Service Ontario Service Interuption........ | GTAMotorcycle.com

Service Ontario Service Interuption........

PaisaMed

Service Ontario has stated that registration stickers and drivers licence renewals are on hold until further notice. If you have to renew in the near future and don't, I'm hoping the police will use discretion if faced with the decision as to issue a ticket. What happens with the insurance coverage while you are "riding dirty"? What happens if you have an accident?

There's nothing "dirty" about it....expiry dates for licences and stickers are just null and void at this point.

Insurance still required as normal.

Police won't ticket for expired stickers or licences because there's no other option. They're aware of the issue.

My new bike is still on a temp and my wifes bike expired back in November of last year on her birthday. At this point both are entirely legal to ride as both are still properly insured, stickers aside.

There's nothing "dirty" about it....expiry dates for licences and stickers are just null and void at this point.

Insurance still required as normal.

Police won't ticket for expired stickers or licences because there's no other option. They're aware of the issue.

My new bike is still on a temp and my wifes bike expired back in November of last year on her birthday. At this point both are entirely legal to ride as both are still properly insured, stickers aside.

Would you be given leniency for a sticker that expired well before they announced it? On a motorcycle perhaps, you could always plead that you were waiting for the season and hope for understanding. Cars probably not so much. There must be a limit on it.

I'm wondering about the guy who bought my bike He's picking it up from me this weekend, don't know if he will be able to plate it for a while.

Would you be given leniency for a sticker that expired well before they announced it? On a motorcycle perhaps, you could always plead that you were waiting for the season and hope for understanding. Cars probably not so much. There must be a limit on it.

Doubt it. Lots of people who have stickers on their MC's that expire in the late fall/early winter don't buy the replacement until spring.

You can't buy them right now, therefore the number of weeks/months since expiry is moot. No cop in his right mind would ticket this right now, and even if they did, it would get thrown out almost immediately with just a quick visit to the courthouse to even just file the intention to appear.

I'm wondering about the guy who bought my bike He's picking it up from me this weekend, don't know if he will be able to plate it for a while.

That's a different situation, and potentially an unfortunate one. At least I was lucky enough to get my bike switched into my name and my old pate attached before things shut down. It's still on the temp sticker but otherwise all legal.....so I'm golden.

That's a different situation, and potentially an unfortunate one. At least I was lucky enough to get my bike switched into my name and my old pate attached before things shut down. It's still on the temp sticker but otherwise all legal.....so I'm golden.

I haven't heard they shut down? They suspended certain services, but they're not totally shut down......yet.

I haven't heard they shut down? They suspended certain services, but they're not totally shut down......yet.
My neighbour runs a service ontario. Their location has stopped serving the public due to their deplorable behaviour (obviously sick and/or people that just returned from vacation were a high percentage of the drop ins) and was only processing dealer orders. The margins are razor thin at the best of times. With the much lower volume, they wont be able to stay open unless dougie props them up. They are like most businesses right now with almost no income and lots of expenses.

I think some locations are still opened. Reduced service and hours.

I would find out which one is and their operating hours.

Plan on being there as their first or second customer of the day.

My neighbor wants to get his M1.
I told him to drive out to an out of town test centre to avoid waiting in a huge lines of the immediate GTA locations.
In this case Brantford. I would rather drive 40 min each way (driving from Milton) and wait a shorter amount of time and exposure to less people than drive 25 min and wait 2 hours in line.

Test centres are open for the time being, but I doubt much longer. The examiners are saying WTF, I have to get into a car with some virus spreader ?

Test centres are open for the time being, but I doubt much longer. The examiners are saying WTF, I have to get into a car with some virus spreader ?
Lol hence they should do motorcycle test only, don't have to jump in another car as the person being tested

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Really hoping I can reach a broker in the near future

yes

Service Ontario has stated that registration stickers and drivers licence renewals are on hold until further notice. If you have to renew in the near future and don't, I'm hoping the police will use discretion if faced with the decision as to issue a ticket. What happens with the insurance coverage while you are "riding dirty"? What happens if you have an accident?

An expired sticker will not void an insurance policy... same as it wouldn't before all this corona virus stuff.

Cops don't want to have contact with people if they don't have to.. same as most.
I would expect they will be mandated to keep contacts to a minimum, only respond too emergencies.. if they haven't already.

Have you tried TD?

Below is a quote of $703 annually with 5 000 kms driven.

If I select 1 000 Kms driven it goes down to approx $570 annually.

I will be going to TD for this year.

1584801324357.png

Last edited:
.....are you only riding 1000km/year?

Don't give them a reason to retroactively cancel your policy for misrepresentation should you actually need the policy just to save a few hundred bucks a year.

To be honest.... I am not sure how much I will ride.

It is easy to say. “ You ought to ride more than 1000kms”.
But I am unsure given my situation.

Like I said in my other thread.
I am not trying to scam the system. Just asking about the legalities.

If we just wanted to play it safe we would be reporting 100 000kms, cause you never know. I just may never get off that bike.

.....are you only riding 1000km/year?

Don't give them a reason to retroactively cancel your policy for misrepresentation should you actually need the policy just to save a few hundred bucks a year.
When you give mileage to service ontario for sticker renewal, make sure it doesn't exceed what you told the insurance company. Documenting non-compliance never works well. On the flip side, if you are insured for 5,000 km but only rode 2,000 because it was a crap year but you have a bunch of vacation coming up next year, nobody is checking if you tell service ontario a slightly high number to average your mileage over multiple years. Obviously ethically questionable and the insurance company wouldn't like it, but catching it on a vehicle that you do the maintenance on would be exceedingly hard.

Back
Top Bottom