• Sunday August 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunday August 14

• Sunday August 28

• Total voters

SeaBreez

Is there anyone interested in Sky Diving this summer?

EDIT: Sept. 07 2011

Yahoo....

Did it - 14,000 ft.!

Aug. 27 2011...!!!!!

Thanks to all who helped get this off my bucket list!

c401ab89.jpg

Motorcycle trip to the jump school...

Jump out of a plane.

Be home before 11:00 news? Or find accommodation?

Can any experienced Sky Divers recommend a School, etc...?

SeaBreez

Sky Diving: Number one on my bucket list.

Last edited:
Yahooooooo, on my bucket list too. I'm in, especially if we get a big enough group I think those schools give a discount.

i will sign up my wife to jump but i think i will stay on the ground.

Never in a million years.

I'd love to.....but I gotta meet the weight requirements first lol

Skydiving ain't for lineman sized men. I'll settle for bungee jumping in the meantime (http://www.bungee.ca/) :D

Gananoque airport had the best rates when I was jumping years back. It was also a nice part of the province to spend the weekend, and back then you could pitch a tent beside the airport hangar the night before your jump school and jump. There's also a jump school down in Dunnville beside the former Dunnville Autodrome.

I found skydiving to be much easier than bungee jumping. From a bungee jump platform you can still see every blade of grass below you including the one that would kill you if things went wrong, and that made the plunge you were about to take a very real thing to anticipate. No such thing with skydiving. Looking out of the plane, the ground is far far away, more of an abstract thought than a definite kill zone.

I got in thirty jumps in before I got bored. I'm not sure which was the best part of the ride - plummeting to the earth in freefall, or floating to the earth and enjoying the calm and the view from up high. In that time I had one of the old round chutes fail to come out of its pack, and I had a Paracommander roman candle on me. The first one was easy, roll onto back and pull the reserve. The second one was tougher - I can't roll to use the reserve until I pulled the caplocks to get rid of the fouled main chute, but the fouled chute was at least slowing me down a little bit. What if I cut away the main chute and the reserve didn't work. Decisions decisions... but the ground coming up fast has a way of forcing the issue and I eventually did cut away the main chute, and the reserve did work.

I have some experience.Freefall is wonderful.I'll come nd watch.Contact zooropa_chris. for serious info.He has more leaps logged than me.

Turbodish, lol.

I did one "jump" in Arthur. Round chute. 4 hrs. of pre-jump simulation in the barn. Still left the plane like a sack of potatoes. Thank God for automatic opening. I'm pretty sure if that hadn't opened properly I wouldn't have had the wherewithall to scoop out the reserve. At 2700 ft. you don't get a lot of time. Once open, the ride down was sensational.

Whoever is in...

We will have to decide on Location?

Close to Toronto? or week end away from town?

Camping or hotel etc? Wife and I prefer hotel, but love the fun of camping too.

I will wait for further recommendations for a good jump school and then get prices etc...

Group rate sounds good too.

YAaaaa HOOOoooeeeEEEEE!

Thanks for the Info. turbodish... what size knife would you recommend?

Looking forward to the adrenaline rush....... :D

(Bucket list item #1)

Basic info so far...

Book 1-2 weeks in advance with $50.00 deposit
2-3 weeks for long weekend

Solo: lessons 9:00 am - lunch - Jump - $288.00
Tandem: Daily lessons and jump - $298.00

SkyDive Toronto Inc.
Cookstown.

http://www.skydivetoronto.com/

Thank you for your inquiry. Skydive Toronto’s programs are among the most exciting experiences of high adventure.

The Tandem Skydive, made from ten to twelve thousand feet, after 1 ½ to 2 hours of preparation, with you connected to an instructor, serves an orientation to all that skydiving has to offer. You experience 40 to 50 seconds of freefall and about 5 minutes of canopy descent with an amazing panoramic view of Barrie, Lake Simcoe and the skyline of Toronto. This is the most popular program for our first time jumpers. Bookings for your arrival and prep time are taken hourly from 8:00am to 3:00pm. The best times are the 8:00 and 9:00 time slots as the prep time is 2 or more hours and the winds sometimes go beyond jump limits in the afternoon.

The solo first jump course, in which you jump from 4000 feet with your parachute automatically deployed, after 3 to 6 hours of training is the traditional way of making your first skydive. You jump on your own and you do need to do a whole bunch of things properly.

If you would like to become a certified skydiver, I would advise you to do the solo first jump course ($289). If you want a thorough introduction to skydiving I would advise you to do the tandem skydive ($298). If you would like to become a certified skydiver and you are time challenged you are advised to do the tandem skydive and then sign up for our progressive free fall program. This PFF program is a series of 10 jumps from ten to twelve thousand feet made with one or two instructors helping to stabilize you ($1900).

Attached is some more information for your consideration. If you want more information or if you would like to book an appointment for a skydiving course, please call us at 1 800 668-5867 or if you have any difficulty getting through to us, give us your phone number.

Regards, Joe

Can anyone tell me how to attach the pdfs. he sent me?

Last edited:
I have some experience.Freefall is wonderful.I'll come nd watch.Contact zooropa_chris. for serious info.He has more leaps logged than me.

Hey, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences...just waiting for other members to share prices etc...

Thanks Wingboy - will contact zooropa_chris.

BTW you can find me in the bar too. :) - Nice pictures at the Super Show. (I get not quite understanding the camera - I gave up on the operating instructions on my Bberry after page 250 - who can read a 500 page instruction manual - really???).

Last edited:
I've done about 1,500 skydives and am a certified Instructor A and Coach II. I have skydived at about a dozen places in Ontario and about the same in the states. Started in 1991.

I would suggest going to a Drop Zone that is certified by the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association (CSPA). This is the governing body that makes the rules that ensures our safety. Arthur wasn't part of this organization and...well, that is why so many people landed like 'Roman Candles' under their round parachutes that are sold as car tarps out of a warehouse in Florida for $25. No thank you.

Skydive Toronto is owned by Joe Chow. Aweseome guy, and his whole family skydives and runs the Drop Zone. The only problem is that he is just using Cessna's to jump from, so it is a slow, cramped ride to altitude and you only get 10,500'. If you go to Skydive Burnaby or Niagara Skydiving then you will have turbine aircraft to jump from. It's a lot more comfortable and you get 13,500' for altitude. I have done probably 700 jumps at Burnaby and about 100 at Niagara. Both places are great, and you can rest assured that you have the best skydivers around doing your tandem for you.

I would suggest a tandem for the first jump. It is only a half hour briefing and off you go. Tandems are the way to go. There is nothing feminine about being harnessed to a qualified Tandem Master and going out of a plane. Tandems are way safer for your first time too, and they count towards your training if you decide to continue anyway. Most places offer an IAD or Static Line type of jump for your first jump, but you have a whole day course to learn the basics to land safely on the ground. I wouldn't suggest this as it takes a lot of the fun out of it since you have a 'job' to do to make sure you get down safely.

The weight restriction is usually about 225....but it isn't carved in stone. If a woman who is 5'0" and weighs 225 lbs wants to go, then that is the max. If a guy shows up and is 6'2", built like a brick sh*thouse and weighs 250 lbs, he can still go (they would just make sure they put him with the right tandem master).

Thanks zooropa_chris,

Your experience and knowledge is appreciated. Plus the tip to get the DVD.

The suggestions are awesome. I'd be happy to go tandem and save on 3-4 hours of lessons :)

These two links are for SkyDiving Niagara region: flying higher, in bigger planes (seeing the falls too).

http://www.skydiveburnaby.com/

http://www.niagaraskydive.com/

So here are the facts so far:

Niagara region: bigger planes higher drop. sounds good to me!
$300.00 is the going rate per person - 10 people = $20.00 off each
DVD add $100.00
minimum 1-2 weeks notice - July and August are busiest (book earlier)
$50.00 deposit per person
Weight/proportion: female 200 pounds, Male 225 pounds

All aboard...let's start saving $$$.

SeaBreez

SeaBreez

Last edited:
Did u just say "jump out of a perfectly good plane" and being on the 11pm news?

Seriously tho, I want to do it, but the funding will not allow. There is so much things I want to do....
<<sigh>>
As I go older, my mind is reacting more negatively towards it, lol

Chris took me around a Drop Zone and Diving school, it was a good experience

sounds awesome!! I'm definitly in if I get a sumer job right away. I wonder if they will let me use my new gopro HD

I think that would be pretty darn sweet. I'll cross my fingers for you to get a summer job :)

sounds awesome!! I'm definitly in if I get a sumer job right away. I wonder if they will let me use my new gopro HD

I was just thinking the exact same thing:)
Edit: not about the summer job but the GoPro.

Back
Top Bottom