Shop that works with modified bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shop that works with modified bikes?

monkeyfarm

Site Supporter
I have a buddy that has a '83 Honda Magna 750 that's been turned into a café racer by the previous owner. It looked and ran fine until juvenile stupidity ensued, he said he'd like to do things properly going forward and needs someone to take a look at the damage. Suspect radiator leak because the shroud is in pieces, and maybe an oil leak, but unsure. Starts and runs fine, can shifts fine, breaks fine. The handlebar was replaced with clip-ons and they're pointing in all sorts of directions so it must have taken quite a fall, I wasn't there for it.

I'm wondering if any of you folks know of a shop that deals with chopped bikes. Twin Seasons in Georgetown won't take it, for obvious reasons, which I fully respect. Getting the same story at the other few places I've called (Snow City, Cyclewerx, Rosey Toes). Unsure of where he could go, I'm happy with Twin Seasons so I haven't had to look elsewhere myself...

Aftermarket hackery is one thing, but also, it's simply an old bike, and may be hard to get parts for. At a certain point you have to get to know your own bike.
Right on all counts. I feel like he was just hoping to throw money at it and be off riding. More likely it's him being new to motorcycles and lacking the confidence to wrench on it.

I do not have that kind of money so I found a shop manual for mine. Jesus... Take the wheel.

391.jpg

What @Brian P said, plus that Magna V4 motor puts out quite a bit more juice than your usual CB400 cafe racer home job, and so will test backyard welds, wacky steering geometry, crap suspension, etc. to the limit. Cool motor, and probably a cool bike, but he should tread carefully.

Was it safetied or did buddy buy it 'as is' ?
Bought it as-is, ended up taking it to Rosy Toes at someone's recommendation. They replaced J-B weld for actual welds, replaced tyres, and safetied the bike (this one's questionable, I think it was more of a pay for "safety inspection").

Bought it as-is, ended up taking it to Rosy Toes at someone's recommendation. They replaced J-B weld for actual welds, replaced tyres, and safetied the bike (this one's questionable, I think it was more of a pay for "safety inspection").
The whole deal sounds sketchy.
If he has to start paying someone real money to fix the atrocities this could get very expensive very quickly.
And he'll still be left with a 38 year old P.O.S.

If they started doing actual welding on it, I think that counts as more than a paper safety

The whole deal sounds sketchy.
If he has to start paying someone real money to fix the atrocities this could get very expensive very quickly.
And he'll still be left with a 38 year old P.O.S
I met with him this evening so we could start making a list of the damage. Here are a few more details, it ends up being a bit sketchier.

Bike was bought as-is, he said he test-drove around the previous owner's driveway. Entire transaction took place through Facebook marketplace and he says he can't find the listing chat log or the guy he messaged. Bought on impulse and wasn't sure what he was going to do next. Didn't have have any level of M license at the time.

He said he found a guy out in Caledon who would do his safety locally and that this gentleman worked with Rosy Toes (not sure on the arrangement). Said he would do his safety inspection locally and buddy could pick up the paper from Rosy Toes after. It was this same gentleman that did the work on fixing the bike up so it could be safetied. Buddy says he can't get ahold of him now. Work was good, from what I remember. Bike seemed to run great the last time I saw it before the crash. Thought he'd drive it down the road when he got it back home (trailered over) but he got nervous at a T intersection, ran wide, and dumped it onto the gravel shoulder. Found bits of gravel while working on it.

After digging into it tonight I found some oddities.
Speedo is an aftermarket replacement, brand called Dragon Gauge, looks decent, but it reports only 1100 kilometers. It's not the trip counter, I found a manual for the gauge on a AliExpress listing and cycled through the modes. Original milage is unknown it would seem. Radiator is OEM and has a thermal switch, but the fan does not kick in unless you hit a hidden toggle switch that seems to be wired directly into the battery (stays on with the bike off and keys pulled), also leaks when hot. Handlebar mounts seem to have been chopped and ground off (I'll grab a picture next time) and replaced with clip-ons, I couldn't adjust them to an angle that felt right. Definitely could not lock steering in either direction without them looking wonky, or hitting your knees. Seemed to be burning oil and I thought it was a leak but when I called Twin Seasons, they thought it might be just some oil that made it up towards the air box, when it hit the ground. Idles ok but dies as soon as you let out the clutch, as soon as it starts to engage even a little. If you give it a bit of throttle, it will power through, odd for 750cc. Chain and gears seem ok, alignment is ok.

At this point, I'm just amazed... confused... a bunch of things. A little sad too, this little thing wants to run but it's been beaten up quite a bit. There's a life lesson here, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Says they are builders but no harm calling to see if they repair as well

What am I missing? It has a rad leak and needs a tune up - pretty straight forward I would think. Maybe a new set of clip ons?

maxresdefault.jpg

I picture would be handy, wouldn't it ?
I'll grab a few pictures this weekend and post them here.

don't waste your money. put it up for sale and snap up the first cash offer. if you want a project, start with something DECENT and RUNNING PROPERLY, then start throwing money around !
Yeah, based on the responses to this thread, that does sound prudent. I know he likes the look of it but there are ergonomic issues as well, bike feels small, whatever the previous owner did to it (I'm 5'10", buddy's taller). Up to him at the end of the day.

What am I missing? It has a rad leak and needs a tune up - pretty straight forward I would think. Maybe a new set of clip ons?
I found a shop manual last night and after reading through it over breakfast, I think I can figure most of it out. I need to figure out the stalling issue first. I don't have experience with carbs (outside of lawn mowers) so that's part of the reason I was hoping I could find a shop.

Beware of the doom and gloom attitude here for older bikes. I don't believe it's warrantted. For many it's just fear of the unknown since they havn't spent time tinkering with older toys.

Yeah, based on the responses to this thread, that does sound prudent. I know he likes the look of it but there are ergonomic issues as well, bike feels small, whatever the previous owner did to it (I'm 5'10", buddy's taller). Up to him at the end of the day.
Original Magna had that Japacruiser layout, with low seat, mid pegs and sit-up-and-beg high bars. If the seat part of the triangle stays fixed and the high bars are replaced by clip-ons, almost anywhere you put the pegs will feel cramped. It's definiely not an obvious candidate for a cafe racer conversion, that's for sure. Could be cool if done right, though, as that V4 was well regarded.

Beware of the doom and gloom attitude here for older bikes. I don't believe it's warrantted. For many it's just fear of the unknown since they havn't spent time tinkering with older toys.
I think the concern is as much about mysterious fabrication and modification work combined with an older machine, rather than the simple age of the bike. The age plays into whether fixing it is piling good money after bad, though.

(Also, not sure @TK4 needs to prove his 'older toys' credentials! Where's that "cry laughing" emoji?)

Original Magna had that Japacruiser layout, with low seat, mid pegs and sit-up-and-beg high bars. If the seat part of the triangle stays fixed and the high bars are replaced by clip-ons, almost anywhere you put the pegs will feel cramped. It's definiely not an obvious candidate for a cafe racer conversion, that's for sure. Could be cool if done right, though, as that V4 was well regarded.
Wondering aloud if the Magna and the Sabre had different frames or not

Back
Top Bottom