Shops that can cut motorcycle windshields | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shops that can cut motorcycle windshields

soto

Hello, is anyone aware of any shops that can cut down motorcycle polycarbonate windshields? Preferably in Newmarket area. I've called a few auto windshield stores and they don't this.

For reference, it is an OEM Suzuki C50T windshield that I'd like to take 6" off the top.

I think there was a thread on here within the last three years about somebody DIY'ing this

A similar thread happened this summer. A kind Gtamer made the cut. Cutting plastic isn't hard. Hacksaw, sand, torch if you want a clear edge. Glass companies (especially autoglass) aren't really equipped to do it but I am sure they have competent staff that could if they wanted.

Hello, is anyone aware of any shops that can cut down motorcycle polycarbonate windshields? Preferably in Newmarket area. I've called a few auto windshield stores and they don't this.

For reference, it is an OEM Suzuki C50T windshield that I'd like to take 6" off the top.
Draw your line. Cut with a dremel cut off disk away from the line. Sand to the line with sandpaper on a block. Polish the edge with plastic polish if desired.

Take your time. If you want to practice, just cut 2" off to start.

A similar thread happened this summer. A kind Gtamer made the cut. Cutting plastic isn't hard. Hacksaw, sand, torch if you want a clear edge. Glass companies (especially autoglass) aren't really equipped to do it but I am sure they have competent staff that could if they wanted.
I had a fellow GTAMer do one for me, As good as any factory windscreen.

I won’t give the name of the member but if they say they will do another. You will not be disappointed

It’s really a DIY project. Remove the windshield, clean it well with soap and water. Mark the cut line with masking tape, you want the cut on the top edge of the tape. Cut using a hack saw blade or jig saw with a fine blade. Sand the cut edge with 80, then 120 grit to get the OE finish.

I did one years ago on a 1000cc Connie.
I started to do one for my Tiger, but the plastic I bought was much thinner, yet more expensive in Ottawa, so I ended up purchasing one.
The hard part would be to heat it up to curve it.

I did one years ago on a 1000cc Connie.
I started to do one for my Tiger, but the plastic I bought was much thinner, yet more expensive in Ottawa, so I ended up purchasing one.
The hard part would be to heat it up to curve it.
Plexi is easy to mold, making the mold is the hardest part. Of you're just copying an existing screen, $5 bag of concrete and the old screen is all you need as a form. A hot air gun can be used to shape the plastic.

Polycarbonate is easy to cut, if you are sure that is what it is. I use a jigsaw with a fine blade and masking tape for protection from scratches. Clean up the edge afterwards. Take your time.

You can always buy a couple of small pieces to practice on first, they sell it at big box stores.

The one I did for ToSlow turned out to be acrylic. Acrylic has a tougher surface and polishes better than polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is almost impossible to break because it is softer. In a way it almost handles like a soft springy metal as you can cold bend it. The plain surface poly can show swirl marks from just wiping it with your hand so they often laminate Mylar to the surface for toughness.

We cut ToSlow's with a variable speed jigsaw after marking the line with masking tape. The edge was fine tuned with a belt sander and a quick buff on a wheel with red compound. A big roll of wide masking tape to protect the whole thing while being worked is cheap insurance.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

@nobbie48 thanks for your response, I did not notice it until just now or I would have definitely followed up with you.

I ended up finding a shop in Hamilton that does this kind of work, P&A Plastics. I just got the windshield back and the work looks flawless. Will take it for a ride later tonight, hopefully the height and shape work well so I won't have to do further modifications.

What did that cost you at the shop?

Back
Top Bottom