Shannonville lap times | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shannonville lap times

dricked

Site Supporter
So what's a decent lap time for full track? I've only been able to find track records and was just curious how slow I was going.

Post your times (not you recip!), then those of us who are faster can brag about it and those of us who are slower can remain quiet.

Novice racers hope to get down to 2 minutes flat maybe high 1.50`s ( 1.58 1.59). I think for a track day person anything under 2:10 is pretty decent. But its all about riding at your own pace and slowly improving. Thats the safer option

Don't you have some Screetch to drink in your trailer podium pete?

Nice ride on the weekend ya old trout.

Ok awsome, I was trying to get under 2 but just couldn't quite get there, by 3 seconds...

Ok awsome, I was trying to get under 2 but just couldn't quite get there, by 3 seconds...

I'm trying to do the same thing. I managed a 2:01.9 on my SV last year. I was there last month but it was so packed that I was working on passing more than lap times. haha...

I usually lap between 1:58 and 2:00 but will whick it up if challenged. :) I personally like to work on lines, braking points etc. when I'm out on the track and just going as quickly as I can all the time doesn't get me results (I've found).

So what's a decent lap time for full track? I've only been able to find track records and was just curious how slow I was going.

That would depend on your definition of "decent", wouldn't it?

Mylaps has this listed from last September:

Novice 600:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1676517

Am 600:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1676518

Pro Superbike:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1676529

I'm assuming you're still in intermediate, maybe try going into an advance session 'cause riding the tail of a faster rider is often a way to get those times down. Just make sure you first ask them to show you some faster lines before you go out for your session (ask me how I know!)

Good luck and have fun

I was still in novice. It's only my second time at shannonville and 4th trackday. After I get passed I try and stay with the guy to see where he's going and hopefully stay on long enough to see what line he took where I got passed. Decent to me is a good time by anyone, like to know where I stand and if my expectations of myself are reasonable (break 2min).

You're doing 2:03's in novice group?? Wow, nice work! That's not novice kind of speed. I'm riding in advanced doing those kinds of times and passing people (but advanced group isn't only about speed). You should definitely step up to intermediate.

I would have gone in the advanced group that day (only 2 groups) but I brought my buddy who had never been so I wanted to be able to be off the track with him incase I could help him with somthing. I will be going up on my next track days to find some guys that I can follow and pick some brains for info.

Thanks for the replies too, should have bought a bigger helmet though lol.

Last edited:
Any organizer should move you to a faster group if your speed is too different than the others. This just helps keep everyone safe(r). I agree with what was posted earlier, for a novice track day, under 2:10 is good especially if you are so new. At 2:03s, you'll be nipping at the heels of the advanced category riders for most track days. IMO, a "decent" pace would be anything at the sharp end of intermediate, or advanced. But that's based on my perspective. I'm sure some of the racers on the site would be disgusted with themselves if they ran in the high 1:50s.

Any organizer should move you to a faster group if your speed is too different than the others. This just helps keep everyone safe(r). I agree with what was posted earlier, for a novice track day, under 2:10 is good especially if you are so new. At 2:03s, you'll be nipping at the heels of the advanced category riders for most track days. IMO, a "decent" pace would be anything at the sharp end of intermediate, or advanced. But that's based on my perspective. I'm sure some of the racers on the site would be disgusted with themselves if they ran in the high 1:50s.

The pace of certain groups can vary quite a bit from one trackday to another. Sometimes I'll be in the advanced group and have a lot of good riders to play with, other times i feel like im picking my way through a traffic jam. In my experience I've found that Racer5 trackdays usually have a pretty fast advanced group. I know there are some Pro6 Calabogie regulars that are turning lap times that would be respectable in an AM Superbike race as well.

Intermediate is the least consistent group IMO, I only ever did one trackday in intermediate and that was at Shannonville. That day was ok for me but just from spectating over the years I've seen intermediate groups with a huge spread in lap times. The term "gaggle****" comes to mind.

I wasn't faster than everyone by a large margin, there was only 2 groups and I made sure if the rider looked uncomfortable the passes were more than safe and if he appeared to be a seasoned rider the passes were still safe but more aggressive. There were no rules where to pass so I just used common sense. Those were my times with traffic so I may hae been able to get a little lower but I'll be in the intermidiate group next time.

It just said SMP on the trackday site. No signs around so I don't know who it would have been. The riders meeting consisted of a run down on the flags and don't be an idiot. Passing wasn't limited to straights but we were told to keep it safe or you would be black flagged.

I've only done one SMP hosted track day (I think Chris, the head of RACE does those), don't recall what was said that time... I remember it was a great day though.

Back
Top Bottom