Slip on exhaust | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Slip on exhaust

I never liked the sound of a 2 cylinder bike with an aftermarket exhaust on it. They all sound like a series of never ending farts projected through a megaphone!
I did love the sound of the Akrapovic exhaust I have on my 06 Kawi ZX-6R. Tastefully loud is the best way to describe it. I did not put it on for any pretence of having the sound save my life. I just plain liked the way it sounded. Never have got to see if it would pass the "noise test" but I think it might. Not even close to as loud as that Honda clip someone posted earlier.
Same. Four years I've had a 650 versys, parallel twin. Still has the stock exhaust as I dont see the value in it for this bike. Zero performance gain from a simple slip-on, bike is already lean from the factory. It'll sound like a John deere and I like longer rides. I'm ok with stealth mode.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP, I've owned three bikes. None had stock exhausts.
  1. GS500F had a slip on....and ran like ****; think fart fart sounds and ****** power response.
  2. GSXR750 had a full system and tuned ($$$), ran like a dream. Sounded like MegaMan charging his Mega Buster to max power at higher RPMs, shot a constant tiny blue flame once high enough in revs. Power response was predictable, and amazing. Funny enough this is the most quiet out of the 3 until it hits 11k+ RPM.
  3. RSV1000R had a slip on...except the old owner decided to cut some of it to make it sound louder. Runs like dog ****. Rather than fart fart sounds, this one sounds like a pirate ship's cannon misfiring multiple times. Power response is kinda laggy similar to the GS500F....except this goes from no power to wheelie very fast
I would never again **** with a motorcycle's exhaust setup without going full system and getting it tuned. My opinion is that noise without power is dumb. If you're gonna make noise and draw attention to yourself, have the power and skills to deserve the attention.

...problem is that's waayyyy out of your budget range.

So, imo, hacksaw the pipe and wear ear plugs. I'm not even kidding, you'll get noticed 100%

(But seriously to each their own, just giving you my experience.)

How does one end up in a blind spot through no fault of their own?

Come on, really?

Ride a lot on big highways. It will happen. There are times when traffic does unpredictable things around you and you end up in less than ideal placements amongst other vehicles. I've had it happen to me, and I've seen it happen to others on MC's around me.

Last edited:
EV manufacturers may be required to have their vehicles make noise to lessen hazards to pedestrians.
[

This has been a thing on the Volt (which, as some may know, I own 2 of) since 2016. Yes, the fact that they're too quiet is a real problem on all EV's. The new Hyundai EV we are looking at also has a noisemaker at low speed, as do most other EV's now.

News on crack-downs doesn't make me happy it just seems so obviously inevitable, all it would take is for the law makers to demand a mechanics certificate confirming the OEM emissions equipment is in place to get your tag for your modern motorcycle and how many of you guys would be scrambling for parts instead of riding?

My bet is that 99.9% of non motorcycle mechanics (which face it, would be doing these sorts of inspections) wouldn't be able to identify stock exhaust equipment from aftermarket.

Decibel checks are a possibility, but the way the laws are written (very vague when it comes to "excessive noise") it's doubtful many would hold up in court enmasse if push comes to shove - unless the laws are rewritten to specify exact numbers.

To be clear, I wouldn't be against that - I cringe and get ****** anytime there's a straight piped bike on which the driver determines he/she needs to let loose, which it seems more often than not, is through residential areas and in towns etc where it's the most obnoxious.

However, I can't see it being implemented in any practical fashion - we can't even get mandatory yearly safety inspections on cars, motorcycles are barely on the goverments radar.

Come on, really?

Ride a lot on big highways. It will happen. There are times when traffic does unpredictable things around you and you end up in less than ideal placements amongst other vehicles. I've had it happen to me, and I've seen it happen to others on MC's around me.
I have ridden over a million kms on a bike in 35 years and I dont recall ever being in a blind spot of a big rig. When its time to pass whack that throttle open and be done with it. If its not time to pass hang back and wait.

I have ridden over a million kms on a bike in 35 years and I dont recall ever being in a blind spot of a big rig. When its time to pass whack that throttle open and be done with it. If its not time to pass hang back and wait.

And just when you're on the 401/US Interstate, about to pass a truck/car/whatever, and another vehicle pulls in front of you in that same lane going too slow...do you just run into the back of it, or do you slow down...and perhaps find yourself in a less that perfect situation?

Happened to me just last summer on the way to Niagara for a riding weekend with buddies. I may actually have video of it somewhere, I had my GoPro on my bike at the time. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I certainly didn't like it (When I had to hit the brakes I was square off the drive wheels of the truck, a known blind spot big trucks, especially for MC's) and at that exact moment there wasn't much I could do about it. I changed blocking positions (gave myself an out), wanted to slow down to get out of the situation...but there was another car tailgating me (so that was arguably risky as well trying to slow down enough to get completely away from the entire length of the truck), so I more or less had to sit there until the stupid idiot in the car realized he probably didn't belong in the fast lane at 100KPH.

I've had things of that nature happen, however i know before the gager knows that they are running out of room and are going to move. When someone moves directly into me, I will use the paved shoulder to avoid them and then the one finger wave. I had a guy and his wife in their gage cut between me and my riding bud then tailgated me about 3 feet off my tire I turned around to see what the issue was. The jackass was giving me the finger and yelling f u so I moved out of his way and followed a ways back from him until he got off the highway. I have no problem giving an ass a carbon knuckle sandwich when he has no respect for my life. That one time is the only time I felt a need for confrontation before he killed a fellow biker.

My bet is that 99.9% of non motorcycle mechanics (which face it, would be doing these sorts of inspections) wouldn't be able to identify stock exhaust equipment from aftermarket.
You think 0.1% are competent enough to recognize OEM from aftermarket? That's only 1 in every 1000 carbon units.
I'll take your money on that one.

I will use the paved shoulder to avoid them and then the one finger wave

For me, as a commercial driver, my overriding goal is avoid dramatics and potentially instigating road rage which can (and often does) just escalate things.

On a motorcycle, you'll never win an argument between vehicles, so as ****** off as I might get sometimes, I will never gesture or act aggressively somehow (following people, etc) simply to make myself feel better.

And in a commercial truck, road rage cause people to do stupid things. If I give someone the finger and they decide to "teach me lesson" and brake check me, since people are woefully clueless about how hard it is to stop a tractor trailer...if I run into them and kill the driver, nobody wins there either.

Cool, calm, collected is the professional way. I've had passengers with me before who got upset when a car did something stupid around/beside/in front of and saw that I didn't react. I just stay cool as a cucumber. If I got upset every time someone did something like that around my truck I would have had an aneurism 20 years ago.

I see no benefit in losing my **** on the MC either anytime someone does something dumb. I get myself the heck out the situation and move on. Anything else isn't worth my life.

You think 0.1% are competent enough to recognize OEM from aftermarket? That's only 1 in every 1000 carbon units.
I'll take your money on that one.

Probably right, closer to 99.99% likely.

On a motorcycle, you'll never win an argument between vehicles,

I locked a guy out of his own car at an intersection once :D he lost that argument pretty good.

EV manufacturers may be required to have their vehicles make noise to lessen hazards to pedestrians.

New law to tackle electric cars’ silent menace to pedestrians

Now why do you suppose noise might be a good thing from a vehicle? And why would such a measure -- a vehicle making sound -- not translate to the discussion at hand?

Jeez, some people are like anti-vaxxers on this topic.

Pedestrians. Most car drivers are travelling in semi to excellently sound proofed boxes. Some pedestrians are also blind and rely on sound. There’s a big difference. A horn makes more difference on a bike than loud pipes as it is designed specifically to say “hey watch out” for a specific event rather than constant use, like loud pipes. It’s also a tone we react to like an alarm tone rather than traffic drone.

Also the older I've gotten the more I realize how little bang per buck a slip on actually is when riding, especially with ear plugs in.

All you that like stock exhausts, good for you... But dont be such a little ***** about some people just wanting to have a kick *** sounding bike cause all these new bikes sound like crap outta the factory

All you that like stock exhausts, good for you... But dont be such a little ***** about some people just wanting to have a kick *** sounding bike cause all these new bikes sound like crap outta the factory

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

All you that like intentionally loud exhausts, good for you... But dont be such a little ***** about some people just wanting to have reasonable parameters around peace and quiet, cause all these intentionally loud bikes sound like crap, break laws, void your manufacturers warranty and alienate the general publics attitude towards motorcycles.

Just put the garbage out tonite.The young guy that lives about 10 houses down with mommy and daddy has an R1 with a full race system very poorly tuned.Popping and farting all the way down the street in 1st gear at prolly 4k rpm.
The WRPS will be paying you a visit.Waterloo has a really tight noise bylaw.

Just put the garbage out tonite.The young guy that lives about 10 houses down with mommy and daddy has an R1 with a full race system very poorly tuned.Popping and farting all the way down the street in 1st gear at prolly 4k rpm.
The WRPS will be paying you a visit.Waterloo has a really tight noise bylaw.

Can you ask him what insurance companies he's with to be that young with an R1 out here?

Alright Grandpas lmao. Since when did a slip on do so much harm?
Glad you asked.If you are a shiftworker,a slip on equipped neighbour is a huge pia.The only reason for a slipon is a purely selfish lookatme thing.

I'll take the "Grandpa lmao" as a compliment at my level in our two wheeled world. Carry on and ride safe. Ric.

This is a good thread and needs to stay here in "New Riders".Just remember the rules of the subforum " NOTE: Flaming will not be tolerated at all. "

Alright Grandpas lmao. Since when did a slip on do so much harm?
Only since exhaust systems became an integral part of your vehicles emission controls,
and lmao you are hearing this from avid motorcycle riders so just imagine how little support your loud pipes will garner from the many millions of non-riders.

Back
Top Bottom