So this is strange and creepy | GTAMotorcycle.com

So this is strange and creepy

Clutt-225

This has had me kinda bugged. You know when you have a conversation about an item that your thinking of purchasing and bam your getting adds. You kinda think someone has been listening In to your conversations. Or maybe you already looked it up and forgot, so you let it go.

So the other day I met a guy at my house. He was there to purchase a used mountain bike from me.
We met had a chat he bought the bike and left. Side note he is a mechanic at the Trenton air base.
So couple days later I get a phone call from San-Diego that I ignore. I was left a voicemail.
When I listened to the message I thought I was listening to a pocket dial. Until I recognized the conversation. It was the conversation I had with the guy buying my mountain bike.

What is the purpose of this/ What happened?
Why did my or his phone record this transaction and why was it left for me as a voicemail from San-Diego?
My phone was locked in my pocket.

weird

I think I'd be doing a factory reset on that phone
and be very selective what apps to put back on it

Not sure about iphone but android phones have specific permissions you can set for individual apps. you can double check to see what apps you've given recording permissions to.

are you certain it wasn't his phone that did the recording?

no clue on the san diego number, that's a bit odd.

There was no pre-amble to the voice message? Did it max out the voicemail length?

Here is a possible explanation. It's a leap for sure, but I had fun thinking about it.

Pretty much all voice assistants (e.g. Google Assistant, Alexa, Siri) are known to retain (supposedly) limited recordings of audio for various reasons. Analysis for improving voice recognition, it was something that was manually transcribed (yup they do that), etc. There may have been a situation where the service was half-woken up i.e. hardware in the phone thought it heard the wake word, activated the voice assistant which *didn't* detect the wake word but stayed active to be ready in case it was wrong and you say it again. So it captured a long recording of human voices, sent it off to the magic computer in the cloud to be analyzed. Magic computer doesn't really know what to do with it (makes sense, you weren't actually trying to use an assistant) so it gets flagged for review by an engineer/unpaid intern. This human would in this case be located in San Diego, as all the applicable companies in this scenario have offices there.

Now, here's where I get stuck. At some level, this audio is associated with you and whatever account you are signed into this service with. As such, that account likely knows what your phone number is. In theory, generally, whatever humans that are doing whatever analysis on the audio aren't supposed to have context for it - they are not supposed to know who you are. But I don't see how that audio recording would get to you at that point, without human intervention.

Maybe said engineer/intern is paradoxically at the top of an escalation chain (someone who is privileged to access customer data, perhaps for law enforcement reasons) but also extremely bad at their job. Somehow they accidentally dialed your number semi-automatically (mis-clicked on something) while they were also listening to this audio recording.

I can give you another possible explanation, the wire tap made a boo-boo.

Wife told a joke and Siri laughed, Alexa laughed, google assistant told a better one.
Unplug your life

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My wife set up some kinda Google smart thingamajig you can talk to...
It sits on the kitchen counter...

Of course it's listening.
Why else would it be "free"?
Put a Furby next to it.

Wife told a joke and Siri laughed, Alexa laughed, google assistant told a better one.

Do any of those things even work worth a damn? My phone has Siri. It's most frequent reply to me when I do try to use it for anything other than answering texts is "I won't dignify that with a response"

Do any of those things even work worth a damn? My phone has Siri. It's most frequent reply to me when I do try to use it for anything other than answering texts is "I won't dignify that with a response"
What kind of freaking questions are you asking Siri??
Fwiw, I turned off the "Hey Google" feature.
And if I'm talking **** about my wife, I turn my phone off.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Before digital cell I was talking to a client and after I hung up I got a phone call from a guy who told me he picked up my call on either his FM or TV. He had enough info he wasn't guessing. Nothing nasty he was just warning me. Apparently a lot of politicians got caught having conversations with their mistresses. Reporters with scanners had some field days following them down the highway.

Not sure about Siri but I'm only limited by my rural internet on Google.
I will be the first to admit I'm a lazy fat ass.
We have a dog that eats anything so most of what we do is ask google if stuff is safe for him without looking for my phone to search it.
Also have lights and other stuff connected so I can shout at google to turn things on/off. The TV, netflix, the pool/heater, garage, car. christmas lights.

We don't have conversations that I would care if they were recorded. I am pretty sure my ads are getting pretty targeted but hey, at least I'm not seeing ads for stuff I have no relation to.

Before digital cell I was talking to a client and after I hung up I got a phone call from a guy who told me he picked up my call on either his FM or TV. He had enough info he wasn't guessing. Nothing nasty he was just warning me. Apparently a lot of politicians got caught having conversations with their mistresses. Reporters with scanners had some field days following them down the highway.
Television UHF and early cordless phones.

Back
Top Bottom