Sore hands?? - there is a left side cramp buster. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sore hands?? - there is a left side cramp buster.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
One reason I opted for originally a Silverwing and eventually the Burgman 650 was to deal with my clutch hand getting sore.

Well the Burgman Exec is gone and the Vstrom gets bothersome at times as the clutch pull is strong. The NT700v clutch is very easy ....not sure what that's about ....maybe hydraulic?

Anyways...working with doc to see what is doing it ( 40 minutes or so first thing in the day is murder then I'm fine ).

I use a palm throttle, cramp buster, call it whatever and a throttle lock to help. Ordered a second palm throttle today and noticed the Kuryakyn came in left and right flavors. :confused:

6255.jpg

Never considered it but might help keep my wrist straight on the clutchside as well. $10 US each - why not.

I like the Kuryakyn because while fiddly ....the velcro strap holds tight once you get the position correct.

Last edited:
I'd be interested if you find a solution that doesn't involve a device on the bike.
I've had some ladies complain about their hands after using a clutch for a couple of hours.
The only time I've had similar was in 2-3 hour stop and go traffic. I just avoid that now.

After moving to my CBR650F from my CBR250RA the clutch seemed heavy, but that was because the 250 was extremely light. Most other bikes I've tried are harder/heavier than my 650 is. That said, traffic can be a royal PITA...I've been stuck in the thick of it for over 2-3 hours before (to only go 50km) and that wasn't fun at all.

My biggest issue actually is throttle side, due to numbness and vibrations after 2-3 hours of riding. I've tried the throttle locker and didn't like it (gets in the way for normal riding for me), so maybe I'll try a cramp buster just so I can take my hand off for 5 mins, assuming you can just push down on the buster to maintain throttle.

It has nothing to do with strength JC and does not help weak hands which get sore after a few hours. My hands aren't weak ...they just hurt from nerve compression ....many riders have the same tingly hand problem - some are brutal ( mine at times ) - others mild.

This is to keep the wrist straight to reduce nerve compression from carpal tunnel /neuropathy.
Anything that relaxes the hand and keep the wrist straight

The girls if they are on the young end of the spectrum just need more hand endurance - JC's solution would work for them. A lever that reduces the stretch of their hands might help too.

••

Crampbuster and throttle rocker are the same thing.
You want a throttle lock ....I like the Vistacruise, Kaoka, and Throttle Meister and even that simple clip on Go Cruise one is better than nothing.
I see Go Cruise has a tension tightener now so might give it a look but I have little room on my grips as is

The NT has ThrottleMeister and it's very nice and easy to use but not as easy as the Vistacruise.

VC-07-4041a.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried adjusting the clutch engagement point? I can use 2 fingers to sink the clutch. I commute on a SS

Those throttle rockers are a terrible idea. I can see you going through a corner & accidentally hitting the rocker & your rear sliding off you

Never - Honda doesn't do automatics ( the DCT is awful ) and the CTX sucks. ( yes I've ridden it )

The Burgman 650 is an ECVT and was wonderful on my hands - best in class by far. I may yet go back to it at some point when the right deal comes along. Still perhaps the best all around machine I've owned. Biggest flaw is eating rear tires.

The NT700v is "reasonable" ....the clutch pull is very light - the Strom clutch is a bear in comparison. Now the risers are on the Strom we'll see if that helps.

I did 9,000 km in 3 weeks in June on the other Strom and did not have hand issues. This one I could not fit the risers on until I got longer brake cables and with dealer delays and me missing an appointment it dragged on.

Now the Strom is out with a flat so ........

I'd be interested if you find a solution that doesn't involve a device on the bike.
I've had some ladies complain about their hands after using a clutch for a couple of hours.
The only time I've had similar was in 2-3 hour stop and go traffic. I just avoid that now.
Yep. Never had a problem except when holding the clutch in for like 2 hours straight.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch engagement point? I can use 2 fingers to sink the clutch. I commute on a SS

Those throttle rockers are a terrible idea. I can see you going through a corner & accidentally hitting the rocker & your rear sliding off you
Doesn't the strength of you clutch springs have more to do with how hard the lever is to pull than the engagement point? I can't see the engagement point having much affect on fatigue. If you could somehow change the leverage at either the lever end or the clutch end of the cable, that might make a difference.

Mine was a joke mostly...although grip exercises have helped me. What about switching to braided lines with Teflon inners? Failing that a bit of cable lube may help too.

Doesn't the strength of you clutch springs have more to do with how hard the lever is to pull than the engagement point? I can't see the engagement point having much affect on fatigue. If you could somehow change the leverage at either the lever end or the clutch end of the cable, that might make a difference.
Would 5lbs stretch a spring more than 10lbs?

If your issue is mainly to do with your wrist angle then the left side crampbuster might help. Have you also tried rotating the clutch perch forwards/downwards? Having the lever rotated too far back is probably what is making your wrist bent in the first place.

For anyone having grip strength issues, you can get a universal easy-pull clutch kit for cable clutches. It has a couple of leverage ratios which trade lower effort for longer lever travel:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4223/i/moose-racing-easy-pull-clutch-system

You can also get a hydraulic clutch conversion:
http://www.magura.com/en/powersport...lutches/allgemein/hymec-street/allgemein.html

I'm not sure how well a throttle rest would work on a bar that doesn't turn.
You could get similar results by opening your hand. But I'd rather have my hands on the grips when something happens. It would be weird to be traveling at speed without hands on the controls.

Have you tried rotating the controls on the bars. That was my first mod on the Strom. In fact, at first I would flash the high beams when shifting. That gets my hands attacking the bars and levers from the right angle.

Especially, if you've had one where the levers were o.k.
Why throw money.

there is lots of room to grip the bars - it's just a wrist rest...no real difference from the right.
I would not use it off pavement where there is a lot of bar input needed ...this is for distance only - for $10 is worth a try as I needed the right hand one anyway. The Velcro ones are easy to flip down - just loosen the strap.

•••

That Moose racing easy pull solution looks brilliant.

2005-Moose-Racing-Easy-Pull-Clutch-System-MCSS.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...iteid=AvantLink_41227-55963-NA&WT.MC_ID=54020

I think the hydraulic system may be overkill. I'm hoping the risers reduce the situation as I was okay on the Strom in June for 9k in 20 days including some very long days.

Even cheaper here and listed for the Vstrom.
http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=221817

ordered one ...we'll see how it works out...thanks for tips.
Will check how flat my wrists are as the risers just went on so a number of parameters have changed and one of the mirrors is being annoying - lock nut is loose,

Last edited:
I don't even understand this question.
I'm trying to gear at that it is easier to stretch a spring 1cm than let's say 5cm.

Give it a try you'll feel the difference

Got the left hand rocker today and buying another for the Strom ...works the charm on the NT. Also put grip puppies on the NT - that helped as well -.
There was no issue with the rockers getting in the way of gripping the bar fully.

Tried the clip on cruise control as well...worked okay.

Go.jpg

Looks like the GoCruise 2 is the better product.

m9yRaG5aUh11QGIsurbmduQ.jpg

Has a tension adjuster.

Farkles worked today...Grip puppies and left and right cramp busters were brilliant. Not a bit of sore hands and the Parabellum screen was just right on the NT.

11 hours ...700 km ...mix of slab and back roads. Feel okay given a new ride and muscles not used to the position. But not one bit of problem with my hands. :D

Throttle locks definetly help eat up long boring 400 series/interstates

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom