Speeding ticket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding ticket

jsinger21

Hi there,

I got my first speeding ticket. I was in York Region and there was a car ahead of me and the cop pulled me over behind him. He stated I was going 81kmh in a 60kph zone. I said I didn't realize I was traveling that fast. He came back to me and gave me a $40 ticket for 70kph in a 60kph zone.

What are my options?

I appreciate all the feedback I can receive about this situation. My wife was with me at the time and doesn't believe I was speeding that fast.

Well, if your wife doesn't think you were going that fast, you shouldn't have any problem getting out of it. ;)

Seriously though, is a $40 ticket a big deal? Not that I would be okay with getting one but do you even lose points for 10 over?

Well, if your wife doesn't think you were going that fast, you shouldn't have any problem getting out of it. ;)

Seriously though, is a $40 ticket a big deal? Not that I would be okay with getting one but do you even lose points for 10 over?
You do not gain points for 10 Km over, but it is still an infraction as far as insurance is concerned. One is probably not a problem with most insurances, second one could affect your rates.
personally I would consider fighting it, just for the insurance issues. There are lots of threads here on the best way to fight a ticket and what are your chances.

$10, $100, $200 ticket, they all count the same against you as far as the insurance industry is concerned. Only the big majors (like street racing and careless driving or speeding in the 45+ over the limit range) are treated differently. Take it to court. Read ticketcombat.com. If you're uncomfortable with it, hire a paralegal. Sit in on some court session. Check out this forum. Do your homework, but take it to court.

Can someone please post the thread steps to appeal the ticket?

There is a big stickied thread. I found the ticketcombat site to be more useful but the big thread contains lots of specific experiences that you should also read up on.

For starters, I don't believe I was speeding. It's a matter of principal. Someone told me to go to the courthouse and make an appointment to speak to the prosecutor instead of setting a date with the judge. Is that correct? Can I set an appointment with the prosecutor instead of a judge to have the case heard and dropped (if necessary)?

Thanks!

You should tell that someone to stop doing drugs and surrender the stash to me.

For starters, I don't believe I was speeding. It's a matter of principal. Someone told me to go to the courthouse and make an appointment to speak to the prosecutor instead of setting a date with the judge. Is that correct? Can I set an appointment with the prosecutor instead of a judge to have the case heard and dropped (if necessary)?

Thanks!

All of this, including scheduling a "First Attendance" with The Crown, is covered in the sticky thread. Pay particular attention to requesting disclosure.

All of this, including scheduling a "First Attendance" with The Crown, is covered in the sticky thread. Pay particular attention to requesting disclosure.

He's probably gonna ask you for a direct link to the post and if the post is too long, to just quote the relevant section here :cool:

You should tell that someone to stop doing drugs and surrender the stash to me.

Best thing I heard all day, lol. Awesome.

Seriously though, you fight it, have your day with the judge and it's over. I fought a ticket only once, but it was very straight forward if you have the resources. I wouldn't hire someone if you don't mind taking the time to do it yourself.

Hi all,

I met with the prosecutor in York Region yesterday. He said that if I fight the charge and plead "NOT GUILTY", the original offense of 81kph in a 60kph will be submitted. He said the day of the court, the charge could be reduced again to 10kph over the limit. He said the choice was mine. I decided to plead guilty to 70kph in a 60kph. Hopefully my insurance won't increase too much upon renewal.

Hi all,

I met with the prosecutor in York Region yesterday. He said that if I fight the charge and plead "NOT GUILTY", the original offense of 81kph in a 60kph will be submitted. He said the day of the court, the charge could be reduced again to 10kph over the limit. He said the choice was mine. I decided to plead guilty to 70kph in a 60kph. Hopefully my insurance won't increase too much upon renewal.

Congrats on wasting your time. 81 in 60 is treated the same as 61 in 60 by the insurance industry. Unless you're unemployed and getting rides to and from the courtroom for free, it's not worth your time to plead it down. If you take the plea, the prosecutor will laugh and view you as his *****. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from requesting disclosure and showing up to dispute your charges. Even if you are gonna get convicted you should still waste as much of court's time as possible (thus allowing others to get off on 11b). What can they do to you? Raise your ticket amount to original, which would be like $30-40 difference? That's less than 10% of your insurance rate rape for having that conviction on your record in the first place.

Thanks for your support Firestart. It's great to know you really care. I was facing 3 demerit points vs 0 demerit points if I took the plea. At the end of the day, I will fork out the increase. I can't imagine it won't be more than 20% over 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for your support Firestart. It's great to know you really care. I was facing 3 demerit points vs 0 demerit points if I took the plea. At the end of the day, I will fork out the increase. I can't imagine it won't be more than 20% over 2 or 3 years.

And why would those demerits matter? Unless you rack up 9 in 2 years, demerits are a non-issue. I've never had more than 4 and I get ticketed about once a year. In the last 10 years or so, I only got convicted once because I took all of my tickets to court.
You got plenty of good advice in this thread and got pointed to even better resources that could have allowed you to keep your record clean. You chose to ignore it. My comments weren't for your benefit. They were for the benefit of some other poor schmucks who come across this thread. I hope they don't waste their time the way you just did.
Depending on your insurance company, you might luck out and have your first conviction forgiven. However, your second one will result in a 10-15% increase over 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom