Slip on exhaust | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Slip on exhaust

Only since exhaust systems became an integral part of your vehicles emission controls,
and lmao you are hearing this from avid motorcycle riders so just imagine how little support your loud pipes will garner from the many millions of non-riders.
To be fair, just because you don't subscribe to 'loud pipes say lives' doesn't mean others can't or shouldn't.

That being said, there are certainly some setups that are way over the top - baffles out, straight piped, etc.

I have ridden over a million kms on a bike in 35 years and I dont recall ever being in a blind spot of a big rig. When its time to pass whack that throttle open and be done with it. If its not time to pass hang back and wait.
Ditto.

I thought the y2k generation was highly trained to be the environmentally conscious generation but apparently some small percentage did not get the memo.

To be fair, just because you don't subscribe to 'loud pipes say lives' doesn't mean others can't or shouldn't.
That being said, there are certainly some setups that are way over the top - baffles out, straight piped, etc.

Laws to forbid things come about because something proved to be a significant problem.
I subscribe to; we should not need fences to keep people out of places they know darn well they should not be, we should not need speed limits to slow us down because we all drive at a sensible speed, we should not need locks because thieves should not steal stuff, we should not need no smoking laws because we all love the stink of burning tobacco, we should not need noise limits because we all want to hear you coming a mile away and we should not need pollution control equipment on anything because air pollution does not exist.

Now let's get real; when you make an internal combustion engine exhaust system less restrictive you also need to adjust the intake fuel/air mixture to accommodate that condition. The proposal to intentionally slip-on some extra noise will burn extra fuel and emit additional toxic gasses then allowed by federal law anywhere in North America. Since when did illegal activities become an acceptable option?
and yes indeed, it was always the way over the top offenders that ruined it for everybody.

Damn you guys must of been fun at parties
A slip on doesn't remove the cat so the emissions are changed how?

Since when did illegal activities become an acceptable option?
So;

What if i told you; there's a law from say 1931 that states you cannot walk around in public with your left hand in your pocket, something which i witnessed you repeatedly violating. If i called you on it would you continue to do it?

My 2 cents;

If Joe Plumbers' biggest problem in life right now is that the kid up the street rides his overly loud bike far too often in the wee hours of the morning then i want his life.

Last edited:
Trials' signature pic confuses me now.

Trials' signature pic confuses me now.
lol what makes you think I'm not in one of the police cars;)

If you guys are talking about certified street legal slip-on resonators then there never was any debate between us to begin with and more power to you, but I believe I made that clear from my first post in this thread "Did you narrow your search to street legal ones? Might be wise." If your slip-on exhaust does not comply, well there you have it, you could be the guy on the signature bike, or the kid living down the street from Wingboy riding his daddy's bike.

"A slip on doesn't remove the cat so the emissions are changed how" Depends on the bike, if the slip-on modification obsoletes a servo controlled butterfly valve as it would in the one shown in this video, or exceeds the legal noise limit, then there is your answer:

... my MV Agusta F3 is an example of an EPA compliant exhaust that has no tailpipe resonator to begin with and it sounds and works freakin awesome, no way would I want to alter it just to be louder.

The writing is on the wall, some just don't want to read it, but pursuing the offenders by making laws that require live sound testing will make it practically impossible to enforce. All they needed to do was to look for the stamp on the exhaust that indicates the bike that exhaust was made for and the EPA sound compliance which is much lower then what they are determining as acceptable. Stupid bureaucrats; 92 db means they will accept modified exhaust systems operating at ~2 times the OEM sound output.

epa-muffler-label.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe this is an urban rumour but I have heard of Quebec police stopping Ontarian riders with aftermarket pipes.

Maybe this is an urban rumour but I have heard of Quebec police stopping Ontarian riders with aftermarket pipes.
Sounds very plausible. I know people who have been ticketed in P.Q. for transporting a dirt bike in the back of an open pickup truck without the bike having a license plate on it. Also illegal in Quebec.

So;

What if i told you; there's a law from say 1931 that states you cannot walk around in public with your left hand in your pocket, something which i witnessed you repeatedly violating. If i called you on it would you continue to do it?

iirc, there's a law that makes anal sex between certain ages illegal (don't rmb the exact wording.); and no I never did anal before 18 sadly (BUT 16 YEAR OLD ME WOULD GLADLY VIOLATE THAT LAW!)

Whenever people use "IT'S THE LAW" as rational point of argument, they've effectively lost the argument. The law is not rational, ethical, or moral. The law is simply the law and should not be used as a way to determine rational, ethical, or moral outcomes.

Criminal Code

Holy ****, HOW MANY OF YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL?! Cause if you tried it before you were 18.............

Last edited:
lol what makes you think I'm not in one of the police cars;)

If you guys are talking about certified street legal slip-on resonators then there never was any debate between us to begin with and more power to you, but I believe I made that clear from my first post in this thread "Did you narrow your search to street legal ones? Might be wise." If your slip-on exhaust does not comply, well there you have it, you could be the guy on the signature bike, or the kid living down the street from Wingboy riding his daddy's bike.

"A slip on doesn't remove the cat so the emissions are changed how" Depends on the bike, if the slip-on modification obsoletes a servo controlled butterfly valve as it would in the one shown in this video, or exceeds the legal noise limit, then there is your answer:

... my MV Agusta F3 is an example of an EPA compliant exhaust that has no tailpipe resonator to begin with and it sounds and works freakin awesome, no way would I want to alter it just to be louder.
iirc, there's a law that makes anal sex between certain ages illegal (don't rmb the exact wording.); and no

Whenever people use "IT'S THE LAW" as rational point of argument, they've effectively lost the argument. The law is not rational, ethical, or moral. The law is simply the law and should not be used as a way to determine rational, ethical, or moral outcomes.

Criminal Code

Holy ****, HOW MANY OF YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL?! Cause if you tried it before you were 18.............

Exactamundo.

Law is just a guide line anyway, right?

first few minutes of the following clip are pretty funny, the rest seems to be broken:

This is exactly why the City of Toronto is looking to do a "crack down style blitz" on motorcycles this summer... So make it as LOUD as you possibly can it will accomplish 2 things. Keep the Popo focused on you and not responsible riders... Secondly, it will in a VERY small way help make up for YOUR lack of REAL riding skills...

The hatred for loud pipes is so funny to me. :ROFLMAO: The article listed from Canada Moto Guide purportedly against loud pipes admits exactly the type of attention we seek from motorists when we rock our louder pipes.

"So you may hear a motorcycle approaching, but you won’t really hear much noise until it is next to you or past you."

With a louder pipe, this is precisely what I want. For the persons in the vehicle next to me to be aware of my presence as I pass their blind spot. I want the driver to understand that an object is coming and slowly passing them. They can obviously hear this if my bike doesn't sound like a sewing machine.

The rest of the article asserts that people are using this as some sort of early warning system to alert drivers from some distance. Which is absurd if true.

I've modded my bikes before and made them louder and I do recommend the same for any rider in the GTA, anyone who rides in the city, HWY, and anyone who wants to mitigate their chances of getting sideswiped. The law isn't going to stop some person in an car/SUV/minivan/18wheeler from not noticing you because of their A/C, and rolled up windows/kids/music.

I noticed a drastic difference in drivers noticing me from when I rode stock exhaust, to when I put a slipon. This does not improve personal skill, obviously and that is incumbent upon the user of the bike. All it does is make us a bit louder so the other road users are aware of my immediate presence and location relative to them (which their brains do automatically).

The blitz will be up and running Thursday nights right off lakeshore.. and by the Forks every weekend.. not in the middle of nowhere.. ;)

Loud pipes save lives!!......NOT

Don't annoy other drivers. Making more noise is the worst excuse for wanting a louder exhaust and is irresponsible.
Take a course, learn defensive riding skills.
Off-topic troll.

Aren't most popular branded slip-ons with baffles legal ?
Most no, some yes, the ones that intentionally make lots of noise, no, the ones that are sold for competition only, no, the ones that don't say, they aren't telling us.

add: Ontario law HTA 75(1) specifically states no "hollywood mufflers" but you'd have to be as old as me to even know what that is.

Back
Top Bottom