Should I rush to register for M licence? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I rush to register for M licence?

UnderCat

Hello,

I have my M2 that I got 2 years. My insurance renewal comes up in the end of July. I was wondering if M license will knock down some amount from my rates.
Everything is booked up right now. I found a couple of spots for M test in the end of July/early August. Or I could sign up for a M course (this Sunday).

I am also thinking to get a new bike (300CC -> ~700-1000CC naked/cruiser).

I feel pretty confident riding so wondering if its worth it stressing over it right now to get a lower insurance rate.I I would prefer to avoid dropping $400 on a course. getting M and then not getting any insurance reduction.

I wouldn't spend $400 on a course with the expectation that would you get that money back in insurance savings going from M2 -> M, I don't think that will happen.

I *would* think about making concrete plans for actually doing the M test, as there are a surprising number of cases of people not getting around to it and then letting their motorcycle license lapse completely

Taking a certified course will save you more on insurance than the cost of the course. Learning **** is a bonus.

My M2 expires in August this year and I will not play around. I've failed a driving test over something dumb so even though I did my M1 exit course, I paid up and will also do the M2 exit course on July 31st. At least this way, I get the full walkthrough, learn some stuff, drop old habits and acquire the full M almost guaranteed.

Taking a certified course will save you more on insurance than the cost of the course. Learning **** is a bonus.
Only valid once, you don’t get to double dip on the insurance break for a course.

Hello,

I have my M2 that I got 2 years. My insurance renewal comes up in the end of July. I was wondering if M license will knock down some amount from my rates.
Everything is booked up right now. I found a couple of spots for M test in the end of July/early August. Or I could sign up for a M course (this Sunday).

I am also thinking to get a new bike (300CC -> ~700-1000CC naked/cruiser).

I feel pretty confident riding so wondering if its worth it stressing over it right now to get a lower insurance rate.I I would prefer to avoid dropping $400 on a course. getting M and then not getting any insurance reduction.
You will almost certainly receive little to no benefit on your rates by upgrading to your full license. It may however factor into a future rate if you were to upgrade your bike in terms of CC.

If you already took a course for m1 exit you’ve received the only insurance breaks they are going to offer you.

The $400ish for m2 exit seems steep, but as someone previously said there are more benefits then simply saving a few bucks. A good instructor that cares about you and your riding habits is priceless, IMO.

You have time, no need to rush per say…but don’t sit on it too long or it will catch up to you.

Last edited:
Ahhhh......didn't realize op had previously been dipping.
I don’t know for sure but I assume they did, these days it’s pretty much a ‘gotcha’ situation. Most insurers want you to take the course before they will offer a reasonable rate. So a super small percentage of people with m2s did it through Drive Test and even if they did I bet they weren’t so happy calling around for insurance when they chose to ‘save’ a few bucks by skipping the course.

Sorry, didn't mention before. Yes, I took M2 course 2 years ago and I am glad I did. I thought it would be easy, just like riding a bike but damn I was mentally demolished (I thought that I will never learn operating this machine) during my first hour. Instructors were amazing, no pressure and lots of help. After 3 hours I could ride.

Sorry, didn't mention before. Yes, I took M2 course 2 years ago and I am glad I did. I thought it would be easy, just like riding a bike but damn I was mentally demolished (I thought that I will never learn operating this machine) during my first hour. Instructors were amazing, no pressure and lots of help. After 3 hours I could ride.
Haha Day 1 was a treat

You will almost certainly receive little to no benefit on your rates by upgrading to your full license. It may however factor into a future rate if you were to upgrade your bike in terms of CC.

If you already took a course for m1 exit you’ve received the only insurance breaks they are going to offer you.

The $400ish for m2 exit seems steep, but as someone previously said there are more benefits then simply saving a few bucks. A good instructor that cares about you and your riding habits is priceless, IMO.

You have time, no need to rush per say…but don’t sit on it too long or it will catch up to you.
400ish for a weekend of instruction is not bad. You learn almost as much watching the other riders and their instruction as you do from your own riding. Can lead to a rewarding weekend job too as you well know.

You mean they only consider folks who did the course through their institute to be an instructor?
I doubt it, you could probably get in from outside. Hanging out with the instructors and riding for the weekend puts you a long way in front of some random person that shows up for an interview though. On my m2 exit course, one student had their bike die when we were out riding in the community. Diagnosed loose ground, pulled the side cover off, fixed it and got them back on the road quickly. Got offered a job at the end of the course. Unfortunately, due to time constraints and distance from house to course, accepting was not a viable option at the time. Looks like it could have been fun if things had worked out.

400ish for a weekend of instruction is not bad. You learn almost as much watching the other riders and their instruction as you do from your own riding. Can lead to a rewarding weekend job too as you well know.
Its 1 day, maybe 8 hours if you`re the last to get tested (groups of 5 + instructor).

You mean they only consider folks who did the course through their institute to be an instructor?
i don't think that's a requirement, but you can make some good contacts to get your foot in the door.

Back
Top Bottom