Speeding motorcyclist gets 90 Days in jail | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding motorcyclist gets 90 Days in jail

Roadghost

I think there was a brief post about this guy last year. Here's the result.

Speeding motorcyclist nabbed by OPP plane gets 90 days in jail

A motorcycle rider who led police on a high-speed chase along the Queen Elizabeth Way at speeds topping 200 km/h has been sentenced to 90 days behind bars and banned from driving for three years.

Igor Matej, 29, appeared in Ontario Court of Justice in St. Catharines Monday for sentencing on charges of flight from police and driving while disqualified.

"If anything like this happens again, we'll be measuring your sentence in years, not months," Judge Peter Wilkie warned the Hamilton resident.

Ontario Provincial Police were conducting a traffic enforcement the afternoon of May 21, 2018, during the Victoria Day holiday weekend, with the help of their Cessna fixed-wing aircraft, when a Yamaha was spotted travelling at a high rate of speed in the Toronto-bound lanes near Lincoln.

Court heard the rider was weaving in and out of traffic, driving along the dotted line which separates lanes as well as using the shoulder of the highway to pass other vehicles.

When an officer attempted to stop the bike, the rider accelerated, reaching speeds of more than 200 km/h.

The officer subsequently abandoned a pursuit in the interest of public safety — but the chase wasn't over.

The OPP aircraft maintained visual contact and followed the rider to a residence in Hamilton where he was arrested without incident.

Court heard the motorcycle did not have a licence plate and Matej was a disqualified driver, having been prohibited from driving following a 2014 conviction for dangerous driving.

Good.

Just curious, if anyone knows, how did they prove that he was the one riding ? It's probably obvious given the plane chased him home, but I'm under the impression that unless they catch you red handed (riding the bike), it doesn't hold up in court.

Just curious, if anyone knows, how did they prove that he was the one riding ? It's probably obvious given the plane chased him home, but I'm under the impression that unless they catch you red handed (riding the bike), it doesn't hold up in court.
The plane followed him home, cruisers shortly after. Was probably in the same clothes.

Didn't have a license, no plates etc. Yeah, 90 days is gonna stop him.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Brilliant move, break the law, risk your life, flee from police and run home to hide.
I wonder if they found him hiding under his bed.

What holds up in court, is anything a judge or jury decides to believe as the truth.

Didn't have a license, no plates etc. Yeah, 90 days is gonna stop him.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Add a dangerous driving ban from 2014. Five years later and just as dumb. Agreed, what he learned in five years didn't help so 90 days will be like water off a duck's back.

He'll likely re-offend and get caught, as he's obviously not that bright. Hope he gets at least 5 years next time.

I have no problem with them taking and auctioning the guys bike at this point. He has been convicted in court and has a history of riding/driving like an idiot. The article didnt mention it so I assume they didnt go that route. This is one of the few circumstances where 172 may actually have been useful.

I think HTA 172 is overkill for people running at 155 kph on the 407 where traffic flow is 125 - 135 kph every day. 50 over on the 407 is not the same as 50 over in a 40 kph school zone IMHO, yet the penalty is identical.

On another order of magnitude are people like this Hamilton guy who seems to be out of control, similar to the clowns caught in Mississauga the other day doing > 225 kph and one guy caught at 254 kph. If you're doing 154 kph over the limit a routine license suspension and roadside vehicle seizure of 7 days seems like a pretty lenient punishment, especially when compared to the identical penalty someone doing just 50 over would have received.

Two men arrested for street-racing at more than 225 km/h in GTA | The Star

I think HTA 172 is overkill for people running at 155 kph on the 407 where traffic flow is 125 - 135 kph every day. 50 over on the 407 is not the same as 50 over in a 40 kph school zone IMHO, yet the penalty is identical.

On another order of magnitude are people like this Hamilton guy who seems to be out of control, similar to the clowns caught in Mississauga the other day doing > 225 kph and one guy caught at 254 kph. If you're doing 154 kph over the limit a routine license suspension and roadside vehicle seizure of 7 days seems like a pretty lenient punishment, especially when compared to the identical penalty someone doing just 50 over would have received.

Keep in mind that the roadside part is just for openers. The real punishment comes in court.

My money is on this tool being back out on the roads again this summer, same bike...same dumbassery.

except this time he won't be running home, Which will make him even MORE dangerous, to other road users, he will run, until he finds a way to ensure he isn't being tracked from above.

If he knows he is being tracked from above, then he will be VERY dangerous as he looks for an area he can get into to lose the aircraft. Unfortunately, fixed wing aircraft, are easier to outrun, especially in an urban environment, (with sky scrapers), than is a helicopter. A helo, can hover, and observe for several minutes when visual contact is lost, the plane can only circle, (mostly in a wider "loop").

My money is on this tool being back out on the roads again this summer, same bike...same dumbassery.

Keep in mind that the roadside part is just for openers. The real punishment comes in court.

Sure..... We'll see what the court doles out for this person.

In general, I think there is a huge difference between being 50 over or 100 over or 150 over. Most people have very little experience driving
at speeds over 150 kph and any accident that occurs is going to be a bad one. Bad enough to kill yourself, but often other innocent drivers/riders on the road get caught up in the accident and suffer as well.

I think suspension and penalties such as vehicle seizure, fines and even vehicle forfeiture need to be progressive and linked to how fast you are going.

This clown, caught at 201 kph on the 403, is 19 years old and most likely driving his parent's car. So give him a 2 or 4 week suspension and seizure and upon conviction a $5,000 or $10,000 fine. Maybe a brief jail sentence or community service. This type of consequence would be a deterrent for most people, but I recognize that you are always going to have the hard core offender like the Hamilton guy.

Mississauga man charged with stunt driving on Highway 403

Sure..... We'll see what the court doles out for this person.

In general, I think there is a huge difference between being 50 over or 100 over or 150 over. Most people have very little experience driving
at speeds over 150 kph and any accident that occurs is going to be a bad one. Bad enough to kill yourself, but often other innocent drivers/riders on the road get caught up in the accident and suffer as well.

I think suspension and penalties such as vehicle seizure, fines and even vehicle forfeiture need to be progressive and linked to how fast you are going.

This clown, caught at 201 kph on the 403, is 19 years old and most likely driving his parent's car. So give him a 2 or 4 week suspension and seizure and upon conviction a $5,000 or $10,000 fine. Maybe a brief jail sentence or community service. This type of consequence would be a deterrent for most people, but I recognize that you are always going to have the hard core offender like the Hamilton guy.

Mississauga man charged with stunt driving on Highway 403

Look up the definition of psychopath. Basically incurable.

Tell us one good reason where you need to ride/drive at 155 kph on the 407? Are the cars/bikes going 125 - 135 kph going too slow for you and you need to pass them?

Tell us one good reason where you need to ride/drive at 155 kph on the 407? Are the cars/bikes going 125 - 135 kph going too slow for you and you need to pass them?

Because the left lane on 407 is often at 140-150 and to pass anyone you will have to go faster.

Also unless you suck at driving/riding, going 155km/h in a straight line with infinite visibility on a flat terrain with no hidden intersections is not dangerous. Again, unless you suck at operating the vehicle.

Not that I'd ever break the law. The law always makes perfectly 100% sense and we should all follow it. We should also raise the fines for going 50 over to involve capital punishment; this will prevent the speed demons from maiming and murdering innocent children that accidentally walk onto the 407, or the poor driver who just came to Canada and doesn't know how to use signals or check blindspots from turning into someone going 150km/h when they're doing 90km/h. We all know speed causes death!

Back
Top Bottom