Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT... | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sport bikes are not beginner bikes BUT...

Test rode a Honda CBR250RA a week or so ago. It was fun. Was hard for the first bit, to not bounce it off of the rev limiter, especially in first gear. I had to hold it back from passing the 600 ahead of me from the stop, until he hit the magic number of rpm's then his afterburners would light. But I could just wait and catch him in the corners. I've heard that it won't do 160, but with the traffic laws the way they are, that may be a good thing.

Sundancekid, let's be truthful here. Is it just ego telling you to buy a 600 as a first bike? Or your buddies telling you to not be a pussy? Trust me, I've read it all on the forums. There's nothing wrong with picking up a 125, a 250 or if you want something more 'full-sized', a GS500 or Ninja 500R. Lots of them around used, cheap, and lots of available parts. Buy one. Make your mistakes on it and get comfortable. Then let ego and vanity take over after a year or two.

Actually ego had nothing to do with it. I was looking at it from a financial, safety and skill development point of view. I didn't want to buy something that would get me killed, nor did I want something that felt under powered when taking a passenger or passing a truck. Everyone knows that your bike handles differently with a passenger so that was a small factor in my consideration. In addition, if I bought a 125 I would've only kept it for 1 season then upgraded to something else the year after. I also considered the fees/taxes associated and was trying to avoid them by not hopping from one bike to another and make a responsible decision at the same time.

fyi, i think he did buy a 500, so he 'anticipated' your advice and took it to heart!

I gave serious consideration to everyone's feedback and I'm satisfied with my decision. Not going with a 600 right off the bat was/is the right choice for me. In a year or two I will likely go with something else, if not a sport bike it might be some type of cruiser.

Always better to wait a few seasons, until you are past your most dangerous point before taking on passengers.

It's all about what you want and are comfortable with. I knew fullout the 250 was slow and I was gonna regret it when I picked it up but hey that's life. To be honest I only got it so that I would know how a bran new motorcycle is supposed to feel like that way when I buy used I know what to look for. And for those people on the forum who take everything litterally the 250 has a hard time pulling after 100km anyone who tells me otherwise still owns a 250 lol. Just have fun man to each his own. The problem with forums is everyone is a keyboard warrior an they just like o bash every comment they can. I didn't post my orig comment to try to act cool that's just how I feel about the subject. BBBOOYYA!

Ppl who suggested he needs to learn on a bike that is not supersport are the ppl who are still healthy and enjoy riding today, and be responsible and cautious about riding when you also have to deal with heavy traffic, crazy cagers, etc. Everyone can ride on a straight away with no cagers, or non-traffic hours, but what happened when you have a stop-and-go traffic with a supersport? it's do-able but for newbies?

If you actually wasted money on 250, you are doing something wrong... many ppl bought a 250, and sold it back out about the same price after a year or 2.

It's not go big or go home... it's actually be cautious or be dead.

And by the way I'm still alive bud.

I doubt anyone looks this deep in threads, but I thought this was interesting reading. I just got back into bikes after 25 years in cars. I did ride for 6 years before the 25 year break. Some would say I should have gotten a 250 because of years away. I bought a BMW R1100S. I just wouldn't be happy with something gutless - might as well stick with a car otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I am a very cautious rider, but want some go, I want it without floating the red line.

The SS bikes almost beg you to race them. I don't know what it was, but when I was younger, lying low over a bike made me feel like I was on a racetrack. I don't see the problem for people starting out on a bigger bike, but the SS bikes are a recipe for disaster for many experienced riders let alone new riders. Insurance on my Beamer was 530 with full collision and comprehensive. A SS would have been over a 1100.

Back
Top Bottom