So.....recession time!? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

So.....recession time!?

Who wants to buy a LEC today? There's too much expense in the infrastructure and too much risk that wireless technology will make them obsolete. I'm guessing most LECs have little opportunity for growth and a very big chance of declining revenue.
Dear LEC,

Name a service you provide that I can't get from someone else.

I was at an OEL meeting and in the bull session afterwards everyone was complaining about how low their rates were. One guy stood up and said he'd had enough of it and was raising his rates $2.00 the next day. I saw a half a dozen guys write down his name so they could go after his customers at the old rate.

I was thinking about another line of business -- I have a public network background and LECs means something else to me.

I know 2 Licensed Electrical Contractors that operate small companies. The lead guy (owner) books and schedules jobs, manages the client and pays all the electrician's expenses (trucks, fuel, advertising, insurance, company tools etc). The electricians get 50% of their hourly billings and 10% on the parts they sell, he keeps the rest. I think this might be normal for these types of businesses.
In your case, all of the expenses are coming out of the owners 50%. In my hypothetical case, expenses came off the top and the remainder was split 50/50. Admin staff was included in the employee 50.

Local exchange companies for telephone were ok until Ted Roger’s built a cell tower .

Perfect example of small business guilty of its own success , my HVAC guy has had 3 employees in 15 yrs , they all left as he can’t organize more than 1 guy. Fixed two pieces of equipment for me , took two yrs to get an invoice. He just fixed two furnace for me in Nov, told him I need an invoice in 30 days , still waiting. He has two refrigeration units to fix for me . He’s gone ice fishing for two weeks . His own son works for a different HVAC company.
We like him , he’s a really good repair guy. Just the worst business guy I have ever met .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Local exchange companies for telephone were ok until Ted Roger’s built a cell tower .

Perfect example of small business guilty of its own success , my HVAC guy has had 3 employees in 15 yrs , they all left as he can’t organize more than 1 guy. Fixed two pieces of equipment for me , took two yrs to get an invoice. He just fixed two furnace for me in Nov, told him I need an invoice in 30 days , still waiting. He has two refrigeration units to fix for me . He’s gone ice fishing for two weeks . His own son works for a different HVAC company.
We like him , he’s a really good repair guy. Just the worst business guy I have ever met .

Small biz guys often behave that way. My kid runs a small biz, when he gets a bounced cheque or a small customer fails to pay an invoice he shrugs his shoulders and let's it slide. When he cleans out his truck at the end of each month he usually finds cheques he forgot to deposit. I set up his university student sister to collect from deadbeats, she kept half. Wife does it for him now.

I’m lucky I’m in education. If things go south then education is where people run to for weathering the storm, hoping to emerge more qualified in a sea of candidates. I didn’t plan things this way, 20 years ago I didn’t start out thinking I’d be teaching all the time, I thought it would be part of it. I got given more and more and more to teach then that coincided with the end of a large research grant and hey presto. Career change (more of a career deviation). Fortuitously I never looked back and don’t regret a thing. My colleagues have to do the equivalent of busking every year for funds to keep going whereas there’s no more cap in hand for me and my salary is equivalent. I never started out doing this for the money, I got paid less in Canada at the start when I arrived than I did the 3 years prior to that in Europe. I did it because I enjoyed it. Now I get both.

I’m not financially savvy at all. I’m learning a bit late to the game. The only thing I’m hoping for in the next little while is that the $US approaches the $Can again but that’s for selfish reasons….it opens up more travel areas I can feel wealthy in and can get farkles for my bike at a better rate.

such is the case with many people in the trades.

There are lots of great craftsmen, but lots of ****** businessman

I’m lucky I’m in education. If things go south then education is where people run to for weathering the storm, hoping to emerge more qualified in a sea of candidates. I didn’t plan things this way, 20 years ago I didn’t start out thinking I’d be teaching all the time, I thought it would be part of it. I got given more and more and more to teach then that coincided with the end of a large research grant and hey presto. Career change (more of a career deviation). Fortuitously I never looked back and don’t regret a thing. My colleagues have to do the equivalent of busking every year for funds to keep going whereas there’s no more cap in hand for me and my salary is equivalent. I never started out doing this for the money, I got paid less in Canada at the start when I arrived than I did the 3 years prior to that in Europe. I did it because I enjoyed it. Now I get both.

I’m not financially savvy at all. I’m learning a bit late to the game. The only thing I’m hoping for in the next little while is that the $US approaches the $Can again but that’s for selfish reasons….it opens up more travel areas I can feel wealthy in and can get farkles for my bike at a better rate.
Teaching is a very rewarding occupation, I did it on a volunteer basis for 20+ years and for several more as a profession. I found it to be stress free, pays very well, and offers tons of free time. In the end I left the profession because it became monotonous teaching the same stuff over and over.

I was in a very big business which is a lot different than in a college or uni -- learners wanted to be there and were aggressively competing to be the best in class.

It's a good fallback for me and I'll probably do it again on a part time basis when/if I ever retire.

Teaching is a very rewarding occupation, I did it on a volunteer basis for 20+ years and for several more as a profession. I found it to be stress free, pays very well, and offers tons of free time. In the end I left the profession because it became monotonous teaching the same stuff over and over.

I was in a very big business which is a lot different than in a college or uni -- learners wanted to be there and were aggressively competing to be the best in class.

It's a good fallback for me and I'll probably do it again on a part time basis when/if I ever retire.

I wish mine was stress free. That’s actually the biggest issue I have right now. I’m not going to complain as I’m well compensated but having several hundred people of wildly varying personalities and traits, all in a highly competitive environment, presents its own issues when you’re the point person for some of their mostly unfounded complaints. The most common one is that I’m always to blame if they get a bad grade and haven’t worked hard enough. None of these kids have been allowed to fail before and when they do they don’t believe it’s their fault.

I wish mine was stress free. That’s actually the biggest issue I have right now. I’m not going to complain as I’m well compensated but having several hundred people of wildly varying personalities and traits, all in a highly competitive environment, presents its own issues when you’re the point person for some of their mostly unfounded complaints. The most common one is that I’m always to blame if they get a bad grade and haven’t worked hard enough. None of these kids have been allowed to fail before and when they do they don’t believe it’s their fault.
There are problems in the academic classroom that have easy fixes in professional training. My learners were all employees and were being paid, all wanted to be there. Avery competitive application process vetted out the marginal.

In an academic setting not all learners want to be there, plus students (and parents) figure it's your job to make them excel. I was empowered to dismiss troublemakers and underperformers (all except the retreads) -- that's a tool every teacher should have.

When you need to be in the high 90's to just get in the door the stress has been growing for a long time.

There are problems in the academic classroom that have easy fixes in professional training. My learners were all employees and were being paid, all wanted to be there. Avery competitive application process vetted out the marginal.

In an academic setting not all learners want to be there, plus students (and parents) figure it's your job to make them excel. I was empowered to dismiss troublemakers and underperformers (all except the retreads) -- that's a tool every teacher should have.

I wanted the ejector seat button Bond had in one of his cars but that won’t fly with admin apparently.

Back
Top Bottom