(solved) removing rounded torx head screw | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

(solved) removing rounded torx head screw

The cone washer is the least of my worries, getting that darned screw out without damaging the motor is primary.
Me, I am Mr. All Thumbs and prefer to take the task to someone that has the skills.
Anybody know of a shop that will extract the screw?

You said red locktite. I thought for red you had to heat the fastener to loosened loctite first.

I would start by drilling out the screw with a very fine drill to get t centered then go to larger drills until I'm almost to the thread root diameter. Then it usually spins out like a helicoil.

You said red locktite. I thought for red you had to heat the fastener to loosened loctite first.

I would start by drilling out the screw with a very fine drill to get t centered then go to larger drills until I'm almost to the thread root diameter. Then it usually spins out like a helicoil.

He doesnt have to go that far yet. Popping the head off may give him enough meat to grab on to (and gives you a stub that is easy to get a torch on).

Appreciate all the helpful suggestions, will update this thread with the results.
Meanwhile, please continue with your input, each comment is helping me!
Would still like a professional (vs. Mr. All Thumbs, me) to take on the job. There is got to be a shop somewhere that does this, any pointers?

Red loktite!!!!! Are you sure you used red? Blue (medium strength) comes in a red bottle. Are you sure the colour of it was red? It is called "permanent" for a reason. It will weaken with heat. Lots of heat.A hair dryer will do nothing.A propane torch will do it. Maybe. You will need 500f for a couple of minutes.

I hate red. My shoulders hurt thinking about it. :(
Red = Permanent in my garage. Red is only for things like bolting trailer hitches to chassis -- things that go on once or are expected to be torched off.

Red = Permanent in my garage. Red is only for things like bolting trailer hitches to chassis -- things that go on once or are expected to be torched off.
or the cam holder bolt you just stripped and you just want to button it up.

... and then there's this stuff
Heba9ce2d27fc478dbaf6d4d92d7bad2dC.jpg

WTF is that?
$5 CDN.

The loctite used on those screws is definitely the "red".
The plan is to drill out the screw heads, take off the engine guard plate, heat and then vice-grip the studs out.
After that, I am going through the garage and trash any red loctite I find!

The loctite used on those screws is definitely the "red".
The plan is to drill out the screw heads, take off the engine guard plate, heat and then vice-grip the studs out.
After that, I am going through the garage and trash any red loctite I find!
What are you going to heat it with?

What are you going to heat it with?
The plan is to take a ride and then tackle the job.
The screws sit into the cylinder of an air-cooled motor and hopefully a hard and fast ride sufficiently heats things up.
Will a heat gun help?
(a hair dryer did nothing)

The screws sit into the cylinder of an air-cooled motor and hopefully a hard and fast ride sufficiently heats things up.
Will a heat gun help?
Heat gun will be useless. Propane/mapp/acetylene.

Will a heat gun help?
Like ScubaSteve said. You need oxygen.

That's how I would approach it, and if it doesn't spin out at the end, you get a machine tap and tap out the threads...but you need to know the specs for the screw so you get the right tap...but the OP is all thumbs as he stated so this ain't gonna happen.

Back
Top Bottom