So You Think You Can Read a Map! | GTAMotorcycle.com

So You Think You Can Read a Map!

guzzirider

2023.png
Example 2023.png

Late sring or early summer 2023

Have you ever been riding down a hi-way and looked at a secondary road leading off to the horizon wondering where it goes? Are you a new rider who needs the experience of riding roads with intersections and stop signs? Do you enjoy the experience of riding at a slower pace without some tailgater in a hurry to get somewhere? Have you ever stopped at a yard sale, fruit stand or roadside park while out on a ride.? Do you like the idea of going on a 200 km ride but being no more than 30km from home in case of emergency or weather deterioration? Do you like to bend Google Maps until it beaks? Do you think of getting lost as an adventure and not something to be feared?

My definition of being lost is not knowing what province or state you are in.
I have only been lost once!

If any of this sounds interesting then So You Think You Can Read a Map 2023 is for you.
The concept is loosely based on motogiro.
All sizes, age and types of motorcycles are eligible.
As long as it is registered, insured, street legal and capable of doing 80kph it qualifies.
All the roads will be paved but some may not have yellow lines.
Some sections may be rough and require driving a lower than posted speeds.
Some roads will have blind corners and single lane bridges.
This is not a parade but participants will depart at 1-2 minute intervals.
Small groups can join up after they start.
If there is enough participants riders may be sent off in clockwise or counter clockwise directions.
If I can get some volunteers to help me there will be a support vehicle, check points and emergency number.
This is a timed event based on average posted speed.
THIS IS NOT A RACE.
If you wish to test your navigation skills you will be suppled a start/finish time, punch card for check points, directions in letter or 2 inch enduro format strips and a route map in a sealed envelope.
You will loose points if the envelope has been opened.
For those who can not leave home without a GPS their will be Tourist Trophy Class.
You will be supplied with a paper map, and route in .gps or .kml format.

More info will be posted later or feel free to contact me.
The map posted is a preliminary one and will change as the event draws near.

Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.16.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.23.35 PM.png

Do you think of getting lost as an adventure and not something to be feared?
Absolutely! It's often a great way to find interesting new roads. The road rally sounds cool and I would love to join in if all the stars align....

Absolutely! It's often a great way to find interesting new roads. The road rally sounds cool and I would love to join in if all the stars align....
I will post more details as we get closer to spring.

Im in. Looks like fun.

Sorry but it's just not going to happen this year because of conditions out of my control.
I am enthused with the response and hope to reschedule for 2024.
I thank all the people who responded with support.

Back
Top Bottom