Should I avoid? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I avoid?

To be honest don't be so hard on yourself. What Dizzer said previously is a great way to look at things though.
I fully understand where you are coming and i too believe you were quite polite and nice. He just never responded which would annoy me too. I also believe since you are new to bikes and were scared about what was wrong with it or had no prior knowledge of this bike that it was hard for you to take the plunge and waste 45 mins of your time (2 hours if you count back and forth driving). If the seller was eager to sell it he woudl have told you first come first serve, or like first with cash in hand gets it but he never told you this. He didn't even pick up your calls which is weird too.

However i think as you gain knowledge and experience with motorcycle you will know what is a good price and what is not and whether or not it is worth it to go drive out to see it. I would not go see a bike if i also didn't have all my questions asked either (although my questions are the general ones like how has it been maintained, and how often has oil been changed, condition, etc).

Thanks. I have no doubt it would have been a longer drive as 45 min was best case scenario.

I also took a suggestion from here and implemented it. In retrospect I should have just accepted the price at $1800. I knew it was priced to go as most other V-Stars are priced about $2500. I just assumed that potentially there was an issue with it.

And yes I have been kicking myself. Than you for acknowledging that.

I couldn't arrange a ride so I jumped a Greyhound with $5K in my pocket. Seller met me at the local Greyhound station with the bike, ....

Just curious.
Did you tell they guy that you were coming and to hold the bike for you?

I would hate to be half way and get a text from the seller that someone showed up with the cash and just picked it up.

anyways,
Good on you for putting in the effort.
I too have jumped into my car on a whim and traveled more than the typical person would for a good deal. . Sometimes not even for the "big ticket" items only.

Because I travel all over the GTA on a daily basis, when I look for things on Kijiji my search is usually opened to include all of Ontario.

To the OP.

I too would be kicking myself in the *** but don't sweat it too much.
If it wasn't meant to be than it wasn't. Maybe the bike did have some serious issues that would make the good deal a real bust down the road.

I am sure if you keep your eye out for it you will find another good deal soon enough.

Just curious.
Did you tell they guy that you were coming and to hold the bike for you?

I would hate to be half way and get a text from the seller that someone showed up with the cash and just picked it up.

anyways,
Good on you for putting in the effort.
I too have jumped into my car on a whim and traveled more than the typical person would for a good deal. . Sometimes not even for the "big ticket" items only.

Because I travel all over the GTA on a daily basis, when I look for things on Kijiji my search is usually opened to include all of Ontario.

To the OP.

I too would be kicking myself in the *** but don't sweat it too much.
If it wasn't meant to be than it wasn't. Maybe the bike did have some serious issues that would make the good deal a real bust down the road.

I am sure if you keep your eye out for it you will find another good deal soon enough.
Yes, I called him to discuss the bike and it's history. I told him I was on my way and he agreed to hold the bike till I got there, about 6 hours. I also agreed on the price with the condition that the bike was as described.

This isn't the first time I've done this. If I see something I want and the price is right I always move quickly. Last month I bought a little Honda 1kw genie off Kijiji for $100. The ad said 'It was my dads, hardly used, sitting for 5 years, compression good, I can't start it. Honda wants $200 for a carb and tuneup'. I called, agreed $100 was fair, I sent $20 by Interac as a deposit and we met at her office that evening to exchange the rest.

Got home, put in a splash of fresh gas and freed up a stuck petcock. I started and ran like a champ after 3 pulls. Changed the oil and air filter -- it's been running like a champ all winter.

Kijiji deals wait for the first person to arrange a fair price and convenient time for pickup. Don't show on time or dicker too much and you lose.

Thank you for the post.

I asked the questions I thought I was supposed to. Also thought I was being considerate. Getting further detail before wasting his time and becoming a "tire kicker".

Looked like a great deal and I lost out. Taking that lesson and will apply it next time.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I've not read to the end of this thread yet, so hope I'm not repeating someone else's comments.

First I'd like to say for you not to be down about this situation. There's always another deal around the corner. You might be glad you got the next one instead. You didn't even see it, so don't mourn the miss. You might not have even wanted it had you seen it. You will see others that get ya "all a flutter" I'm sure.

I once bought a used vehicle for a coupla thou less than average price. Found out fairly soon why they sold it to me so cheap. "All that glitters is not gold", as they say. Years later I bought another for vehicle a coupla thou less than average (but from a reputable dealer), & spent the next year or so wondering when I was going to find out why I got it so cheap. 9 almost trouble free years later I sold it still wondering.

Are you completely convinced that you want to ride ??. You don't seem really confident that you know enough about the bikes & making a deal. Perhaps not even really sure what you want. A good deal on a bike that you find out is not really yer thing is not really a good deal. Would be handy if you had a knowledgeable friend. Not someone that will push you towards something just 'cos they like it either.

I've bought & sold a fair number of bikes & other vehicles in my time, with various levels of success. I have discouraged people interested in what I am selling, if I don't think they understand what they are getting into.

2 years ago I bought a bike from a guy about 20 kilos North of Kingston. I live about 20 kilos West of Kitchener, so not really convenient.
I knew all about the model & price through much research 'cos I'd been considering this model for sometime. I knew it was a great deal. I messaged the guy & told him if the bike was as described I would go up with a bank draft for the exact amount. He'd been honest, so I was too. We did the deal & he threw in some extras. Perfect transaction. Usually never happens !!.

I've missed deals whilst doing research. I've saved myself grief by doing research too. Maybe you were too "gun shy", or perhaps you were just doing due diligence like you should. Take your time. If your first venture into the bike scene leaves a bad taste in yer mouth, you may not want to try again. Then you will have missed out on sumthin that can be pure magic when it all comes together.

It's never a bad deal until your money is gone & you find out that you got ripped !!. You've lost nothin yet.

I've not read to the end of this thread yet, so hope I'm not repeating someone else's comments.

First I'd like to say for you not to be down about this situation. There's always another deal around the corner. You might be glad you got the next one instead. You didn't even see it, so don't mourn the miss. You might not have even wanted it had you seen it. You will see others that get ya "all a flutter" I'm sure.

I once bought a used vehicle for a coupla thou less than average price. Found out fairly soon why they sold it to me so cheap. "All that glitters is not gold", as they say. Years later I bought another for vehicle a coupla thou less than average (but from a reputable dealer), & spent the next year or so wondering when I was going to find out why I got it so cheap. 9 almost trouble free years later I sold it still wondering.

Are you completely convinced that you want to ride ??. You don't seem really confident that you know enough about the bikes & making a deal. Perhaps not even really sure what you want. A good deal on a bike that you find out is not really yer thing is not really a good deal. Would be handy if you had a knowledgeable friend. Not someone that will push you towards something just 'cos they like it either.

I've bought & sold a fair number of bikes & other vehicles in my time, with various levels of success. I have discouraged people interested in what I am selling, if I don't think they understand what they are getting into.

2 years ago I bought a bike from a guy about 20 kilos North of Kingston. I live about 20 kilos West of Kitchener, so not really convenient.
I knew all about the model & price through much research 'cos I'd been considering this model for sometime. I knew it was a great deal. I messaged the guy & told him if the bike was as described I would go up with a bank draft for the exact amount. He'd been honest, so I was too. We did the deal & he threw in some extras. Perfect transaction. Usually never happens !!.

I've missed deals whilst doing research. I've saved myself grief by doing research too. Maybe you were too "gun shy", or perhaps you were just doing due diligence like you should. Take your time. If your first venture into the bike scene leaves a bad taste in yer mouth, you may not want to try again. Then you will have missed out on sumthin that can be pure magic when it all comes together.

It's never a bad deal until your money is gone & you find out that you got ripped !!. You've lost nothin yet.

Thank you for your post.

I did indeed kick myself however I'm not losing any sleep over it. Like you said will no doubt be another deal. Someone highly motivated. And may even be a better transaction (seller, price location whatever).

I have looked into V Star and sat on a few. No never ridden but would like to have something to hop on right after completing the M2 which is scheduled for April with RTI.

I've got my ear to the rail by frequenting the listings. I've got a sometime to see what comes along.

I'm going hunting
I'm the hunter
I'll bring back the goods
But I don't know when

BJÖRK, "Hunter", Homogenic

I'd cut him some slack. It's his first bike.

Yah... I know. Was not being judgemental. Just making sure. There were indications to me that this was a fairly new venture for this guy. Sometimes things go easy. Sometimes the process is fraught with disappointment & frustration. No point in going through it only to realize it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now not so much.
It's also good to know if you are at the point of being able to pick the right bike for you, & recognize a deal B4 coming to grief.

I was not being critical, just trying to make sure the guy didn't commit too anything too soon. Sorry if it appeared any other way.

Yah... I know. Was not being judgemental. Just making sure. There were indications to me that this was a fairly new venture for this guy. Sometimes things go easy. Sometimes the process is fraught with disappointment & frustration. No point in going through it only to realize it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now not so much.
It's also good to know if you are at the point of being able to pick the right bike for you, & recognize a deal B4 coming to grief.

I was not being critical, just trying to make sure the guy didn't commit too anything too soon. Sorry if it appeared any other way.

Didn't feel judged. Thank you for taking the time for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom