'd suggest you already know what you want. Grab your nut-sack (figuratively), and act. Buy or don't.

Looking at a used belt drive bike....."you should have x amount of slack in that belt" Salesman: All the bikes in the showroom have belts that tight" Oh Oh. I don't know if that's good or bad did not read whole thread.

Back
Top Bottom