sounds like 30yr old technology... | GTAMotorcycle.com

sounds like 30yr old technology...

silvrsurfr

I love my 650r. 2011 model.
but my biggest petpeeve with it, is the engine sounds like 30yr old technology.
And yes i know the engine is the old tried and true 30yr old work horse but i just can't stand the sound of it. it sounds so butchy.

Do the FZ6, FZ6R or SV650 have a similar sound. i understand the v-twins make this sound but thought other bikes might be different.

maybe its time to upgrade to an inline 4.

I had an Akrapovic slip-on installed on mine. It sounded like the coming Apocalypse. Maybe give that a try.

4 cylinders generally sound like sewing machines from stock. Either way you need an aftermarket exhaust.

FZ6 with stock pipes sounds like a sewing machine.
I have Leo Vince on mine and it is loud. Love V-twins but will take I4 screamer any day.

I take it that this bike is a Ninja 650R (you didn't state this, but the statement about "upgrading" to a 4-cylinder suggests that this is the case).

That bike has a parallel-twin engine with a 180 degree crankshaft. That arrangement is the same one that Kawasaki parallel-twins have used since the early 1980's if not before. The Ninja 250 is like that, the Ninja 500 / EX500 was like that. Heck, way back in time, the GPz305 was like that. And they all sound more or less the same.

What it means is that if you divide up the rotation of the engine into half-revolution chunks, it goes "hit-hit-nothing-nothing-hit-hit-nothing-nothing" etc. Two firings half a revolution apart followed by a whole revolution of nothing. That's what makes it sound like it does. I have heard it described as sounding like a shop air compressor and I can't say I disagree.

FZ6 and FZ6R are inline-four engines. They go "hit-hit-hit-hit" etc., evenly spaced (and much closer together, overall) It doesn't have the uneven pattern of your 180-degree parallel twin.

The SV650 is a two-cylinder engine but the firings are not 180 degrees apart. They are further apart but not enough to be evenly spaced. Most people find V-twins of this general type to sound "better" than a normal parallel-twin. Another example of this arrangement ... Ducati. But somehow, the SV doesn't quite sound "right" the way the Ducati does.

What sounds "better" is ultimately a matter of opinion.

You're right. Kawasaki 650r.
thanks for the break down - appreciate it.

i know its a minor petpeeve. but it is what it is. when i hear the inline 4's to me they sound amazing.

I take it that this bike is a Ninja 650R (you didn't state this, but the statement about "upgrading" to a 4-cylinder suggests that this is the case).

That bike has a parallel-twin engine with a 180 degree crankshaft. That arrangement is the same one that Kawasaki parallel-twins have used since the early 1980's if not before. The Ninja 250 is like that, the Ninja 500 / EX500 was like that. Heck, way back in time, the GPz305 was like that. And they all sound more or less the same.

What it means is that if you divide up the rotation of the engine into half-revolution chunks, it goes "hit-hit-nothing-nothing-hit-hit-nothing-nothing" etc. Two firings half a revolution apart followed by a whole revolution of nothing. That's what makes it sound like it does. I have heard it described as sounding like a shop air compressor and I can't say I disagree.

FZ6 and FZ6R are inline-four engines. They go "hit-hit-hit-hit" etc., evenly spaced (and much closer together, overall) It doesn't have the uneven pattern of your 180-degree parallel twin.

The SV650 is a two-cylinder engine but the firings are not 180 degrees apart. They are further apart but not enough to be evenly spaced. Most people find V-twins of this general type to sound "better" than a normal parallel-twin. Another example of this arrangement ... Ducati. But somehow, the SV doesn't quite sound "right" the way the Ducati does.

What sounds "better" is ultimately a matter of opinion.

I've heard some SV's with exhausts and they sounded mean...
Myself, I always have headphones blasting so could care less what it sounds like...

You'll never get yours to sound like an inline 4 but for sure an aftermarket slip-on will do wonders. I had an 89 Suzuki gs500e which was the first year of that wonderful little bike and the only year it came with factory clip-ons. That thing sounded sweet with a Supertrapp brushed aluminum slip-on. Even my buddies with i4s admired it cuz after a while the i4s almost sound the same from a distance (almost, don't get mad at me i4s it's still a great sound). Embrace your uniqueness

Yoshi pipe on a 650R sounds mean as hell it has a really deep sound to it.
FZ6R has the higher pitched supersport sound to it with an aftermarket exhaust. i had the two brothers full system on mine and it sounded great.

+1 on changing the pipe. My 250 was whisper quiet and I got a full quiet core system from Area P. The akra sounds wicked on the 650r. It doesn't sound like a sewing machine and has more growl now

Get ready for hours of watching youtube videos to figure out which exhaust you're gonna get :p

& thanks Brian P...now I know why I always liked how sv650s sounded, but was never really a fan of the 650r

+1 to the FZ6 sounding like a sewing machine. but that's at low RPM, push it above 6k and everyone on the road will know you're there so it depends what you want. you'll probably end up with an after market exhaust whether you keep the old bike or grab a new one, so it's a lot of money.
BUT
over the 650? you'll be getting a better suspension and more power, so it could be worth it.. depends on where and how you ride.

if you're going to all the trouble of upgrading you might also want to consider the fz8 or fz1. 650-> fz6 might not feel like a large jump.

+1 to the FZ6 sounding like a sewing machine. but that's at low RPM, push it above 6k and everyone on the road will know you're there so it depends what you want. you'll probably end up with an after market exhaust whether you keep the old bike or grab a new one, so it's a lot of money.
BUT
over the 650? you'll be getting a better suspension and more power, so it could be worth it.. depends on where and how you ride.

if you're going to all the trouble of upgrading you might also want to consider the fz8 or fz1. 650-> fz6 might not feel like a large jump.

I have to disagree - FZ6 with stock pipes sounds like sewing machine through the whole rpm range. Drilled out baffles will add some sound but only aftermarket pipe brings it to life.

Back
Top Bottom