Speeding ticket question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding ticket question

Gary

Site Supporter
There's a line on the ticket that has a box for "Collision Involved".
On my ticket it's marked "Yes".
There wasn't any accident. I was going a little over.
Ticket is for 15 over, with the "R" code. (reduced from 30 over)
I have no grounds, or any interest in fighting the fact.
But. I feel the need to take it to court because a collision has been noted.
Any ideas?
The ticket came out of a printer.....I've only had hand written ones in the past.

Too much fun in the vette?

It may be worth an email to the cop (or first appearance with the prosecutor) to get the ticket amended and then pay the fine. That doesn't sound like a fatal error that would result in it being tossed, but I'm with you, having documentation that you were in a collision may come back to bite you with insurance (especially when there was no collision).

Too much fun in the vette?

It may be worth an email to the cop (or first appearance with the prosecutor) to get the ticket amended and then pay the fine. That doesn't sound like a fatal error that would result in it being tossed, but I'm with you, having documentation that you were in a collision may come back to bite you with insurance (especially when there was no collision).

No, it was my truck that's to blame.
Thanks......I'm thinking it's not fatal either, but........

agree it's not material, the inadvertent ticked box
so don't think you can get it tossed

but is certainly worth a visit to the courthouse to get corrected
I'd be very reluctant to pay the fine without that correction

agree it's not material, the inadvertent ticked box
so don't think you can get it tossed

but is certainly worth a visit to the courthouse to get corrected
I'd be very reluctant to pay the fine without that correction

Thanks.
Since the leo actually typed "yes" instead of "no", it's (imo) a little more than a ticked box. This wasn't a hand written ticket. It came off a printer in his car.
As I was waiting, one of his co workers pulled up, HOT. I could see them chat. 2 seconds later, my guy was at my door. He didn't have a second to spare......gave me the goods, very brief schpeel, ran back to his car, and fled.
I have to assume that my ticket was written / typed in haste, incorrectly.

Call your insurance company and ask them if it will affect your rate.

I kill me.

Thanks.

As I was waiting, one of his co workers pulled up, HOT. I could see them chat. 2 seconds later, my guy was at my door. He didn't have a second to spare......gave me the goods, very brief schpeel, ran back to his car, and fled.

There is a special going on at McCafe, any size coffee for a buck......

Call your insurance company and ask them if it will affect your rate.

I kill me.

second visit to the thread to see that....

"Hello Mr/Mrs/Ms Broker
I just got a ticket
cop says there was an accident
but there really wasn't
just want to make sure this is okey dokey
no increases, right? "

def should go well

lol

Go to court and try to get it dropped. That is an error and I’ve seen many withdrawn on technicalities. Don’t call your insurance company as they may mark that as a strike on your record even though it shouldn’t count. If all else fails make sure the judge drops the accident notation and pay the fine although there will be an added court cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to court and try to get it dropped. That is an error and I’ve seen many withdrawn on technicalities. Don’t call your insurance company as they may mark that as a strike on your record even though it shouldn’t count. If all else fails make sure the judge drops the accident notation and pay the fine although there will be an added court cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this.
Re calling ins......lol. (thanks fmj.....have another cocktail)

NOT A FATAL ERROR.
The best you will get is an amendment to the ticket with that check mark removed.

But to what end? Does it matter that the ticket has a check mark in the "Collision Involved" box?
I think the court will see this as trivial, and as such a waste of their time. Not a good court room strategy.
If you are concerned, the first thing I would do is request disclosure to see what is in the officers notes. If there is no mention of collision, I would drop it right there. If there is mention of a collision it is still not a fatal error. You can probably beat the charge, but in court using the officer's testimony.
At that point, if you DO want to continue, I would approach the court clerk to see about getting the ticket amended to remove that devilish check mark (Now that the ticket has been filed the only one that can amend it is a JP, in court).
If you offer to plead guilty, to your reduced speeding ticket, on the condition that they amend the ticket to remove that check mark I will bet dollars to donuts the clerk will jump at the offer.

RE: Fatal Errors on a summons.

So you get pulled over and handed a summons to traffic court.
The purpose of that summons is to get you to court to be formally charged with an offense, in this case speeding.
That is the ONLY purpose of that document. You are not formally charged with anything till you're in court.

So if that document gets you to court, the errors are probably NOT fatal.
https://ontariospeeding.com/fighting-speeding-tickets-court/errors-speeding-tickets/

If he has to go to court anyway to have it amended... why not just fight it while he's there?
Win or lose, he'll have the collision involved mark amended while he's there.

Ok.
It's the smallest ticket possible. That's not my concern. There is NO checkmark. There is NO hand writing on the ticket.
The word YES was typed in the box pertaining to a "collision". That is my concern.

Where's turbo-dish when you need him?

He doesn't have to go to court, unless he thinks the clerk is lying to him when he/she says he/she will have the ticket amended. Court clerks are usually pretty trust worthy, I have found.
Everything I said can be done over the phone or with email.
If you've ever been to traffic court they start with procedural stuff. This would be one of those. The clerk would tell the JP that Gary will plead guilty if they amend the ticket to remove the "YES". The JP will order this, then register a guilty verdict. Bingo, bango. Done in 30 seconds. No appearance required. They can do this in the next session, like tomorrow, not on Gary's court date (if he has one yet).
If the JP says no, it will get put over to a court date, which the clerk will inform Gary of.
Traffic courts are EXTREMELY busy and they love it when you save them time.

Last edited:
I think I'm getting it?
So, I make a mistake going too fast, I'm expected to pay for it.
Issurer of the ticket makes a mistake, and I have to pay for it.
It's all making sense now!
I have zero experience in traffic court.

I think I'm getting it?
So, I make a mistake going too fast, I'm expected to pay for it.
Issurer of the ticket makes a mistake, and I have to pay for it.
It's all making sense now!
I have zero experience in traffic court.

Traffic court is fun, go fight it just to sit in.

Back
Top Bottom