So I have a "high risk takedown" question | GTAMotorcycle.com

So I have a "high risk takedown" question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metastable

I was looking at some motorcycle racing vids and the TV was on in the background. If I heard it right, one or more of the GTA police forces did two high risk takedowns today..... and they kept getting the WRONG couple. So if I understood it right, they were looking for a couple (not sure about the reason) and they took down one couple, then another, and they weren't the right ones. In both cases they showed video of peeps on the ground in the middle of the street and cuffed up. Now I'm not sure if it was the correct footage... but it kinda looked like it.

Anyhoo - question is.... if you are completely innocent and you get tossed on the ground and cuffed up..... if you get hurt or there is property damage done.... do you have recourse for reimbursement?

mulie.gif
You saw nothing, understand? Now move along before i make an example out of you.

Anyhoo - question is.... if you are completely innocent and you get tossed on the ground and cuffed up..... if you get hurt or there is property damage done.... do you have recourse for reimbursement?
depends on,,, like if you're Rodney King... and someone gets the video...

A quick search doesn't show a hell of a lot, of data. I found news stories about a couple of lawsuits, but nothing about final findings. I also couldn't find any judgments. I tend to think that this means settlements were reached though, rather than the cases failing. If they hadn't been successful, there would still be judgments to find.

I saw a gun response from Mississauga Police once and it was efficient, thorough and non-brutal. Some old fart thought it was funny to carry a toy pistol. He may have gotten cuffed temporarily but not taken away so probably no charges. First class by the cops.
The old guy's daughter came close to getting arrested because she was trying to go to his defence.
It may have been a different story if the guy looked or acted menacing.
Can we have the whole story complete with audio / video?

Yes, Just look at the Russell Williams case, the guy was guilty as hell, but the cops still paid for damage done to his home in the search for evidence. So if your innocent, I would think the same rules apply. However just simply being detained in cuffs while your identity is confirmed is well within the scope of the law, if you resist and get hurt, you have an uphill battle on your hands. Normally there is no reason to get hurt in a take-down.

Yes, Just look at the Russell Williams case, the guy was guilty as hell, but the cops still paid for damage done to his home in the search for evidence. So if your innocent, I would think the same rules apply. However just simply being detained in cuffs while your identity is confirmed is well within the scope of the law, if you resist and get hurt, you have an uphill battle on your hands. Normally there is no reason to get hurt in a take-down.

Some police are very agreesive and tazer happy. Depends on how they were taken down, what the physical damage is on their body and what witnesses say. Everything is subjective in this world.

So, you want to dress up like a gangster, hope for some mistaken identity by the police and win the lottery?

Interesting.... so it sounds like they probably try to keep things hush hush. I dunno man... it would kinda suck for you and your wife to be face down behind your car in the middle of the street.... just because you drive the same make of vehicle as the perps.

If there were settlements there were most likely stipulations that the terms were to not be made public

Jamie,

I suprised you're still alive to tell the tale. With that many guns, you'd figure they'd shoot first and ask questions later.
I never received your reply until now :)

Yeah, they did have snipers on the neighbouring buildings roof, so I guess they were prepared for me to walk out with some guns ready to rock. I guess the fact I was unarmed (when they took me down) helped in my survival.

I found the original RCMP article on the way back internet machine, I cached a copy of it in case it gets lost: http://tafb.xxx/rcmp

-Jamie M.

Yeah, they did have snipers on the neighbouring buildings roof, so I guess they were prepared for me to walk out with some guns ready to rock. I guess the fact I was unarmed (when they took me down) helped in my survival.

I found the original RCMP article on the way back internet machine, I cached a copy of it in case it gets lost: http://tafb.xxx/rcmp

-Jamie M.

LOL.. even a grenade launcher! That's awesome!

LOL.. even a grenade launcher! That's awesome!
It was my favourite :(

[video=youtube;wGps3JOVPC8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGps3JOVPC8[/video]

-Jamie M.

-Jamie M.

hahah wtf?

you gotta explain this story, cause according to that article you're a gun smuggling criminal lol

lol. Paperwork it was. All guns were claimed at the border, paid taxes on them, etc. Nothing was smuggled, ever. They said because I was pre-paid, for guns not yet in my possession, that it constituted a commercial (not personal) transaction. Therefor my personal import permits, personal firearms license, etc. was no longer valid for importing these guns. The RCMP said if I had have got a loan, it wouldn't have been a problem. But because large amounts of money had been wired to my bank account, it raised a red flag, and they discovered that the guns were destined for people other than myself (but those people all held the proper license for the firearms in question).

I was eventually charged with:
- 19 counts of Import without Authority (failure to have commercial import permit).
- 19 counts of Import Commercial Firearm without proper Business License
- 50 counts of Possession of Prohibited Device (the 50 round magazines that came with the PS90's. They were pinned to 5 rounds as per the law, prior to import, but the RCMP disassembled them and removed the pin, re-assembled them and said "that's how we found them" lol :(). And I was never ever in possession of them, ever, in the USA or in Canada.
- 7 counts of unsafe storage, for the guns at my house when they executed the search warrant... RCMP: "We found his safe wide open, and all of his gun cases open on his bed when we arrived." ummm yeah, that's why you had to ask me three times for the combo to my safe, and which keys were for unlocking which gun cases, etc. Why that crap isn't required to be video taped, I dunno.
and there were a few more charges for importing too much ammunition at one time for "personal use".

I plead guilty to 4 charges, which I for SURE didn't want to plead guilty to the prohibited device because that was the only one that carried a minimum jail sentence, and was such a crock of crap of a charge anyway, but they said because there were 50, they best they could do is reduce it to 1, not drop it all together.

Funny courtroom stories:

When I was trying to get bail (my case was reverse onus, google it, not fun) the judge asked my lawyer about my "criminal organization" bringing in such "huge quantities" of the prohibited 50 round magazines, for SURE must have been destined for gangs, think of all the children those magazines could kill (lol). My lawyer replied "Judge, that's like charging someone who robs Home Depot, for every single 2x4 he stole." the judge gave him the coldest stare ever *bam* bail denied, threat to public.

I guess every month or two they drag you back to court for a "bail review" to find out why you don't have bail yet, at my second bail hearing I guess the RCMP were hell bent on not letting me out. They had photos of the guns they took from my house (with the grenade launcher, etc.), went over well. They also had a bunch of items they took from my house, including a bullet proof vest (I bought expired ones and used them for target practice at the range). The RCMP hung the vest up on one of those light machines you use for looking at X-Rays. They announced to the judge/courtroom "This is a bullet proof vest we recovered from the defendants house. Behold..." *click* he turns on the xray light box thing, BOOM, vest is full of holes, like swiss cheese, the light shines clean through. There's a gasp in the courtroom and probably from the Judge too, she looked shocked. She said, in a somewhat worried voice "Mr. RCMP officer, which guns did the defendant own that could do THAT to a bulletproof vest!!??", the RCMP officer grabs the two page list of the guns that were taken from my house, looks it up and down, and says to the judge "Your honour, it would be shorter if I read you the list of guns he owned that COULDN'T do this to a bulletproof vest" the courtroom erupted "BURN HIM, BUUUUURN HIM!" and the judge slammed her binder down on her desk, bail denied, threat to public safety :(

The guards came by one day for my third bail review, I told them SCREW THAT! No f'ing way you're dragging me to another bail review, ESPECIALLY NOT ON PANCAKE TUESDAY!! I thought I was going to be in for a fight, but they just left. Never had any bail reviews after that, my trial date was set for 3 years 4 months away!!!! :(

In order to not rot in jail for more than 3 years waiting for my day in court I was forced to take a plea deal. I was sentenced to 1 year, got 2x credit for time served (plus some 3x for lockdown days) and got parole (which I'm told never happens at the provincial/under 2 year sentence level) after half of my sentence was done, then switched to 3 years of probation (and 10 year firearm/explosives ban) once my 1 year sentence was finished (actually only had to serve 75% because of good behaviour).

I've got some good jail stories too ;)

-Jamie M.
(P.S. for those not familiar, PS90 on the right, FS2000 on the left:
PS90_FS2000_edited.jpg

Last edited:
^^Holly crap that was a interesting read!! im studying law in uni right now so i know a lot of crap prosecutors and crown pull to get stuff to go there way. its actually really interesting how they twist the stories around and pretend like half of the **** never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom