SF question | GTAMotorcycle.com

SF question

deejizzle

so ive been doing an excessive amount of research as to all aspects of my bike. been reading a couple of threads here on the insurance part of the forum.

everyone keeps talking about SF and how good they are for SS if you under 25. but my question is how good is SF compared to jevco (the prefered company for NON-ss under 25) for me? im soon to have my 5 years of g experience, and although i wont have my full year of m1/m2 by that time i hope to be insured by that time with SF if it makes sense.

im not exactly asking for a monetary guess as to my policy, but rather an opinion or guess as to who is better.

EDIT: i should probably add some really quick details

G/m1 (soon to be m2)
no convictions whatsoever
no claims

probably a ninja 250-500

Last edited:
You just got your license, so it will be close between SF and Jevco. Next year, Jevco will likely be cheaper than State Farm because of your one year of experience.

It will take you 10 minutes to call a Jevco broker and a State Farm agent for quotes. There are lots of good brokers/agents listed in the sticky.

Thanks viffer! i can always count on you for insurance advice.

I think im going to go with SF only because i plan on having an SS later down the road, and they also allow for 12 monthly payments instead of jevco's 4 month or 1 payment kind of deal. thanks! does anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks viffer! i can always count on you for insurance advice.

I think im going to go with SF only because i plan on having an SS later down the road, and they also allow for 12 monthly payments instead of jevco's 4 month or 1 payment kind of deal. thanks! does anyone else have an opinion?

The 12 monthly payments is definitely something to consider, but if you are going for the absolute cheapest premium, it's best to quote around. I wouldn't be concerned about buying a SS in the future . . . if you do, then you can consider switching your insurance at that time. Switching insurers isn't a big deal.

I hve a question for viffer and its related to SF so i thought this will be the best place.

I got a cheapest quote from SF for a 2011 250 cc bike($5500 purchase price) but I bought different model 2009 for $3000 when I called to get a quote for 2009 they came up with the same premium.....its little surprising cuz i though part of your premium is based on total amount they hve to pay if bike is total loss......the lady told me that their rates are based on cc and it does'nt matter the purchase price unless its significant....can you put some light on this issue

I hve a question for viffer and its related to SF so i thought this will be the best place.

I got a cheapest quote from SF for a 2011 250 cc bike($5500 purchase price) but I bought different model 2009 for $3000 when I called to get a quote for 2009 they came up with the same premium.....its little surprising cuz i though part of your premium is based on total amount they hve to pay if bike is total loss......the lady told me that their rates are based on cc and it does'nt matter the purchase price unless its significant....can you put some light on this issue

I don't work for State Farm, but I can take a guess. State Farm rates by CC and by CLEAR vehicle rate groups for rating motorcycles. You can read about CLEAR in my post here:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...r-compare&highlight=CLEAR+Vehicle+Rate+Groups

I looked up the CLEAR rate groups for the 2011 and 2009 Ninja 250, and the rate groups are the same. Since the rate groups are the same and the CC is the same, then the premium is the same.

Looking at the motorcycle CLEAR tables, it appears that there are significant differences when comparing one bike model to another, but there are very minor differences when comparing bikes of different years within the same model. This is likely due to insufficient data to differentiate the model years of motorcycle. There is more model year differentiation for auto insurance because there is a lot more data to use.

thanks a lot viffer....I know you are the right person to look for any insurance related help and that is why I threw this question in your direction.......I still do not understand when the insurance company's risk exposure reduced to almost half (from $5500 to $3000) in case of total loss, the premium still stayed same......I hve an impression that total risk exposure is also as important as cc and clear rate.....

thanks a lot viffer....I know you are the right person to look for any insurance related help and that is why I threw this question in your direction.......I still do not understand when the insurance company's risk exposure reduced to almost half (from $5500 to $3000) in case of total loss, the premium still stayed same......I hve an impression that total risk exposure is also as important as cc and clear rate.....

The risk exposure isn't even close to being cut in half. Over 80% of the premium of most motorcycle policies is for Accident Benefits and Liability, and payouts under these coverages has absolutely nothing to do with the value of your vehicle. The $2500 difference in the value of the two vehicles in the event of a total loss is pretty much peanuts to the insurer (and the cost of repairing both vehicles when not a total loss is probably quite similar).

I was insured with SF and Jevco and Jevco rates for non-SS bikes were slightly better for small displacement bikes and much better for big CCs.
SF is pretty much only recommended for SS riders and newbies as they will insure with M1 no problem if you had some driving experience (5 years preferably).

Back
Top Bottom