Slip on exhaust | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Slip on exhaust

The hatred for loud pipes is so funny to me. :ROFLMAO: The article listed from Canada Moto Guide purportedly against loud pipes admits exactly the type of attention we seek from motorists when we rock our louder pipes.

"So you may hear a motorcycle approaching, but you won’t really hear much noise until it is next to you or past you."

With a louder pipe, this is precisely what I want. For the persons in the vehicle next to me to be aware of my presence as I pass their blind spot. I want the driver to understand that an object is coming and slowly passing them. They can obviously hear this if my bike doesn't sound like a sewing machine.

The rest of the article asserts that people are using this as some sort of early warning system to alert drivers from some distance. Which is absurd if true.

I've modded my bikes before and made them louder and I do recommend the same for any rider in the GTA, anyone who rides in the city, HWY, and anyone who wants to mitigate their chances of getting sideswiped. The law isn't going to stop some person in an car/SUV/minivan/18wheeler from not noticing you because of their A/C, and rolled up windows/kids/music.

I noticed a drastic difference in drivers noticing me from when I rode stock exhaust, to when I put a slipon. This does not improve personal skill, obviously and that is incumbent upon the user of the bike. All it does is make us a bit louder so the other road users are aware of my immediate presence and location relative to them (which their brains do automatically).

The blitz will be up and running Thursday nights right off lakeshore.. and by the Forks every weekend.. not in the middle of nowhere.. ;)

RoyalJordanian on youtube basically says the same thing and he rides in heavy London traffic daily. Some like sewing machines though... AS we can see in this thread :ROFLMAO:

Well, I bought my new-to-me bike with an akra slip-on that the previous owner put. The baffle is still in and I don't plan on removing it. I recall doing a sound test last year using my phone, and it was below or close to the max allowed by law.

That being said, with this slip-on on the highway, whether I'm going 40kmph (due to traffic) or 110-120kmph, 9/10 drivers turn their heads and check their side mirrors before I pass them. It's become a habit of mine to make sure they look, and it works.

No argument against. I don't understand this "learn how to ride defensively" argument. Using this logic, why wear an armoured jacket or pants or boots ? Throw on a wife beater, shorts, flipflops and just learn to ride defensively.

Well, I bought my new-to-me bike with an akra slip-on that the previous owner put. The baffle is still in and I don't plan on removing it. I recall doing a sound test last year using my phone, and it was below or close to the max allowed by law.

That being said, with this slip-on on the highway, whether I'm going 40kmph (due to traffic) or 110-120kmph, 9/10 drivers turn their heads and check their side mirrors before I pass them. It's become a habit of mine to make sure they look, and it works.

No argument against. I don't understand this "learn how to ride defensively" argument. Using this logic, why wear an armoured jacket or pants or boots ? Throw on a wife beater, shorts, flipflops and just learn to ride defensively.
What *is* the law for maximum decibels for an exhaust?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

What *is* the law for maximum decibels for an exhaust?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I don't remember if the HTA specifies a limit. For some reason I remember 95 decibels. Not sure if that's within the law or not, or even if there's a law. I thought 95 was, but I can't find it now

Copied from another thread.......

Under the by-law, a motorcycle cannot be operated in Oakville if it emits any sound exceeding 92 dBA (decibels) from the exhaust outlet as measured at 50 centimeters by means of a sound level meter while the motorcycle is idling.

92 dBA at idle, that's a good one, the stamp on your original exhaust system probably read 80 at one time.
Comparitive Examples of Noise Levels | Industrial Noise Control

No worries, the law will have no real teeth until they say it needs the stock or certified exhaust system and original untampered pollution control equipment in place. Till then you are only looking at an 80 something $ fine. If they are looking for street legal and find you are running an exhaust marked comp only, that could get expensive.

Read this on another motorcycle forum recently: "Hello,
In order to pass inspection I need to replace my muffler. I do not have a lot of money. What is the least expensive way to go? What other model year mufflers will fit the 2002 Honda Shadow vt750cd ?? "

So I recently bough my first bike, didn’t realize there was an aftermarket exhaust until my frd told me. Did some research. Apperently it this akrapovic S-K3SO1-ZC.
Slip on. The website also said this

THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT MEET EMISSION COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR STREET OR HIGHWAY USE.

Should I be worry about it? I already got it safety and inspected and got it played and insurance. But is this after market exhaust like illegal for me to have on the bike?

Attachments

• FD640594-8F7A-4CB8-BE52-B7AD4642CBDA.png
    FD640594-8F7A-4CB8-BE52-B7AD4642CBDA.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 893506F3-FBC3-443E-8A9F-F7C66528136C.png
    893506F3-FBC3-443E-8A9F-F7C66528136C.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 21
So I recently bough my first bike, didn’t realize there was an aftermarket exhaust until my frd told me. Did some research. Apperently it this akrapovic S-K3SO1-ZC.
Slip on. The website also said this

THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT MEET EMISSION COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR STREET OR HIGHWAY USE.

Should I be worry about it? I already got it safety and inspected and got it played and insurance. But is this after market exhaust like illegal for me to have on the bike?
Don't worry about it just ride the bike as long as you aren't revving like a douche bag no one will care.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

and yes it is illegal.

Looks like just a slip on, so the cat is still in place so emissions should be little to no change from that. That disclaimer is most likely cause they didn't want to bother testing/validating it

Hey he asked, you going to tell him it's not or leave him in ignorance of the law.
Always ask the previous owner for the big buck OEM parts when you buy a bike that has been modified, if the seller was treating you fair he should have supplied them in the first place.

Most time the OEM part gets sold off or was damaged. Bought my latest with an aftermarket exhaust, love it. But I do have a spare OEM sitting on the shelf....from before I bought the bike and will probably never get used.

Looks like just a slip on, so the cat is still in place so emissions should be little to no change from that. That disclaimer is most likely cause they didn't want to bother testing/validating it
I find most slip ons that say not for street use, or offroad use only, it's mostly because they don't meet noise requirements for most country's.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OEM exhausts get shelved, sold, discarded or damaged. People dropping their motorcycle and smashing up the original parts is probably highest on the list of reasons to replace exhausts and not provide the next owner with the original parts, Simply making the bike louder is probably the most popular reason. Setting the bike up for better performance and dedicated track racing, that one is at the bottom of the reality list.

Know how much an original stock exhaust system for an early Honda CB750 is worth right now? <- a great deal more money then any aftermarket exhaust that you could ever buy to fit one! Do you know what old motorcycles are worth the most money <- The ones that are complete, stock, & original, and that is how it has always been in our lifetime. I see people advertising used motorcycles and asking big bucks because the bike has been stripped and modified with a cheaper then stock original exhaust system, the entire airbox trashed and replaced with cheap paper pod filters, but unless they supply the original parts along with the bike at time of resale :/ you've been had to buy it like that imho.

Riding with a loud exhaust only makes you liable for breaking a highway traffic act law. ~80$ fine each time you get stopped I believe it is.
Removing the emission control equipment from a modern vehicle, well now you are breaking federal law. The real reason your loud muffler is stamped off-road only is because the manufacturer does not want to pay hundreds of thousands in fines and recalls, for having sold you something that defeats the vehicles emission controls.

The Globe and Mail had an article on noise pollution recently I think. The main comments in the article were about modified cars and bikes with the biggest hatred for the bikes. It’s coming ladies and gents. The day will arrive when your bike is more likely to get decibel tested at a roadside stop.

The Globe and Mail had an article on noise pollution recently I think. The main comments in the article were about modified cars and bikes with the biggest hatred for the bikes. It’s coming ladies and gents. The day will arrive when your bike is more likely to get decibel tested at a roadside stop.
This is hilarious :ROFLMAO: ! They really don't have anything better to do eh? "Hmmmmm, I think the time has come team, we really need to figure out what to do with our time....let's set up roadside stops with decibel meters and ding people for noisy vehicles". What a joke

This is hilarious :ROFLMAO: ! They really don't have anything better to do eh? "Hmmmmm, I think the time has come team, we really need to figure out what to do with our time....let's set up roadside stops with decibel meters and ding people for noisy vehicles". What a joke

Its noise pollution. The general topic has started to create a bit more of a buzz and the “loud pipes” things is likely going to get caught up in it. Pretty sure the bridge they are building near me to go over a rail line has to do with the trains sounding horns at 3am at the approach to the crossing in what is becoming a built up area.

Personally, I’m kind of in favour of it. Quality of life increases and all that.

Back
Top Bottom