Soft shell fleece vs down | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Soft shell fleece vs down

@Mad Mike does regular malls have these, like from eddie bauer, etc?

@regder oh I see, thanks! I'm an idiot when it comes to searching ?‍♂️
Polartec fleece is used by some of the better brands. I bought a Helly Hansen windblocking fleece for around $65 at Mark's Work Warehouse last winter. You can always try Amazon.ca

Thanks a bunch, I guess I will aim for wireless heated stuff first ? and does one prefer heated gloves or heated handlebars?
My vote goes to heated handle bar grips. I've had both. With the heated grips, all you have to do is push a button when your hands get cold. With the gloves, you'd have to stop, take off your jacket to run the wires thru the sleeves. The downside of grips are that the back of your hand will get cold and the palms burning but IMO the convenience and that they're always available is more important.

I like heated glove liners - grips would be good if you had muffs which I will be extending the season with this year.

Canadian Tire sells snowmobile bar muffs that worked really well for me. Coupled with heated grips: oh baby!

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have heated and like my heated grips.

I also have gauntlet muffs -- these ones are hard to find, they are made from stay-dry beaver.
1570137225861.png

Nice Beaver.

:/ Beaver are easy to find, just look for dams and fresh chewed trees.
or visit the rez.

Nice Beaver.

:/ Beaver are easy to find, just look for dams and fresh chewed trees.
or visit the rez.
I still make a few of these each year, mostly for old timers that bought from me when I had a custom sewing operation. When I sold it, the new owners didn't want the fur machines so I kept a few. Working with fur is too much work for too little money.

For riding at or near zero degrees with a non winter riding jacket I use underarmor base 2.0 long johns and a fleece wind proof pullover or underarmor storm. For gloves Revit have several choices and my Stratos kept my fingers nice and warm on a 1 hour ride on the 401 at -5 on a naked bike at speed with no heated gear.

You don't really need heated gear unless you can't wear proper base layers and don't have wind proofing.

For riding at or near zero degrees with a non winter riding jacket I use underarmor base 2.0 long johns and a fleece wind proof pullover or underarmor storm. For gloves Revit have several choices and my Stratos kept my fingers nice and warm on a 1 hour ride on the 401 at -5 on a naked bike at speed with no heated gear.

You don't really need heated gear unless you can't wear proper base layers and don't have wind proofing.

Trust me once you have worn heated gear you will never go back to dressing like a snowman.

Would a simple heated vest be enough, my research shows that heated jackets only heat the front and back, not arms. Unless I'm missing something here lol
I have a Venture heated jacket liner.Torso,neck and arms. And it has a wireless remote that you can mount anywhere. It is wired directly to the battery with the same lead your battery charger uses. Double duty. Bought it at DSP.

5C is a bit of a magic number for riding -- it's the temp at which wind chilling starts to take effect, tires reach their least grip, and black ice can form when there is no sun. You can ride below 5C, however as the temps drop, riding risk increases.

I've done a lot of ice riding and snowmobiling, a decent 4 season MC jacket with liner, a tee and longsleeve henly do fine down to -20 -- be sure to adjust the shotcords at your waist and neck.

Hands are always a nagging problem, MX/Adv hand guards, snowmobiler's winter mitts, heated grips and gauntlets help, and textile overpant works. If you like your MC gloves, nitrile gloves under will help.

Switching from MC boots to Wellingtons will keep your feet warmer and help when your foot goes don on slick and loose surfaces.

You lose a lot of heat through your head, a crappy helmet will make your hands and feet cold! Switching to a Snowmobile helmet will keep your head warmer, they usually seal better, have fog control screens, and less venting. Alternate solution is a thin jersey or microfleece balaclava, I like the ones that have a neck dickie.

If you ride a scooter or Gromish type bikes, I think you can get snowtires!

Windblocking fleece would be my choice (something made from Polartec Wind Pro fleece). Down loses a lot of it's insulating capability under compression and when it absorbs perspiration. You really don't need much insulation under leathers even in cold weather, the chilling effect when riding in the cold is mostly due to cold air infiltration at zippers and cuffs, or if the jacket is not well fitted to the rider.

If it were me, I'd look for a decent cold weather riding jacket.

Hey @madmike

Any examples of commercially available tops that are made from Polartec Wind Pro fleece?
When I Google, everything that comes up is either just the material or a bunch of sweaters that don't contain it - the companies who pay for their ads to pop up regardless of accuracy or not. Grrr..

Rob

@robertv19 I'm looking at this right now
https://www.marks.com/en/helly-hansen-mens-midway-jacket-230380.html#230380%5Bcolor%5D=Black

Not a bad price, but if I were to go cheaper, maybe one from Costco like this

https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signature-Men's-Softshell-Jacket.product.100490879.html

Rode this morning around 7am with just a leather jacket and a rain jacket under, body was warm enough. I think it was 4c, going mostly 70kph. So I think either one of these fleece jackets will suffice?

Comes in handy sometimes

3kcYPU4.jpg
That's the Harley model, do they come in medium or large?

I'm a big fan of both Merino wool (Costco carries inexpensive merino wool undergarments) and Underarmour thermal gear; I wear 2.0 but am thinking of buying 3.0 for cold days skiing.
I like dual-use stuff I can use for both riding and skiing.

Hey @madmike

Any examples of commercially available tops that are made from Polartec Wind Pro fleece?
When I Google, everything that comes up is either just the material or a bunch of sweaters that don't contain it - the companies who pay for their ads to pop up regardless of accuracy or not. Grrr..

Rob
Men's Aker Fleece Jacket I bought the Daybreaker, you can find them for as low as $45 on Amazon.ca

I doubt the Costco model is made with windblocking fleece -- I'd have to see one to know -- but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom