should we take our bikes out? | GTAMotorcycle.com

should we take our bikes out?

JMH600CBR

this winter is getting on my nerves with the up and down of the weather. its already hard enough being away from my bike but now its painful. what do you think? should we start riding?

I don't normally put bikes away. This weather is terrible for them though. We haven't had a big rain storm to wash away all the salt and it is wet out, so your bike corrodes quite quickly. It is actually much better for your bike when it is colder (so there is no water on the road).

i'm just about ready to take er out for a spin...havent seen any other bikes out though..aka: the reason for this thread

I road February 1st.. then decided that's ridiculous, and put my bike away for good on the 2nd

Is the salt that much of a concern if you wash and dry the bike off afterwards?

it's hard getting all the sand and salt out of the nook and crannies on a bike, unless you like taking all the plastics off when you wash it.

I'll wait another month. besides, if i started riding now, I'd stop snowboarding lol

I wash my bike thoroughly but if we are talking about some rust on some brackets etc... who cares. by the time that kind of corrosion is visible I will have sold the bike in a few years.

As long as its not doing any motor damage, that would be my concern. The rest will last a few years before signs of that no?

It seems this topic is becoming a weekly thread just like the "Traffic light won't change" thread. 

i'm just about ready to take er out for a spin...havent seen any other bikes out though..aka: the reason for this thread

Other than myself, I've seen a few bikes out and about the last several weeks. Mostly sport-touring and cruisers, but a few SS too. Whenever the weather's clear and the temperature is somewhat reasonable (ie today), you can pretty much guarantee there's a few of us nuts out there. :p

That said, be mindful of the reduced traction your tires will have, obviously can't go too crazy out there right now.. also be prepared for unexpected changes in the weather. I dropped my V-Strom a few weeks ago after getting caught in some unexpected snow after a dinner. Didn't help that it was at Pacific Mall, and the area hadn't been salted or plowed but south of Markham was clear...

If you go out, ride safe and remember, cagers aren't expecting us -- not that they ever are, but they're especially oblivious this time of year.

I've been riding for the last 3 days, and now i'm going out again.

Same. My insurance expires Feb 10th and I'm not renewing again until April (1st year since M1)...trying to squeeze as much riding time as possible even if it's freezing cold cause I'm gonna end up going ape **** with not riding for 2 months.

油井緋色;1722967 said:
Same. My insurance expires Feb 10th and I'm not renewing again until April (1st year since M1)...trying to squeeze as much riding time as possible even if it's freezing cold cause I'm gonna end up going ape **** with not riding for 2 months.

Have fun answering the question "have you had continuous insurance during the previous 6 years" when it's time to renew.

I was out yesterday, couldn't take it anymore so I took her for a spin. Stick to major well travelled roads (less crap on them). I think the salt concern is overstated, the bike isn't going to turn into a rust bucket from a bit of salt now and then. I used to ride my 250 whenever it was +1 degrees out and never had a problem with the salt (although it was on the bike for sure).

Back
Top Bottom