Selling bike - should I replace the tire? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling bike - should I replace the tire?

If you don't already have the UVIP, get it now. It's the seller's responsibility to provide it to any prospective buyers. If a seller doesn't have one, I won't bother looking at it until they do. I'm certainly not wasting time in line at SO to pay for something I may not even be buying.

As for the tire, selling it as is gives you the benefit of having a lower price, but make it clear that it needs one and that you are willing to negotiate to have it replaced (and safety certified if desired). This way you cater to everyone - the person who just wants the lowest price and can source the parts and do the work themselves, the person who wants specific tires, and the person who doesn't have the time/ability to take it to a shop.

The problem with not listing it on Kijiji or FB is that while you avoid the hassle you also avoid pretty much the entire market.

I know that the scammers, the used vehicle report sellers, the low ballers, the dreamers, and the twerps who've decided they know more about the bike and/or it's value than you who feel compelled to share their self-valued wisdom even though they have no intention of buying it are annoying, one group more annoying than the others.

The reality though is that if you want to sell it relatively quickly kijiji/FB are your best options.
I know. I don’t have recent pictures of the bike, the ones I do have the tires look all muddy because I had to push it through mud after the fire department hosed down my entire driveway (long story detailed elsewhere) and so the bike looks like it’s not well cared for.

The bike isn’t even in the city but at my cottage. When I did have it on Kijiji just the other day I started getting a bunch of messages that I couldn’t even deal with. Kijiji/FB buyers are flaky enough already without having to explain about where the bike is, etc so I took my ad down the next day. It will go up on both as soon as I can get back to it and get better pictures which would be in a few days.

So I dropped my price by an extra $500, hoping a knowledgeable user here who is not afraid of changing a tire knows someone in the market and save me the hassle while saving a bunch of dough. But yeah, visibility here is not going to be nearly the same.

If I have to buy a new tire and have it mounted I will raise the price back up.

If you don't already have the UVIP, get it now. It's the seller's responsibility to provide it to any prospective buyers. If a seller doesn't have one, I won't bother looking at it until they do. I'm certainly not wasting time in line at SO to pay for something I may not even be buying.
There is actually an hta charge for selling without providing uvip. I've never heard of anyone ever getting it though.

Personally, if I am serious about buying, I like to buy the uvip. Anyone can do it with the Vin. That way I know I have a copy that hasn't been messed with. That being said, seller having a uvip is a good idea as it is legally required, shows they are serious and may have important information in it.

As for the tire, selling it as is gives you the benefit of having a lower price, but make it clear that it needs one and that you are willing to negotiate to have it replaced (and safety certified if desired). This way you cater to everyone - the person who just wants the lowest price and can source the parts and do the work themselves, the person who wants specific tires, and the person who doesn't have the time/ability to take it to a shop.
Those are great points. I do have the UVIP in hand. Problem with negotiating the tire replacement is that most shops are booking weeks out. So if I find an interested buyer, that makes it that much harder to coordinate. I need to commit to having the bike sitting for a few weeks waiting for the replacement, while the buyer could find something else. I guess I could negotiate a deposit but that might feel hinky too. I might just see what a dealer would offer for it. I probably should have just traded it in, but I didn’t want to trailer the bike to Quebec where I bought my new bike.

Those are great points. I do have the UVIP in hand. Problem with negotiating the tire replacement is that most shops are booking weeks out. So if I find an interested buyer, that makes it that much harder to coordinate. I need to commit to having the bike sitting for a few weeks waiting for the replacement, while the buyer could find something else. I guess I could negotiate a deposit but that might feel hinky too. I might just see what a dealer would offer for it. I probably should have just traded it in, but I didn’t want to trailer the bike to Quebec where I bought my new bike.
Just a thought but if you were to bring in just the wheel some shops will do a tire swap the same day.

UVIP. It's rare that anybody actually has one. I just stiff the guy for the last $20 and say that's for the UVIP. Can't recall any pushback.

I agree for the most part.

I'm contemplating selling my Husky 250 street legal from factory dual sport. Since it needs absolutely nothing I may offer it certified as I've never seen a Husky, KTM etc. style dual sport offered certified.

But we'll see.
Just remember you need to sell within ~30 days or the safety expires. (ie. Hassle)

Just remember you need to sell within ~30 days or the safety expires. (ie. Hassle)
36 days for whatever reason. If you have a friendly shop, they may do the inspection so you know what you are in for and issue cert in the future. That is not allowed but helps the seller from sitting on an expiring cert.

As GG said it's 36 days, and I have a friendly shop. As long as the km. don't go up they will date the certification appropriately.

Essentially, once they certify it I have to leave it sit which isn't a big deal as once I've decided I don't want to keep the bike I don't want to ride it anymore anyways.

36 days for whatever reason. If you have a friendly shop, they may do the inspection so you know what you are in for and issue cert in the future. That is not allowed but helps the seller from sitting on an expiring cert.
I guess the 36 days is 1 full calendar month + 1 full business week in case you forget...

But I'm obviously being pretty stupid by guessing a government body would put that much thought into something rather than just making a decision arbitrarily.

Man, I wanna be in a place in life where I'm worried that the motorcycles I buy are still worth enough to maybe have liens on them 😂
It is amazing the beaters that have liens in the states. Maybe here too but I don't know. A 15 yo civic may have a lien. Title loan places will give you a bit of money on almost anything in the US.

I prefer to know there's no lien on the vehicle before buying.
After roughly 15 bikes I've only had one issue and that was before UVIPs were a thing. My second bike was close to having a lien but someone had written a B instead of an 8 so the lien couldn't be enforced.

It is amazing the beaters that have liens in the states. Maybe here too but I don't know. A 15 yo civic may have a lien. Title loan places will give you a bit of money on almost anything in the US.
Hmm, really? Didn't know this was a thing. Maybe because of there being no book value on motorcycles, while there is a government book value on cars, it might apply to one but not the other? Dunno.

I prefer to know there's no lien on the vehicle before buying.
Every time they fail to provide the UVIP I add some variation of "Seller warranties against any liens placed on this vehicle" to the bill of sale. It probably doesn't actually accomplish much but it always makes them uncomfortable

Back
Top Bottom