Spain trip | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Spain trip

Nice find! For future reference ... They mention road number CA-9104 ... Here ... CA-9104

The town of Ronda is mentioned, that's off to the right of the map view above. And, this area is smack in the middle between Malaga (airport) and Jerez (WorldSBK). Hmmm. May do that!

edit 1: Tumble at 13:31. LOL

edit 2: A366 east of Ronda towards Malaga.

Last edited:
In the Malaga area, there are lots of scenic roads with entertaining twisties, these are a couple of my favorites:

Great coastal road: N340 from Nerja to Motril

Nice mountain twisties: A7000 Malaga to Colmenar

Ronda is a good place to visit, it has a very scenic view overlooking the El Tajo Gorge. Also worth visiting are the other White Hill Towns, like Arcos de la Frontera, with their white-washed buildings.

DSCN3160-L.jpg

Restarting the planning for this ... again.

edit: It appears that IMTBike Malaga has moved. In my notes, I had them walking-distance south of the airport. The location given now is about 9 or 10 km away. It's a small detail that leads to a complication. I'll have to figure out something to do for a few hours on arrival day that doesn't involve walking around with a hockey-bag full of my riding gear in tow. Not the same as picking up a rental car at the airport, in which case this sort of thing isn't an issue.

Last edited:
For sure take the ride down to the rock-Gibraltar. Intriguing place, would love to go there one day and its not that far from Jerez.
Sold the house and quit our jobs to back pack Europe in '88. To get to the Rock we had to cross a landing strip. While we waited a Harrier Jump Jet landed. Freaking awesome.

edit: It appears that IMTBike Malaga has moved. In my notes, I had them walking-distance south of the airport. The location given now is about 9 or 10 km away. It's a small detail that leads to a complication. I'll have to figure out something to do for a few hours on arrival day that doesn't involve walking around with a hockey-bag full of my riding gear in tow. Not the same as picking up a rental car at the airport, in which case this sort of thing isn't an issue.
Couldn't you cab it to the rental spot, ask to leave the bag, and then walk to find a crap restaurant on the improbably named Avenida Washington?

Alternately, cab over to the reassuringly named Lock and Relax in the city centre, leave bag, hang downtown and eat some fritura malaguena, grab luggage, cab to bike rental...

Don't you have a hotel booked in Malaga?

Departure time is coming up fast (Monday). Getting a hotel booking confirmation email was a good way for today to start. Pumped!

Covid test tomorrow morning ... that plus proof of vaccination is required for entering Spain. I have a tight flight connection in Paris, only an hour ... don't know how that's going to work, I sure hope connecting passengers are expedited through passport control.

Departure time is coming up fast (Monday). Getting a hotel booking confirmation email was a good way for today to start. Pumped!
Amazing! Can't tell you how jealous I am about a trip to Europe. We decided to skip it this year, and just cancelled our consolation trip to Austin for the GP because of the case load down there (ICU's being full and all).

You're going to have an absolute blast, and I hear the crowds are still way down, which will be great anywhere touristy.

Covid test tomorrow morning ... that plus proof of vaccination is required for entering Spain. I have a tight flight connection in Paris, only an hour ... don't know how that's going to work, I sure hope connecting passengers are expedited through passport control.
Wow, good luck with that. CdG is a bit like the O'Hare of Europe plus the French staff that do their best to live up to the stereotype for Parisian customer service. We switched to flying KLM partly because Schiphol is run so incredibly well that it's very stress-free (and the service is great and the planes are well maintained - I'm looking at you, Alitalia!)

Still, we did have a tight connection once at CdG due to a late flight, and while nobody actually said anything to us while we sweated in the customs line, someone did, at the absolute last minute, wave us over to a newly formed line and we made the flight. Still not sure if they knew we were late or if it was dumb luck, but we did barely make the connection after a classic airport run through the terminal with bags and jackets flapping...

Wow, good luck with that. CdG is a bit like the O'Hare of Europe plus the French staff that do their best to live up to the stereotype for Parisian customer service. We switched to flying KLM partly because Schiphol is run so incredibly well that it's very stress-free (and the service is great and the planes are well maintained - I'm looking at you, Alitalia!)
Haha. My uncle travels internationally a lot and many years ago refused to return to Heathrow as it was such a disaster. He flew through Schiphol for a while but for the past bunch of years goes Emirates through Dubai. He has no interest is using any other carrier or airport anymore if he can use them.

Haha. My uncle travels internationally a lot and many years ago refused to return to Heathrow as it was such a disaster. He flew through Schiphol for a while but for the past bunch of years goes Emirates through Dubai. He has no interest is using any other carrier or airport anymore if he can use them.
Dubai is OK of you're heading to the middle east or south Asia. Not so great if your destination is in Europe as Dubai is 6-8 hours past then you have to backtrack the same -- it adds a day to each leg of your trip.

I'm in Malaga killing a couple hours before I can pick up the rental bike. Restaurant with an outdoor patio just outside the airport, walking distance, still within wifi range. The other objective was to pay for "something" with my credit card, so that hopefully they recognise that I'm here.

The changeover in Paris was, as expected, iffy. They had three customs agents on duty (the rest were apparently on break ... government employees ...) and EVERY person coming in from international travel had to pass through one of those three. Needless to say, the sign saying that there was a "< 15 min" lineup was grossly lying. People were trying to attract the attention of the agents to point out how close their departure time was ... except, everyone was in that situation. I got to the plane 15 minutes after gate-close cutoff time (and 5 minutes before scheduled departure), but they held the plane back, and there were a few more passengers who were even later than that. But ... the arrival at Malaga was at the advertised time.

The covid screening situation was no problemo as long as you had your paperwork in order. Vaccination documents had been pre-submitted via the airline (and it shows on your boarding pass that you have done so), customs agent in Paris (EU entry point) checked that I had them, and there's a checkpoint in Spain to check your QR code, which was very quick. It appears that if you didn't have the QR code, they just diverted you to fill out a paper form, so that addresses how to handle people without smartphones. I'd say they have this process well sorted.

Checking out Malaga on Google Maps. Didn't see one straight roads.
Send us some pics and some write ups about you adventure when you get the chance.

I'm in Malaga killing a couple hours before I can pick up the rental bike. Restaurant with an outdoor patio just outside the airport, walking distance, still within wifi range. The other objective was to pay for "something" with my credit card, so that hopefully they recognise that I'm here.

The changeover in Paris was, as expected, iffy. They had three customs agents on duty (the rest were apparently on break ... government employees ...) and EVERY person coming in from international travel had to pass through one of those three. Needless to say, the sign saying that there was a "< 15 min" lineup was grossly lying. People were trying to attract the attention of the agents to point out how close their departure time was ... except, everyone was in that situation. I got to the plane 15 minutes after gate-close cutoff time (and 5 minutes before scheduled departure), but they held the plane back, and there were a few more passengers who were even later than that. But ... the arrival at Malaga was at the advertised time.

The covid screening situation was no problemo as long as you had your paperwork in order. Vaccination documents had been pre-submitted via the airline (and it shows on your boarding pass that you have done so), customs agent in Paris (EU entry point) checked that I had them, and there's a checkpoint in Spain to check your QR code, which was very quick. It appears that if you didn't have the QR code, they just diverted you to fill out a paper form, so that addresses how to handle people without smartphones. I'd say they have this process well sorted.
How is the sky? I know weird question, but I find Spain has some of the best weather and clear sky's and it's so blue, it's amazing!

Right now, here, it's cloudy, breezy, and I figure 24-ish. Skies were pretty clear north of here, then the clouds got dense near the coast. It's not doing what the forecast was calling for this afternoon ... rain.

Keep the updates coming if you have time, please. I will be living very much vicariously through you. No pressure. But have fun.

Glad to hear you made the connection. Not sure what it is about CdG that they are simultaneously slow and often have the shortest layover times. Air France must have the most optimistic schedulers in the world. Maybe they're equally pessimistic on arrival times so it's not so much a delay as a best case scenario...

Hopefully the grub near the airport is decent, and the rental bike is as advertised. Toprak and Rea have done you a nice one and made sure the points standings are implausibly close for the Jerez round, too...

Yep, I will be watching the next points scored. I'm a big JR fan. And I'm a big Stoprak fan. :)

I picked up the rental F800GT and did the short ride to the first overnight stop. Food just landed on the table.

Culinary distraction devoured. Go to Google Maps and look for road MA7075 heading north from the motorway. I'm in the first village that you get to. I took a peek north of the village to see how tomorrow is going to start. It's not how it looks on the map. It's better.

Back
Top Bottom