Soccer/football thread 2022 | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Soccer/football thread 2022

Gutted!

He said in his press conference that he's just tired. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at some national side in few years, probably for the Germans if they have any brain left.

As for who's next for us...don't know man. Hope they don't go with some alumni players like Gerrard or something silly like that.

I hated that Gerrard went to Rangers, a club diametrically opposed to what LFC represents, but he did a decent job there. He never clicked at Villa, especially with their supporters who always felt he was treating their club as a stepping stone to Liverpool. His time in Saudi Arabia has been an unmitigated disaster, and combined with Emery's incredible success taking over Villa, has really dropped his standing in the sport. He hasn't endeared himself to the city lately, either, palling around with an Irish family with organised crime connections via his daughter. The only way I see Gerrard in charge is if whoever takes over is a disaster, and he comes in as a caretaker.

It's way easier to screw up the transition from an iconic manager than it is to get right. For every Shankly to Paisley success, there's many more Ferguson to Moyes catastrophes. Lijnders would be the obvious Paisley equivalent, carrying on the traditions set by the previous boss, so it's odd that he's been ruled out so early. Alonso was naturally inundated with questions at his Leverkusen press conference today, and did a lot of "I can neither confirm nor deny" answering.

Excellent weekend, Fulham beat United and Liverpool's B team win the cup over Chelsea.

Premier league a 3 team battle, Arsenal seem to be red hot right now.

Excellent weekend, Fulham beat United and Liverpool's B team win the cup over Chelsea.

I liked the photo I saw at the end of the match. Looked like a high school team! The youngsters will do well!

Wasn't even the B team, it was the U21s! Average age on the pitch at the final whistle was 21, and that included a 32-year-old Van Dijk and 31-year-old Endo. (who were both immense today, by the way, really carried the team, along with Kelleher).

Both Gravenberch and Endo left on crutches, so the infirmary now has 12 first teamers out, I think? Includes nailed-on starters like Salah, Nunez, Jota, TAA, Alisson, Szoboszlai and Jones, as well as Matip and Thiago. At this point it's just a matter of survival until the potential title-decider against City at Anfield on March 10th. I'd say they should play the kids against Southampton in the FA Cup, but they're already playing the U21s, they'll have to play the U17s.

Either way, it's all gravy from here for me. Klopp goes out with at least one more trophy, and sets the side side up for the future. He sounded very proud but very, very tired in the post-match press conference, and it was clear why he's stepping down. The YNWA with the crowd afterwards only matched the one after the Barcelona comeback for me for emotion. I know it's only the League Cup, but it felt like a big deal today.

Oh, and Caicedo got away with murder today. Glad he went to the 'blue billion-pound bottle-jobs' as my man Gary Neville so succinctly put it...

One of the rare times I've ever questioned Klopp's moves. Taking Salah and Robinson off was one of the reasons we lost that game yesterday. Gomez was a liability all game.

Can't believe after that much domination in the second half we still lost, credit to United, they hung in there despite being out classed and made the most of their chances.

One of the rare times I've ever questioned Klopp's moves. Taking Salah and Robinson off was one of the reasons we lost that game yesterday. Gomez was a liability all game.

Can't believe after that much domination in the second half we still lost, credit to United, they hung in there despite being out classed and made the most of their chances.

When that 5 on 1 didn’t produce anything I thought it could be a bad day and I thought Rashford will eventually not miss.

Didn’t think Gapco did a lot. Nunez was industrious. Salah scored one but didn’t seem too hungry otherwise. Robinson is sadly past his due date and a couple of the youngsters seemed a bit overwhelmed with the atmosphere at Old Trafford.

Yea, not sure what the strategy there was. When then played in Europa against Sparta Prague, I was shocked that the A team was there as starters and kept on the for the entire game to dominated. These things do happen in sports I guess, good chance for ManUre vs ManShitty finals.

Go Coventry :)

Yeah, pretty much a worst case scenario for the weekend. I was actually hoping he'd play the kids, as having the League Cup means the FA Cup is a distant third priority compared to the League and Europa. With all the injuries, essentially dropping out of the competition could have benefits for rest compared to City and Arsenal having some tough Champions League ties ahead.

While they did drop out, it was in the worst way possible. Gifted dirty ManU a boost (though keeping ETH around might have a net positive effect, long term), exhausted a bunch of players by having to play 120 minutes, and picked up three injuries, two to the forward line.

Maybe it was the reality check the side needed, that good vibes aren't going to win everything and they need to tighten their boots. Get that league, so Liverpool can have the party with Klopp that was so cruelly robbed of them by Covid. I thought losing to Arsenal would be bearable, but then I saw those pics of Arteta gagging for Salt Bae in Dubai and it crystallised why I find Lego Head so intensely unlikeable. It's going to be a tough summer if he's a PL winner or if City set the record with four titles in a row.

None of this to mention that while Liverpool supporters were so excited that FSG lured Michael Edwards back, it was revealed that his new role was partly to start acquiring other clubs a la City Group. One less bit of moral high ground held, one step closer to football truly being ruined by money. I always told myself that if the PL continues down this path of revolting wealth that I'd start following clubs further down the chain. Now, everywhere you look is some City-owned club, whether it's Girona in Spain, Palermo in Italy, NYCFC in MLS, etc. Even the CPL has Atletico Ottawa, owned by Atletico Madrid. Bah humbug.

Back
Top Bottom