Sooo wrecked my bike. Need some help. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sooo wrecked my bike. Need some help.

fugazi

wreck.jpgwreck 3.jpg

I've never damaged something this bad in my life and I don't have a tremendous amount of mechanical knowledge. Is it even worth fixing? If not, what should I do with it?

what happened?

I got caught in a random downpour on my way into work, and as I was going around a corner I noticed the rain had knocked down a branch from the trees a tad too late. Slipped out and slid into a cement barrier. Pain ensued.

Start by taking some of those damaged parts off so you can assess what is still good on the bike.
rebuild from there. it may not be as bad as it looks.
Glad you are OK tho.

Doesn't look that bad. Most of the damage and the worst part seems to be in the tail section. If it's an R6 that subframe should be removable and a new one will bolt on. You would have to check the swingarm for damage but it doesn't look that bad either. Seems the impact popped the tire off the rim so check the rim for damage and I'll bet it's bent. Ebay is your friend for used parts. If you are patient and not in a hurry you can find parts cheap.

CruisnGrrl -

The rear tire is what impacted the barrier first. Took a chunk out of the rim.

mike.from.canmore -

I dont really want to claim it. My rates will already be going up with the careless driving charge I was slapped with and they're high enough as is. I've sort of accepted I wont be on the road this year and possible a good chunk of next.

So it appears the general consensus is it's quite fixable. Now, if I don't have a damn clue how to do that, is there anyone I can talk to about this sort of stuff?

Last edited:
it doesnt look to bad, looks like you'll have a good winter project to work on. to bad your season has ended early, glad your ok

Its a VERY common track bike - parts are pretty easy to be had.

I've got the Yamaha Factory manuals for that bike - you are welcome to borrow them over the winter but I'd like them back (just copy it if ya want one). Not the Haynes manual - the manual that is sent to the Yami mechanics. They are extensive - right down to the torque settings for ea bolt.

Pm me if you are interested

mike.from.canmore -I dont really want to claim it. My rates will already be going up with the careless driving charge I was slapped with and they're high enough as is.
2 things:1. were you being careless? Is there enough/any evidence to support you getting convicted? 2. Why bother having collision insurance if you are not going to use it when the need arises. ( I assume by your response that you have collision coverage, but are opting not to use it)Might wanna call your insurance company and hypothetically ask then what sort of premium increases you might face if you were to make a claim.

2 things:1. were you being careless? Is there enough/any evidence to support you getting convicted? 2. Why bother having collision insurance if you are not going to use it when the need arises. ( I assume by your response that you have collision coverage, but are opting not to use it)Might wanna call your insurance company and hypothetically ask then what sort of premium increases you might face if you were to make a claim.

Nope. I was doing the speed limit going around a blind corner and failed to avoid the foliage on the road. It was a very heavy, sudden downpour so the tree overhanging the lane dropped a nice surprise for me. The cop sounded skeptical, though I'm not sure why. He asked me "Where are the leaves then?". I said the fall was 45 minutes ago and it stopped raining almost immediately after I fell, so with cars constantly driving by it's not surprising there's nothing there.

I suppose it's worth a shot. I'll find out.

obviously DONT plead guilty to that horse ****!! hopefully it gets tossed in court. The cops usually throw that charge around carelessly (haha ironic) when they need to explain to their boss what they were doing for 2 or 3 hours in the day.

Back
Top Bottom