Semi retired lifestyles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Semi retired lifestyles

Maybe not, but it's certainly not out of reach for a young person who plans their career. Without thinking to hard, here are a few professions my kid's friends are in -- are those kids are in the 100K club:

Nursing, policing, software coding, solution sales, teacher, dental hygienist, electrician, crane operator, heavy equipment technician (I love this one -- the kid supervises onsite building of cranes, his title is Erection Master), real estate sales, mortgage broker.

It's really not that hard - pick a profession that pays well then get educated to do the work.

curious, do all your kids live in the sticks or some of them live in the GTA?
Also where do they work? I have yet to meet a nurse or teacher or dental hygienist who makes 100k

Last edited:
I know a bunch of people on here are living non traditional lifestyles, many who dont have regular traditional jobs(anymore) or are semi retired and/or spend a significant amount of time travelling around(@J_F for example) , so I thought I would create a thread where you could possibly share your experience, and what you like to do(go to florida every winter like every snowbird or something different?), how like you it etc

I personally like the idea of working and living in the summer up here in canada and spending the winter months travelling or living in the southern US or latin america once im old enough and the mortgage has been paid off ,the kid is old enough and doing their thing etc
Went on a 2 week ride around Ireland back in 2018. Rented a bike, stayed in B&B's. Attached my GoPro and recorded 20 hours riding time. It was the trip of a lifetime, and would do it all again. Amazing ride, scenery and the atmosphere is so welcoming. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

I know a bunch of people on here are living non traditional lifestyles, many who dont have regular traditional jobs(anymore) or are semi retired and/or spend a significant amount of time travelling around(@J_F for example) , so I thought I would create a thread where you could possibly share your experience, and what you like to do(go to florida every winter like every snowbird or something different?), how like you it etc

I personally like the idea of working and living in the summer up here in canada and spending the winter months travelling or living in the southern US or latin america once im old enough and the mortgage has been paid off ,the kid is old enough and doing their thing etc
I've been retired for almost 15 years now. My wife and I have a son 51 years old and three grandkids aged 19 to 25. Everyone will have unique answers in this thread as there are so many variables in life experiences, health, financial resources and appetite for risk. Over time, try to understand your needs and of those close to you. Make the best plans you can based on what you know but don't be surprised if something changes them. Do what you really want to do in life as early as you possibly can and don't let your need for security become an overwhelming barrier to that. In retirement, do everything you really wanted to do before, but never had the time. We've been fortunate to have good health, travel some and enjoy great family. Generally love the summer months around here for motorcycling and golf. I started riding a 56 Harley on the road when I was 15 years old and it was legal in Ontario without a licence. I never forgot the freedom it gave me. January, February and now COVID make the winters a bit less enjoyable if you can't get away to the sun which we generally try to do, Costa Rica, Mexico or ? I have absolutely no complaints, nor would I change anything.

curious, do all your kids live in the sticks or some of them live in the GTA?
Also where do they work? I have yet to meet a nurse or teacher or dental hygienist who makes 100k
2 in the GTA, one in Northern Ontario.

Both my daughter's roommates are first year nurses in downtown hospitals, they earned over 100k in their first year, they are 24 yrs old, they have to work OT and most holidays. Go to a remote area and that can be 130k.

As for teachers, let’s be fair- the average salary is 93k for approx 1200hr work year. A teacher that can get by with 8 weeks of paid time off/yr can work 4 weeks of summer school and be in the club.

My dental hygienist makes $49/hr plus A hefty 30% commission on the extras. She is over 100k.

2 in the GTA, one in Northern Ontario.

Both my daughter's roommates are first year nurses in downtown hospitals, they earned over 100k in their first year, they are 24 yrs old, they have to work OT and most holidays. Go to a remote area and that can be 130k.

As for teachers, let’s be fair- the average salary is 93k for approx 1200hr work year. A teacher that can get by with 8 weeks of paid time off/yr can work 4 weeks of summer school and be in the club.

My dental hygienist makes $49/hr plus A hefty 30% commission on the extras. She is over 100k.

yes its the same with trades, you're not working 40 hrs a week, but often you just work more than the standard 40 hours and make a lot more

Not sure what your profession is, but if you can somehow finagle doing it remotely, it'll give you a lot of flexibility and mobility if extended travel is your interest.

the trend of working remotely has been has been expanded greatly and further reinforced thanks to covid, businesses will prefer it because who wants to rent an office? Or deal with traffic/commuting? Much more work can do be done now sitting at home in pajamas and chewbacca flip flops (yes they're fluffy)

Last edited:
Tradesman here. What is a 40 hour work week?.
No BS. I haven't worked one 40 hour work week in 30 years.
I remember my kid going thru university. He started working for a pool company on a shovel at 16. He was studying commerce, but saw the pool mechanics made 22/hr and got 60 hours a week. He took the factory training on his own time and the next summer at 17 was hauling in 1300/week. He did that thru university. A lot of his buddies called him dumb, they worked cushy ‘business experience jobs’ as interns and clerks making $500/week. Jr. continued and closed pools for $500/weekend for the first 10 weeks of school.

Upside? $25k over the summer means no student debt and no need work during school year.

the trend of working remotely has been has been expanded greatly and further reinforced thanks to covid, businesses will prefer it because who wants to rent an office? Or deal with traffic/commuting? Much more work can do be done now sitting at home in pajamas and chewbacca flip flops (yes they're fluffy)
Upside and downside. If you are an individual contributor it’s ok. If you have a ladder career the lack of direct connections, networking and development of organizational awareness stalls career advancement.

Hard to move and shake in your pjs and fluffy slippers.

Its not that so much more work can be done at home in pajamas, its that you can get your usual amount of work done in about half the time. if your commute time gets spent as work time = everything done faster.

Yes you do miss networking and direct connections. So does everyone else during covid, they will find a new way to measure.

Its not that so much more work can be done at home in pajamas, its that you can get your usual amount of work done in about half the time. if your commute time gets spent as work time = everything done faster.

Yes you do miss networking and direct connections. So does everyone else during covid, they will find a new way to measure.
I work for a pretty big firm, COVID has really slowed career advancement. Hiring managers have challenges integrating great talent as training, shadowing and traditional buddy support mechanisms are really tough.

As a result, vacancies are filled with jrs within the department, rarely the best candidates but the ones who can hit the ground running and operate without traditional development and support systems.

A metric big companies look at is positive attrition, the number of staff lost to better internal opportunities. This has cut by 75% over the last 12 months - sucks if you are a high performer.

It also helps that the real estate market in Toronto has been amazing for investors these past 15 years, where in the last 8 years alone, our current rental condo and house have each more than doubled in value.

Not just Toronto but Vancouver too and many other major cities worldwide etc, but this got me wondering - Making $100k today is like making $50k a decade ago in some ways

I make less today than I did 20 years ago for the same work. Middle income wages have increased a lot, not so much for high level management.

re: nursing and teaching, you wont pull 100 teaching in any GTA district as a grade school teacher but you will be part of the best pension fund going. Nursing is capped and even the Resource Nurse manager (used to be called head nurse) does not make 100 in Ontario (I'm married to a nurse manager at a larger GTA hospital) UNLESS your willing to do the holidays and take a lot of overtime opportunities, then 100 is doable , but that doesn't really fit into a semi retired thread , its about doing less LOL

Back
Top Bottom