Selling my bike. Buyer test ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling my bike. Buyer test ride

ACsurge

Hi guys

I tried searching for this but can't figure out the proper search term so not getting what I'm looking for.

When someone comes looking at the bike and wants to test ride it what is the process?

Thanks.

Full asking price of cash in hand before they test ride. If they crash it, consider it sold.

If the buyer balks at this, then there will be another one waiting in the wings who will agree to these terms. It's an extreme seller's market right now due to the supply being so scarce. You can pretty much dictate the terms of the sale.

and if you're not comfortable with someone else riding it, you can always put on a helmet and ride it around the block to show it functions, runs ok and is relatively safe.

Remember, you are loaning them your insurance too. If they crash it, your insurance will go up. Personally, I write up a bill of sale with a possible refund. They give me the money, ride the bike (not with my plate) and then if they crash it, I sold the bike already and it's their problem. If they didnt arrange insurance, that's on them.

Also, after sale, go to service Ontario and tell them you no longer own the vehicle. Prevents future issues (eg towing and impound fees making it back to you).

Thank you for the responses.

I would have only let serous people on the bike. But want sure how to make sure it is their responsibility.

Will sell the bike first with money in hand then they can ride.

No different than going to a dealership and buying a bike off the showroom. If dealerships don't allow test rides, you have no obligation likewise.

I have done as 'bigpoppa' mentions, in that do a cold start and ride the bike in front of him to demonstrate things. I even suggested that one guy ride on the back of a Goldwing I was selling.

He refused calling it a '*****' ride but his girlfriend took me up the offer. She was a trophy so we took our time riding around, even past my Bud's house as he was cutting his lawn to say hello and introduce her. He thanked me for it later and yes, she convinced him to buy my bike... (y)

I have test rode all 3 of my bikes but I had the money in hand so the seller knew I was a serious buyer. 2up could be a compromised.
I have ridden 2up and didn't feel like "@#$% ride". It's suppose to be fun!

I have test rode all 3 of my bikes but I had the money in hand so the seller knew I was a serious buyer. 2up could be a compromised.
I have ridden 2up and didn't feel like "@#$% ride". It's suppose to be fun!
Depending on the bike and rider, two up can be terrifying. I gave my dad a ride once and he is a big guy. It was so hard to keep the front wheel down with even moderate acceleration and it pushed like a mother in the corners. Just not enough weight on the front wheel. It could show the passenger that there were no funny sounds and all gears worked.

I'd never 2 up unless I knew the rider or passenger well enough, but cash in hand is the way to go. If they are serious in buying it they should have the money easily as buying a motorcycle shouldn't be breaking the bank and it shows they are serious.

Common sense goes a long way here. If the guy shows up spends 20-30 minutes going over the bike and asking pertinent questions he's got a shot at a demo ride. If he shows up and says "toss me the keys let's she how she rips!" maybe not so much.

Spitballing here; if you have GoPro or helmet cam, you can record your own test ride (start with the potential buyer in the view, so no doubt on authenticity or date of recording)... Have decent sound recording as well, so you can hear all gear changes, engine sounds... Test acceleration, braking, go through all the gears, and anything buyer wants to see in it... This can be done anytime - from there, if buyer is still interested and wants to test-ride it - write up bill of sale, full amount cash in-hand, and insurance in buyers name... Option to back out if major issue is found on test ride (by this point, buyer is serious, and not likely to back out for simple change of heart)...

I'm coming at this from both perspectives (seller and buyer), I think it sounds doable...

Remember, you are loaning them your insurance too. If they crash it, your insurance will go up. Personally, I write up a bill of sale with a possible refund. They give me the money, ride the bike (not with my plate) and then if they crash it, I sold the bike already and it's their problem. If they didnt arrange insurance, that's on them.

Also, after sale, go to service Ontario and tell them you no longer own the vehicle. Prevents future issues (eg towing and impound fees making it back to you).
If you read the UVIP, it says it doesn't prevent future issues, but that you should do it anyways, as it can help.

My thoughts:

Some riders might have the mentality of "Let's see if I can break it." Then I'll think about buying it.

Priorities: People worry about the value of their bike but ignore their greatest asset, their house, RRSPs etc. If there is a crash and it's your bike you get dragged into the mess, like it or not. A handful of cash doesn't mean squat nor does a few words writen on a scrap of paper.

A crash IMO is more likely because the test pilot may be concentating on the mechanics and ignore the road. He may be unfamiliar with the machine.

If there is anything fishy and insurance denies a claim an injured party might go after the registered owner. A lawyer could cost more than the bike is worth.

What if I don't like it? Will restaurants left you try a steak to see if you like it? It's up the the buyer to research what they want. Feel free to sit on the bike as long as you like to see if it fits you.

Spitballing here; if you have GoPro or helmet cam, you can record your own test ride (start with the potential buyer in the view, so no doubt on authenticity or date of recording)... Have decent sound recording as well, so you can hear all gear changes, engine sounds... Test acceleration, braking, go through all the gears, and anything buyer wants to see in it... This can be done anytime - from there, if buyer is still interested and wants to test-ride it - write up bill of sale, full amount cash in-hand, and insurance in buyers name... Option to back out if major issue is found on test ride (by this point, buyer is serious, and not likely to back out for simple change of heart)...

I'm coming at this from both perspectives (seller and buyer), I think it sounds doable...
I'm sorry, information gained by actually riding the bike far exceeds a video of me riding it. I would never buy a bike without a test ride. Period

I'm sorry, information gained by actually riding the bike far exceeds a video of me riding it. I would never buy a bike without a test ride. Period
I totally agree - my idea was a 2-step process: First a video and visual inspection in the driveway - if buyer is still interested, next step is to give a deposit, comeback with full amount in hand, and insurance in his name... With that, he can go for a test ride...
It could work, especially in sellers market...

Gonna pass on allowing rides. I'll ride it around if they want to see it go. Risk/reward isn't enough for me.

I have an underground parking garage, they can ride there and that's it.

Anything else would have to be me riding it for them.

Back
Top Bottom