Shopping for a womens bicycle! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shopping for a womens bicycle!

crankcall

Site Supporter
No I am not transissoning ,
here are the parameters, wife is not an athelete, does not go up hills. Looking at a round town ride, easy peddling and not a piece of crap, under $1000.

She has a Specialized aluminum 7 spd town bike , it was $299US and it peddles like a slug. It will be sold off.

She rides my Specialized mtn bike 'rock hopper' and she peddles along no problem, I ride her bike and its a slug.

Thoughts and recommendations?? I'd entertain used if it works well. Shes 5'10" , 35" inseam.

If you arent going in the dirt often, I like 28mm road tires on a hardtail 29er as a city bike. A lot tougher and more comfortable than a road bike and the extra tire volume really helps. Not quite as stiff or fast, but normally you dont care about max speed. The modern equivalent is probably a gravel bike if she wants drop handlebars. Not sure if you can find a gravel bike for under 1K though.

a 700c (wheelsize) upright flat bar might be a good option. something like a 28mm or 32mm tire width is a good balance between rolling resistance + bump compliance. Don't get a gravel / MTB unless you actually plan on taking it to real trails - any city bike will handle gravel trails fine.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/ca/alight-2-disc
FX 3 Disc | Trek Bikes (CA)

my suggestion is usually to go for a 2 x 9 or 2 x 10 drivetrain. most of the 3 x 9 groupsets are cheap / PITA to tune properly and 90% of people don't know how to efficiency shift them.

Last edited:
My wife went from a Specialized Hard Rock Ultra to a GIANT Cypress Women’s bicycle and she loves it. She’s about 5’8” to 5’9”

Upright riding position, comfortable seat and lots of adjustment in the bars.

It’s easy pedalling on roads and the trails.

862624c625e934563b5d958a1098ff8a.jpg

3cd2d028a5893395f4b014ada9928f79.jpg

4190b0e56f91085158d3ad721fa0e774.jpg

We bought it from Gears (Mississauga Road at Lakeshore).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check to see if her current bike just needs service. Make sure the wheels spin free and the bottom bracket also spins free. Sometimes they are a slug because bearings need service...

At the price point there are a lot of 700c hybrids that should fit the bill. There are also some deals out there as inventory is just sitting at the moment.

No I am not transissoning ,
here are the parameters, wife is not an athelete, does not go up hills. Looking at a round town ride, easy peddling and not a piece of crap, under $1000.

She has a Specialized aluminum 7 spd town bike , it was $299US and it peddles like a slug. It will be sold off.

She rides my Specialized mtn bike 'rock hopper' and she peddles along no problem, I ride her bike and its a slug.

Thoughts and recommendations?? I'd entertain used if it works well. Shes 5'10" , 35" inseam.

Would you mind posting a pick of the wife’s bike?

I have a feeling it just needs a tune up. I had a Specialized Rockhopper that was entry level and small frame. With some minor updates, it was a great bike until my kids outgrew it.

My wife has a Specialized Hardrock mtb and she loves it. The frame isn’t a woman’s but, she doesn’t care since it rides nice, glides well even with the stock 2.10” resolution tires which are a little more trail bias than street.

But at the end of the day, if she doesn’t like the bike, you find one she does and then ride it more so, changing it up is probably best.

Definitely tons of ladies bikes under a grand that should do the trick.

Personally, I’d just peruse Kijiji and find something appealing that is probably in the $300 and under range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't say what type of bike. MTB under a grand this Gunnar is nice.

That gunnar is nice, type of bike for her doenst really matter its a ride for fun, flat trail bike.

I'll look at the bottom bracket , hubs and gears on hers, its 5 yrs old but literally has under 25kms on it. Maybe the grease has dried out and is now glue? I've heard it can happen. I'll post a picture later, Maybe saving it is worth it.

Gears Oakville has a nice aluminum Cannondale speed7 urban bike for $650 that looks ok.

Thanks for your advice folks.

That gunnar is nice, type of bike for her doenst really matter its a ride for fun, flat trail bike.

I'll look at the bottom bracket , hubs and gears on hers, its 5 yrs old but literally has under 25kms on it. Maybe the grease has dried out and is now glue? I've heard it can happen. I'll post a picture later, Maybe saving it is worth it.

Gears Oakville has a nice aluminum Cannondale speed7 urban bike for $650 that looks ok.

Thanks for your advice folks.
I pulled the rear hub apart on a kids bike yesterday. Not sure what that used for grease but it had turned into tar. Prior to rebuild the wheel would only spin one revolution when you spun it in the air. The kid didn't have enough power to fight through the drag. I've never had coaster brakes apart. Interesting system and not what I expected, not sure if someone was in there before me (doubt it but I expected either one more brake shoe or something to keep them opposed).

I pulled the rear hub apart on a kids bike yesterday. Not sure what that used for grease but it had turned into tar. Prior to rebuild the wheel would only spin one revolution when you spun it in the air. The kid didn't have enough power to fight through the drag. I've never had coaster brakes apart. Interesting system and not what I expected, not sure if someone was in there before me (doubt it but I expected either one more brake shoe or something to keep them opposed).

Back in the 70s a bunch of people in Marin would hold a race down the access road of Mt. Tam on old modified klunker bikes with coaster brakes. They called the it the Repack, because you would burn off all the grease in your hub and have to repack it after every run.

8cbf56db6a4ff94345eca8377fb525e9.jpg

The Gunnar being a 26er is way over priced IMO. Yes it is a nice bike with very nice kit, but most people looking at dropping a grand on a used mountain bike will want a 27.5 or 29er with modern geometry. I have been watching the market quite a lot, that is a $500 to $600 bike all day long.

My mountain bike is a similarly equipped 26er (Bianchi Tycoon--Reparto Corse--Mavic, Magura, XT/XTR etc, etc.), I am still very happy but it is considered "obsolete" or is it "retro"? The sum of the parts > the value of the total package....

Last edited:
The Gunnar being a 26er is way over priced IMO.

Ya, no one can ride 26" wheeled bikes any more. :rolleyes:

Sum of the parts. Gunnar frames are hand built for Gunnar (Shogrun) at Waterford Precision Cycles (Paramount) in WI. Go online and price used Paramount/Waterford frames. As Rumpy would say "you want one Porsche or 3 Hyundais?". Hand built steel frame King headset, Thompson, 3T, Mavic. Discount -10ish% and at $825-850 that's a solid ride.

There's a market for high end retro MTB stuff you have no idea about. I listed this fork on a retro MTB site for $850 USD. Within a half an hour I had a deal in place and PMs from a half a dozen guys waiting for the first guy to back out. Going rate for WTB roller cam brakes (if you can find any for sale) is $750 USD. Not a pair. Each brake.

49829950981_9df6715e53_b.jpg

Ya, no one can ride 26" wheeled bikes any more. :rolleyes:

Sum of the parts. Gunnar frames are hand built for Gunnar (Shogrun) at Waterford Precision Cycles (Paramount) in WI. Go online and price used Paramount/Waterford frames. As Rumpy would say "you want one Porsche or 3 Hyundais?". Hand built steel frame King headset, Thompson, 3T, Mavic. Discount -10ish% and at $825-850 that's a solid ride.

There's a market for high end retro MTB stuff you have no idea about. I listed this fork on a retro MTB site for $850 USD. Within a half an hour I had a deal in place and PMs from a half a dozen guys waiting for the first guy to back out. Going rate for WTB roller cam brakes (if you can find any for sale) is $750 USD. Not a pair. Each brake.

49829950981_9df6715e53_b.jpg

Nothing wrong with 26ers IMO but many newish riders just poopoo them these days as old and outdated. As I said the sum of the parts is greater than the entire package... there are still many people (like me) keeping their 26ers going and high end parts are still in demand. I just don't see him getting that price as a package, it will be interesting to see how long it lasts to get an idea. Parting it out, they would likely get even more.

And modern Hyundai may very well be faster than a decades old Porsche... Not as cool, but technology advances.

Last edited:
Last edited:
@FullMotoJacket, yes the Quick7 , I'm thinking for $599, they have one left in tall , that should do the job for the missus. What do you think of that spec for a bike that will see under 300kms a year on flat mostly paved road.

as @GreyGhost has suggested I started breaking down the Specialized she already has , which as predicted is just full of dried grease, which is now tacky not slippy. But I think I'll get her a new bike anyway, she deserves it (puts up with me)

@FullMotoJacket, yes the Quick7 , I'm thinking for $599, they have one left in tall , that should do the job for the missus. What do you think of that spec for a bike that will see under 300kms a year on flat mostly paved road.

It will be more than fine for the use you describe. Name brand, new, warranty, and service package. Can't go wrong for the price.

Back
Top Bottom