SpeedCell with quick connect and charger? | GTAMotorcycle.com

SpeedCell with quick connect and charger?

topendz

Site Supporter
I just picked up another bike and it came with a lightweight SpeedCell battery with the quick connect. I'm not too familiary with this setup to be honest. Can I get a quick connect to enable me to attach it to a charger and if so anywhere locally sell these? Also any recommendations on chargers? I'm assuming I cannot use my regular trickle chargers? I tend to ride from as low as 0, these batteries don't seem to have a lot of cranking power at that temperature is this what I should expect? If so I may need to change my setup.

Those connectors are carried by some automotive stores. NAPA might be your best bet. Aside from the connector, the alligator clips on a charger (have to be small and those without those clunky plastic covers) can be connected to the conductors. You can still use regular chargers, as long as they don't have a desulphate mode like the Ctek and Optimate ones do. Battery Tender is safe. Apparently, at cold temps, these batteries need to be warmed up by cranking first and they will then fire up with more current on subsequent attempts. Haven't tried this myself, though.

Apparently, at cold temps, these batteries need to be warmed up by cranking first and they will then fire up with more current on subsequent attempts. Haven't tried this myself, though.
This. It's the total opposite of a normal battery. In cold temps crank it over until you hear it start to slow down (approx 6 seconds), let it rest for 60 seconds. Crank it again and it'll be a little faster, do it until you hear it start to slow down (usually around 8 seconds or so), then let it rest for 60 seconds. On the third try my R1 fires up every time ;)

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
I just picked up another bike and it came with a lightweight SpeedCell battery with the quick connect. I'm not too familiary with this setup to be honest. Can I get a quick connect to enable me to attach it to a charger and if so anywhere locally sell these? Also any recommendations on chargers? I'm assuming I cannot use my regular trickle chargers? I tend to ride from as low as 0, these batteries don't seem to have a lot of cranking power at that temperature is this what I should expect? If so I may need to change my setup.

FYI, my LiFePo battery was a real PITA below 10 deg and useless below 5 degrees. Almost left me stranded once. I went back to Pb-acid.

Back
Top Bottom