Soon to be New Rider! I Have Some Questions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Soon to be New Rider! I Have Some Questions

Line up your choice of motorcycles first. Your ride and age are the two biggest factors for insurance. Since you are over 25, you should be in he sub $1000 range on a 300cc and down, possibly as low as 500 on a 200cc and smaller enduro.
Good choice.
Try FortNine.com (they always have lots of well proced clearance gear), GP Bikes and Royal Distributing in Whitby have showrooms. Re-gear in Oshawa may also be worth a visit.

My favorite small cruiser is a Vstar (Virago) 250. It's light, handles well and is and geared specifically for beginners. They are also durable and inexpensive to fix.

If you don't pick a Virago, start with a used 250 in the make you like. Japanese beginner bikes are cheap and hold their value if you keep them in good order. Sell it when it's time to move up -- you will not lose money. The next step would be a 500 Honda or HD, or a 650 Suzuki or Yamaha. With your frame size, I'd be looking at the Suzuki S40 -- it's the lightest 650 cruiser and perfectly sized for your frame.
Thanks for the tips! A lot of people have been recommending the Rebel, the V-Star, and the Vulcan as good beginner bikes so I guess that's a starting point for both insurance and bike shopping. A few people have recommended FortNine so I will give them a look.

6a) If you had two bikes in front of you, otherwise identical except one had ABS and was a bit more expensive, I personally would choose the one with ABS. Some folks dislike the feature and they have their own valid reasons for doing so. Those reasons, however, are usually "corner cases" where the likelihood of the case of which they speak (e.g. comin' in hot on some stutter bumps) is relatively low and the benefits of ABS in every other situation is ignored.

There's a reason every new bike sold in Europe is required by law to have ABS.

6b) Many riders do bore of small machines (some find the firebreathers kind of exhausting and look to go down in size too, FWIW...) but there's no one pat answer.

If you grew up riding motorcross bikes and are skilled on a steroidal 50HP 250cc stroker I suspect a 25HP 250 street bike will not wow you. If you've never ridden an ICE-powered machine before you may find that same 25HP 250 to be intimidating and all you'll ever need/want.

It may also depend on how/where you ride; downtown TO in traffic? -- a small displacement bike would be more suitable than a Goldwing. Got a 1-1/2 hour 401 commute each way on the highway? -- you'll want something more substantial than a 250.

Part of the problem we face here in SOnt is that virtually every road is km after km of straight line. Look at a google-map view of SOnt (esp south-central and -west) and you'll just see a grid of straight lines. As such, motorcycles tend to be used very one-dimensionally here (i.e. straight-line) where "performance" is mostly acceleration, cruising comfort etc. If we had roads like those in the canyons of southern California those 250s would be able to flex their considerable handling and flickability skills and would be more popular for longer times with people. But because you go in a straight line everywhere here, it's nice to have some more ccs for more relaxed cruising and "peppier" acceleration.

As a general rule, I think the average new rider should start on a smaller machine. It just makes sense, you're less likely to get yourself into trouble and insurance will be friendlier. They retain their value well so if you do want to go up in size in a season or two, you can get your money back as long as you've kept it up.

As always, check insurance on any bike you like before buying; that is often one of the biggest impediments to new riders. Get a quote from a real person, not online (they lie...)
I'll have to look out for ABS bikes, then! Only issue I'm having right now is that most, if not all of the used bikes available in my area are either older, like 10+ years or so, or they just don't have ABS as an option. It's looking more like the only way I can get an ABS bike is if I buy one new, but I'd rather not go new for my first bike. I know for sure I'll be scratching and dropping it everywhere.

I live in Markham, so flat suburbs EVERYWHERE. Nothing too crazy. Probably the most exciting thing about this place are the back country roads that go 70/80kmh at the highest, which I guess is a good starting point when I gain enough confidence to go on small highways. I'm not planning on going super long distance, just around town and maybe on the 401 every once in awhile if I really need to get somewhere. You're right, though, it's all just a bunch of gridlines and checkerboards. Nothing curvy or hilly...at least not around where I live. Used 250s/300s are kind of hard to find around here, though, at least within the past couple months.

Thanks for the tips! I actually just got back from DriveTest with my brand new M1 so now I'm going to hunker down and do more research on insurance and gear before I sign up for my safety courses.

I'll have to look out for ABS bikes, then! Only issue I'm having right now is that most, if not all of the used bikes available in my area are either older, like 10+ years or so, or they just don't have ABS as an option. It's looking more like the only way I can get an ABS bike is if I buy one new, but I'd rather not go new for my first bike. I know for sure I'll be scratching and dropping it everywhere.

You don't have to have ABS. For decades motorcyclists got along fine without it. When you take an M1X course the bikes you'll be riding won't have ABS either and you'll learn the skill of threshold braking etc. ABS is a nice safety net. It's one of those things that you may never, ever need but when you do you'd be happy it was there.

I live in Markham, so flat suburbs EVERYWHERE. Nothing too crazy. Probably the most exciting thing about this place are the back country roads that go 70/80kmh at the highest, which I guess is a good starting point when I gain enough confidence to go on small highways. I'm not planning on going super long distance, just around town and maybe on the 401 every once in awhile if I really need to get somewhere. You're right, though, it's all just a bunch of gridlines and checkerboards. Nothing curvy or hilly...at least not around where I live. Used 250s/300s are kind of hard to find around here, though, at least within the past couple months.

I don't mean to say that you need road curves to have fun on a bike. If you want them in the future, schedule a daytrip down into Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the tips! I actually just got back from DriveTest with my brand new M1 so now I'm going to hunker down and do more research on insurance and gear before I sign up for my safety courses.

Congrats on the M1. Find out the minimum gear the course requires. Typically it'll be a jacket, gloves, jeans minimum (no shorts), boots that cover the ankles and a helmet. Once you pass the course then think about other things like pants, back protector etc. I advocate for all-the-gear-all-the-time (aka "ATGATT") for street-riding but YMMV. Just remember, dress for the slide, not the ride :)

If you're coming out to the east end to go to GP bikes anyways, check out ReGear on Simcoe Street South in Oshawa - they have both used/consignment gear as well as liquidation there..and you could save a bundle.

As for the cruiser segment, stay at or below the 650cc range - My wife's second year riding was on a Vstar 650 (she upgraded from a Marauder 250) and the insurance was about $600/year with Dalton Timmis which was only about $50/year more than what she was paying for the 250. When she upgraded to her current Vstar 1100 it went up considerably because she has less than 6 years experience. Anything over 700cc in the cruiser market seems to attract very significant surcharges for new riders.

The suggestions for a 250/300 cruiser are not without merit - they are cheap, plentiful, easy to ride, hole their value if you buy used, and are generally very durable. Just take note that you probably won't want to take it out on the 401. Even being a light guy, you will find the horsepower lacking at speeds over 90 or so, and you'll get blown around some as well because they're light. You could look at the 650 segment as well - not much more to buy or insure, but a little more stable (bit heavier) and more highway capable..but still very nimble and easy to learn on. There's a ton of 650 choices out there across all the cruiser options.

You don't have to have ABS. For decades motorcyclists got along fine without it. When you take an M1X course the bikes you'll be riding won't have ABS either and you'll learn the skill of threshold braking etc. ABS is a nice safety net. It's one of those things that you may never, ever need but when you do you'd be happy it was there.

I don't mean to say that you need road curves to have fun on a bike. If you want them in the future, schedule a daytrip down into Pennsylvania.

Congrats on the M1. Find out the minimum gear the course requires. Typically it'll be a jacket, gloves, jeans minimum (no shorts), boots that cover the ankles and a helmet. Once you pass the course then think about other things like pants, back protector etc. I advocate for all-the-gear-all-the-time (aka "ATGATT") for street-riding but YMMV. Just remember, dress for the slide, not the ride :)
Thanks for all the advice! Currently looking for gear anyway because I know I'm gonna need it, course or not.

If you're coming out to the east end to go to GP bikes anyways, check out ReGear on Simcoe Street South in Oshawa - they have both used/consignment gear as well as liquidation there..and you could save a bundle.

As for the cruiser segment, stay at or below the 650cc range - My wife's second year riding was on a Vstar 650 (she upgraded from a Marauder 250) and the insurance was about $600/year with Dalton Timmis which was only about $50/year more than what she was paying for the 250. When she upgraded to her current Vstar 1100 it went up considerably because she has less than 6 years experience. Anything over 700cc in the cruiser market seems to attract very significant surcharges for new riders.

The suggestions for a 250/300 cruiser are not without merit - they are cheap, plentiful, easy to ride, hole their value if you buy used, and are generally very durable. Just take note that you probably won't want to take it out on the 401. Even being a light guy, you will find the horsepower lacking at speeds over 90 or so, and you'll get blown around some as well because they're light. You could look at the 650 segment as well - not much more to buy or insure, but a little more stable (bit heavier) and more highway capable..but still very nimble and easy to learn on. There's a ton of 650 choices out there across all the cruiser options.
Heard good things about ReGear, will definitely check them out. I've been window shopping for gear and it really does add up. I'll take any opportunity to save a buck here and there.

Good to know. I'm not on the highway all the time, but I want to be able to handle the highway when I do have to take it. I'd say I use the highway maybe 20% of the time I commute/travel anywhere, so having that extra kick would be useful. Would a 500 suffice, or is it better to just go all the way to 650?

Learning Curves is solid. Did my m2 and m with them.

All the instructors are great; Peter, Shelly, Cat and Goldie!

On a cruiser the difference between a 500 and 650 is a few horsepower, probably somewhere in the range of 6 or 8 or so, so not a massive difference, but probably noticeable on the highway. The difference in insurance rates between the two is probably negligible however, so it would make sense to go for the 650 - resale on a 650 is also going to be easier as well because it's basically the "maximum" that many underwriters will insure new riders on (without getting much more expensive with an alternative underwriter) so there is a demand for them.

A 500 on the other hand is less common in the cruiser market and may get passed over when you want to sell.

A 650 will run all day long on the 401 at 110-120 with no problem (albeit it may be a bit buzzy at higher speeds) but it'll get the job done and you won't feel like an obstacle because you can't keep up with traffic flow, or pass.

If you're going to spend 20% of your riding time on the highways, I'd recommend going for the 650. The Vstar 650 (but for one example) is an ideal easy to ride bike that's perfectly functional as a beginner bike if you're even moderately confident but you'll still find capable for many years if you don't feel the need or desire to rush to an upgrade. The same can be said for most of the 650 cruiser options out there, but try a few to see what one fits your size best.

The only reason I started my wife on the 250 was because she needed to build confidence and I wanted a bike that was as light as was physically possible, knowing that she wouldn't be riding anything 400 series for her first season, so it worked.

As others have said, be sure to call for insurance quotes BEFORE buying anything however.

On a cruiser the difference between a 500 and 650 is a few horsepower, probably somewhere in the range of 6 or 8 or so, so not a massive difference, but probably noticeable on the highway. The difference in insurance rates between the two is probably negligible however, so it would make sense to go for the 650 - resale on a 650 is also going to be easier as well because it's basically the "maximum" that many underwriters will insure new riders on (without getting much more expensive with an alternative underwriter) so there is a demand for them.

A 500 on the other hand is less common in the cruiser market and may get passed over when you want to sell.

A 650 will run all day long on the 401 at 110-120 with no problem (albeit it may be a bit buzzy at higher speeds) but it'll get the job done and you won't feel like an obstacle because you can't keep up with traffic flow, or pass.

If you're going to spend 20% of your riding time on the highways, I'd recommend going for the 650. The Vstar 650 (but for one example) is an ideal easy to ride bike that's perfectly functional as a beginner bike if you're even moderately confident but you'll still find capable for many years if you don't feel the need or desire to rush to an upgrade. The same can be said for most of the 650 cruiser options out there, but try a few to see what one fits your size best.

The only reason I started my wife on the 250 was because she needed to build confidence and I wanted a bike that was as light as was physically possible, knowing that she wouldn't be riding anything 400 series for her first season, so it worked.

As others have said, be sure to call for insurance quotes BEFORE buying anything however.
Thanks for the additional context. This is super helpful and informative when I'm ready to start seriously shopping for a bike. Insurance seems to be top priority now, however. Gonna have to make some calls and get a rough idea of how much I'll be spending!

If you live in Markham, I might be able to help you with gear. I have a brand new ladies fullface helmet and Joe Rocket jacket -- sized for 5'3 130lb woman (as long as you're OK with pink!). Used for 3 rides -- you can have them cheap!

I'll also help you get started if you need someone to ride with around town, I live in Markham too.

If you live in Markham, I might be able to help you with gear. I have a brand new ladies fullface helmet and Joe Rocket jacket -- sized for 5'3 130lb woman (as long as you're OK with pink!). Used for 3 rides -- you can have them cheap!

I'll also help you get started if you need someone to ride with around town, I live in Markham too.
A friend of mine is helping me out with the helmet department and I actually just bought a jacket and an armoured shirt to go with it! Thanks for the offer though :) Maybe once I finish my Learning Curves course we can get around to riding!

Back
Top Bottom