Speeding ticket insurance surcharge | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding ticket insurance surcharge

Got a speeding ticket. Any idea how much % increase I must expect on renewal from a minor speeding ticket. Less than 50% or more ?
Too many variables - some insurance allow for a couple or three minors before a rate bump, some hit after one. How big was the ticket?

Too many variables - some insurance allow for a couple or three minors before a rate bump, some hit after one. How big was the ticket?
120 in a 90 zone (DVP) lol.
Biker Copper was slightly in front/ beside me, I had to accelerate a bit to change lane because someone was tailgating me.

Quick throttle to switch lane but he wrote me up anyways. Was not constantly doing 120.

Just calculating if % increase will be worth keeping the bike next season. Might have to sell supersport and buy a cruiser

If you stay with the same insurance company and don't change anything on your policy, they may not do a record check.

Some only do it every 3 years or so.
They may not catch it with your next renewal, but might on the one after at which point it may go up a little bit. But you would have received a year of "savings".

Sucks that you got one, I hate the feeling. Don't seat it and just move on. There are always options to fight it.
Regardless, I don't think it would go up so much that you would have to sell the bike.

Unless your record is affected from previous/other infractions.

For a minor ticket, most insurance companies won't bother with an increase on 1 ticket....2 or more and you may see an increase. But a single one, TD Meloche told me they don't increase. Not in my case anyway.

It's important to know that the motorcycle insurance policies that I know of (and have had) do not have the same options or leniency as their auto counterparts. In other words, while a car policy may forgive a minor ticket, etc. A bike policy is often less lenient and you will see increases after one ticket, providing they've checked your record on renewal and caught the new ticket of course.

OTT Legal is advising that court is closed until June 1st and they can file ticket online in June to get a court date (For fighting)

First, can this be done online ? Back of ticket is saying I "MUST" attend to court in person to fill Notice to Appear in court for fighting ticket.

I called court to verify if deadline has been extended but no response - Cannot find anything online either.

15 days to choose one of the option is running out.

120 in a 90 zone (DVP) lol.
Biker Copper was slightly in front/ beside me, I had to accelerate a bit to change lane because someone was tailgating me.
ya I can see he would not like that, but how did he actually clock your speed? :unsure: or did 120 just suit his need.

ya I can see he would not like that, but how did he actually clock your speed? :unsure: or did 120 just suit his need.

The funny thing is 120 on the DVP on regular weekdays if it’s not slowed down from traffic is a standard speed. Probably stood out even more now that traffic is so drastically reduced.

OTT Legal is advising that court is closed until June 1st and they can file ticket online in June to get a court date (For fighting)

The paralegal "ticket fighter" people are generally a waste of time and money. They classify a dollar-drop on the fine a "Win" so you pay them..but the ticket still goes on your record anyways.

Unless you have a rock solid valid legal route that you know the ticket may be dismissed on, don't waste your time and money. You can accomplish the same thing they will just showing up and talking to the prosecutor at first appearance.

The paralegal "ticket fighter" people are generally a waste of time and money. They classify a dollar-drop on the fine a "Win" so you pay them..but the ticket still goes on your record anyways.

Unless you have a rock solid valid legal route that you know the ticket may be dismissed on, don't waste your time and money. You can accomplish the same thing they will just showing up and talking to the prosecutor at first appearance.
I would probably challenge tickets now. You have a good chance of the trial being long in the future. Not sure how the courts are going to deal with right to a speedy trial when there is a big gap in the justice system timeline.

Fair argument...but WILL there be a big backlog in tickets? Roads are pretty much empty right now. Insurance companies are rebating premiums because there's almost zero claims. Some cars haven't even left peoples driveways in a month now.

Yes, what tickets ARE being issued are pretty big (like some of the HTA172's the OPP have publicized because of people who think said empty roads are the autobahn) but there's just not a lot of them being written right now in the bigger scheme of things.

Fair argument...but WILL there be a big backlog in tickets? Roads are pretty much empty right now. Insurance companies are rebating premiums because there's almost zero claims. Some cars haven't even left peoples driveways in a month now.

Yes, what tickets ARE being issued are pretty big (like some of the HTA172's the OPP have publicized because of people who think said empty roads are the autobahn) but there's just not a lot of them being written right now in the bigger scheme of things.
I think some police forces have said speeding tickets are up 35%. Easier fishing without the rocks in the stream to slow them down.

EDIT:
Yup
According to data provided to CP24, Toronto police officers issued 2,727 citations for speeding from March 15 to March 31, which covers most of the time that the province has been under a state of emergency.

The number of speeding tickets is up roughly 35 per cent from the same time period in 2019.

Interesting. Fits with the stupidity I saw on the roads when I ventured through Toronto a few weeks ago. Speeds seem about the same as usual (with a few exceptions), but I guess with the lighter traffic it's more like shooting fish in a barrel now.

Question I guess would then be....where was all this traffic enforcement before this all happened?

Interesting. Fits with the stupidity I saw on the roads when I ventured through Toronto a few weeks ago. Speeds seem about the same as usual (with a few exceptions), but I guess with the lighter traffic it's more like shooting fish in a barrel now.

Question I guess would then be....where was all this traffic enforcement before this all happened?
At the donut stores, but they are closed now? I don't know. My suspicion is some of the volume related police work will be down (fender benders, following too closely etc). Based on what I have seen intersection charges should be up.

I did a 400 km 40x drive on Sunday to drop things off at my parents (there were supposed to pick it up on their way back from Florida but didn't for obvious reasons) and saw probably about a dozen 172 drivers. One cop that was close (the shark maneuver where they drive at 145 and try to get people going 130 from behind, how this is allowed/considered acceptable is beyond me). The "winner" was probably a Merc CUV at ~175 that for some reason was in the middle lane instead of the wide open fast lane. Why you would want to be right next to a stream of cars with a high closing speed is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom