Soft shell fleece vs down | GTAMotorcycle.com

Soft shell fleece vs down

Chrispy

Hello, first off I'm sorry for posting here but it seems the apparel section doesn't get much attention..

I'm looking to get a mid layer jacket under my armored leather, for a bit more warmth during the night rides. I'm debating between a soft shell fleece lined, whether it be Columbia northface Kirkland etc.. Or one of those thin downfilled puffy jackets. Thoughts? Thanks ?

I'm a fan of the 'puffy jacket' underneath my riding jacket

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of a windproof, insulated vest over my jacket, or a heated liner for colder conditions.

Heated jacket with a Warm & Safe wireless troller. Adjustable to be as warm as you want, without any bulk. Use it once and you'll immediately forget how much it cost.

Just got in, temp was 10c, had on a t-shirt, heated jacket liner, and my Klim jacket (pretty lightweight, zero insulation). Torso was nice and toasty, and I'm not someone that does well in remotely cold weather.

I like a ColdPruf layer under the jacket...takes away the cold spots and packs small.

Dual layer ..polyester and merino wool.

I'm tempted with the heated gears but it's just a short commute to work, approx 20mins, so I don't want to deal with charging it here and there. But I do ride during winter as long as it's above -10 before windchill. I survived with leather jacket and the 2 layers from an old Olympia 3in1. It's bulky so I'm hoping to replace those 2 layers with a one layer providing the same warmth.

I'm tempted with the heated gears but it's just a short commute to work, approx 20mins, so I don't want to deal with charging it here and there. But I do ride during winter as long as it's above -10 before windchill. I survived with leather jacket and the 2 layers from an old Olympia 3in1. It's bulky so I'm hoping to replace those 2 layers with a one layer providing the same warmth.

There is battery operated heated gear that you have to charge, but the stuff worth buying plugs into your bike battery. All it takes is one plug when you get on and off.

Last edited:
down works best when its allowed to stay puffy, it looses some value when compressed. heated vests are awesome and not alot more $ than a really good merino wool pullover or good windproof fleece.

Reactions: JFD
I've used a heated hoodie made by Milwaukee that I picked up from Home Depot for the past year. I already have M12 batteries for my tools and they charge up fast. I had plug in glove liners before. I found that I'd always forget to unplug before getting off the bike. I much prefer battery operated heated gear.

I dislike the bulk of multiple jackets, and it begins to affect flexibility and range of motion - i'm thinking of getting some plug in gear myself...pants would be good too if you plan on longer fall rides.

I just wear the nylon outer from an old ski jacket over my riding jacket and I'm good down to 2C. Hands freeze way before.

I like a ColdPruf layer under the jacket...takes away the cold spots and packs small.

Dual layer ..polyester and merino wool.

I bought one of these based on MacDoc's suggestion and it works well.
I got mine at Adventure Guide in Waterloo.

I also wear merino wool hiking socks inside my Goretex boots.

Cheers,

Rob

I have heated bar ends, they are a treat because I dont like bulky riding gloves. and I have wind deflectors on the bars of my touring ride.

I will be buying heated gloves this winter for skiing, im having some finger issues, heated mitts are in my future

Hello, first off I'm sorry for posting here but it seems the apparel section doesn't get much attention..

I'm looking to get a mid layer jacket under my armored leather, for a bit more warmth during the night rides. I'm debating between a soft shell fleece lined, whether it be Columbia northface Kirkland etc.. Or one of those thin downfilled puffy jackets. Thoughts? Thanks ?
Windblocking fleece would be my choice (something made from Polartec Wind Pro fleece). Down loses a lot of it's insulating capability under compression and when it absorbs perspiration. You really don't need much insulation under leathers even in cold weather, the chilling effect when riding in the cold is mostly due to cold air infiltration at zippers and cuffs, or if the jacket is not well fitted to the rider.

If it were me, I'd look for a decent cold weather riding jacket.

Would a simple heated vest be enough, my research shows that heated jackets only heat the front and back, not arms. Unless I'm missing something here lol

Would a simple heated vest be enough, my research shows that heated jackets only heat the front and back, not arms. Unless I'm missing something here lol

The two heated jackets I have owned, Gerbing and Warm & Safe heat everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom