Speedometer dropping to zero | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speedometer dropping to zero

lildevilx

Hey guys, my 02 sv650 started to develop a problem with the speedo where while riding it'll randomly drop to zero. When I go below 10km/h it seems like it fixes the problem until I go say about 60km/h and it'll drop to zero again.

Any idea what could be causing this? Possibly the speed sensor?

(I'm finally got my m test booked and it's coming up soon, would that be a good excuse if I go a bit too fast? ??)

You better hope it is the speed sensor because everything else is way more expensive :|
Almost for sure it is magnetic based sensor, might be as simple as some metal shavings somewhere they should not be.

Given that its an '02, pull the front wheel, clean the speed sensor with contact cleaner and inspect the front wheel bearings.
If they are starting to let go, then that might contribute to the problem.

thanks guys,

I'll take the wheel off sometime this week, hopefully its something easy!
any suggestion on how to keep the front up with a center stand? :p

Hang it from a strong overhead support, something like a garage door frame usually works.
Tractor bucket works if you have one.

Hang it from a strong overhead support, something like a garage door frame usually works.
Tractor bucket works if you have one.

Do a lot of reading as putting the front wheel/speed sensor back together can be finicky on this bike. Also fwiw due to personal experience I suspect it may be the speedo cluster that is your issue but definitely start by checking the speed sensor

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I just put a heavy backpack on the pillion seat.
It needs at least 300lbs on the back. to weight it down =/ ( I've tried sitting on the pillion and have to really jump on it for the bike to tilt to the back wheels.

Sounds like the best would be lift the front + weights on the back

Last edited:
It needs at least 300lbs on the back. to weight it down =/ ( I've tried sitting on the pillion and have to really jump on it for the bike to tilt to the back wheels.

Sounds like the best would be lift the front + weights on the back
Well that's interesting. I have never had a bike on a centrestand with that much weight forward. I wonder if the stand is mounted too far back? In any case, you have the concept down, just set something up that works for your situation.

Well that's interesting. I have never had a bike on a centrestand with that much weight forward. I wonder if the stand is mounted too far back? In any case, you have the concept down, just set something up that works for your situation.
personally I think the center stand is too far back. but there isn't any other place/ways to mount it otherwise. It makes using a center stand dolly annoying to use =/

If you lift the front from 2 high points, such as the handlebars for instance,
you won't need the centre stand it will rotate quite nicely around the rear wheel :| it's just going to pull a big stationary wheelie.
Besides, the front is going to get much lighter once you remove the front wheel.
2 ratchet straps will do it and the bike can't possibly fall over on you if it's hanging from above.

And here is the results!

Google says the speed sensor shouldnt look like this.

Bad news, I don't think I can gets the parts and installed on time before my M2 exit. So gonna have to go with the phone speedo app.

Back
Top Bottom