single vs twin vs four | GTAMotorcycle.com

single vs twin vs four

Chris-CJ

I had the opportunity to test ride these bikes, all of them naked road bikes from BMW
All of the bikes were quality engineered and handled well, obviously the displacement differences relegated "performance" to separate quadrants.
The GS 310, smallest of the lot managed to keep up if you wound it against the rev-limiter in the lower gears, very "flickable" and a good choice for in-town riding. This bike is actually made in the TVS factory in India, but the quality is impeccable.
Displacement-wise, the R9T falls in the middle, but this one is extremely torquey and makes an excellent backroads burner. The "blat of the opposed twin has loads of "character" and it's minimalist design drew favorable comments at stop lights and gas station.
The S1000R has the power and what I liked most was the clutch-less shift, both up and down. The bike punches out 160 hp at 11,000 rpm and 112 Nm of torque at 9,250 rpm [it's sibling the RR has 199 hp at 13,500 rpm and 113 Nm at 10,500 rpm] and is tuned to be more "street ride-able".
When comparing apples to apples with bikes from the other manufacturers, what is your opinion?

Acknowledgement:
Wolf BMW of London arranged the rides for the GS 310 and the S1000R.
If you plan on purchasing a BMW bike, visit their showroom, Mark Minnie, the owner-principle is an expert "adventure" rider.
Both Mark and Jacqui Cosgrove [who runs the Showroom], are more interested in getting you on your choice of bike vs. just selling.

Attachments

• G 310 R _ BMW Motorrad.jpg
    G 310 R _ BMW Motorrad.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29
  • R nineT Pure _ BMW Motorrad.jpg
    R nineT Pure _ BMW Motorrad.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 29
  • S 1000 R _ BMW Motorrad.jpg
    S 1000 R _ BMW Motorrad.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 29
Another vote for wolf. Many years ago I rode out there to buy some boots. Seemed like great people.

Inline fours vs v fours? Boxers? The configuration and displacement also makes a difference. I test rode behind a fellow on an s1000rr and he looked very uncomfortable. Many of the mid to upper Yamahas and BMWs I tried seemed to have clutch less shifting. I would have to get used to it as, I normally roll off and back on for clutch less shifts.

Last edited:
When comparing apples to apples with bikes from the other manufacturers, what is your opinion?
In reference to the i-4s, BMW models are generally regarded to do everything well. I would agree as i've sampled the entire lineup now. However, it is also generally agreed that they lack the character of other brands.

Also prefer triples to i-4s.

I havent ridden every kind of engine configuration yet, but I like triples...and V twins(provided they are in a modern and lightweight bike)

But as always the universal constant applies...anything on 2 wheels is always good(Some day when I am old enough to afford 2 insured bikes, I will venture into dualsport/dirtbike territory)

had always been a fan of I-4's
the smoothness and sound and top end are nice

didn't know what I was missing until I bought a Yamaha CP3
torque is way more fun than top end HP
especially if you don't like tickets

now both bikes are V-twins and couldn't be happier
have a feeling I'll own one of those single crank pin torque monsters eventually

had always been a fan of I-4's
the smoothness and sound and top end are nice

didn't know what I was missing until I bought a Yamaha CP3

now both bikes are V-twins and couldn't be happier
have a feeling I'll own one of those single crank pin torque monsters eventually
For large displacement bikes (litre and up) I prefer I4s, they make enough torque and tons of hp starting mid rpm. For smaller displacements, I like Vtwins, they make more usable torque at low RPM making them easier to ride.

For larger displacement, I love the roar, and torque curve, of a V4.

What do you do to have fun with loads of torque, pop wheelies? or pull a trailer?

What do you do to have fun with loads of torque, pop wheelies? or pull a trailer?
Fun with twins is"not" having to be constantly rowing thru the gearbox. Every i4 i have ridden was an exercise in keeping the revs up. And yes, i know there are exceptions.

Ah! so fun is not having to shift gears :| Buy an automatic.

Was a serious question! how do you have fun riding torque unless you are doing serious work with it?

Was a serious question! how do you have fun riding torque unless you are doing serious work with it?

At any time, in any gear, whack the throttle open and get a smile. The alternative of drop two or three gears, then whack the throttle open and smile appeals to me much less.

Fun with twins is"not" having to be constantly rowing thru the gearbox. Every i4 i have ridden was an exercise in keeping the revs up. And yes, i know there are exceptions.
Try a Busa, Connie or FJR if you want an I4 that will pull a trailer while pulling wheelies.

You'd know if your ride of choice was a decent naked instead of a super sport.

Just sayin` :devilish:

Back
Top Bottom