Selling a Bike these days | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a Bike these days

I agree. I decide to get a new bike and sell my current one earlier this summer. I wrote the ad on my PC but before posting it I thought, just for the heck of it I'll see what the dealer would offer me as a trade in. Now being a Harley Davidson dealer I thought they would simply laugh at the thought of taking a 2011 Honda as a trade. Well, they offered me 300 bucks less then what I was going to post it online for. Could I have made more money? 100% Yes!. Would I have a load of idiots to deal with in the process? 100% Yes!. I trading it in, I have no issue with selling anything online but we live is such a strange time where everyone is felling so entitled and where the buyer is doing the seller a huge favor by taking that dreadful motorcycle off their hands..

The registered owner... is the owner. Bike is OP's until ownership is actually transferred to a new owner.
Even if the seller lets the ministry know about the sale... the ministry will note it, but won't transfer ownership until the buyer registers the sale... and the seller will still be legally responsible for it until the buyer does so.

A quick search will find you stories of people being nailed for fines, storage charges and worse.. for a vehicle they thought they sold.. some times years earlier.

^This.

I just went through an interesting situation myself. Got a phone call from 11 Division at 2am on a Saturday a few months ago saying that my motorcycle was involved in an incident and I needed to come down to the station and get it from impound. This is a bike I sold over 2 years ago. The person who bought it never registered it and got caught riding it illegally. I ended up paying the tow fee and storage and got the bike out and in my possession.

I also made note and told the MTO that the bike had been sold shortly after the original sale - but like mentioned above it didn't seem to matter to the police as I was the last registered owner on file. Luckily my story ended well - I got to keep the bike for a $350 tow/storage fee (and new ownership) as it was still in my name and the person involved showed 0 sign of wanting to pay anything (was facing some hefty fines).

From now on I will be finalizing my sales at the Service Ontario to know for sure the bike is no longer in my name - could have been much worse.

From now on I will be finalizing my sales at the Service Ontario to know for sure the bike is no longer in my name - could have been much worse.

How would you even do this though?
Every vehicle I've ever sold privately was done in a parking lot or my driveway.
Will you go to SO with the buyer, wait in line with them to witness them finalize the transfer?

Sold a Montesa today, it was in pieces scattered about my garage and I made the buyer pretty much assemble it :D
I adjusted the valves and once we put a working plug into it she works great, down one,
but on the up side I have another local rider (y) I bet nobody ever bought a motorcycle like that before.

How would you even do this though?
Every vehicle I've ever sold privately was done in a parking lot or my driveway.
Will you go to SO with the buyer, wait in line with them to witness them finalize the transfer?
I think if I were to sell a bike privately that’s what I would do, gives buyer peace of mind as well, no liens etc. If buyer ain’t good with that, red flag.

^This.

I just went through an interesting situation myself. Got a phone call from 11 Division at 2am on a Saturday a few months ago saying that my motorcycle was involved in an incident and I needed to come down to the station and get it from impound. This is a bike I sold over 2 years ago. The person who bought it never registered it and got caught riding it illegally. I ended up paying the tow fee and storage and got the bike out and in my possession.

I also made note and told the MTO that the bike had been sold shortly after the original sale - but like mentioned above it didn't seem to matter to the police as I was the last registered owner on file. Luckily my story ended well - I got to keep the bike for a $350 tow/storage fee (and new ownership) as it was still in my name and the person involved showed 0 sign of wanting to pay anything (was facing some hefty fines).

I'm guessing the bike is worth more than the $350 you paid for it

On another note
If we provide a VIN of a previously sold bike to SO will they be able to tell us who the current owner is?
Maybe not tell us the name but maybe confirm that is it no longer your name?

I'm guessing the bike is worth more than the $350 you paid for it

On another note
If we provide a VIN of a previously sold bike to SO will they be able to tell us who the current owner is?
Maybe not tell us the name but maybe confirm that is it no longer your name?

They won't give you the name but will confirm if it's still in your name. I believe they can make a note on the screen if there's a vehicle on your list that doesn't belong there. Sometimes a vehicle gets parted out and disappears.

Some people are stubborn but it can be a flag for bad intentions.

With money in hand, his plate and go for a ride? Sure if i get a pic of his drivers license first. Is letting someone drive your uninsured vehicle with a bad plate a crime? I'm sure there's something in the code that could stick, may not be worth the headache. I'd probably decide off the vibe i got in person to let him or not, if he wasn't back in 10 minutes i'd report it stolen and hand over the picture.

That could backfire, having a photo of the guy's licence. It would show your involvement in the questionable test ride and it could be seen as filing a false report.

If you willingly gave the bike to someone getting it back is usually a civil matter and the police won't get involved.

Well I pulled the Kijji ad yesterday.

I have sold many things in that Site without issues but selling a vehicle brings out a whole unique crowd. Kinda sad.....(n)

I will try Auto Trader next.

That could backfire, having a photo of the guy's licence. It would show your involvement in the questionable test ride and it could be seen as filing a false report.

If you willingly gave the bike to someone getting it back is usually a civil matter and the police won't get involved.
Indeed hence my comments.

If you let someone test drive your fully insured and plated vehicle and they didn't return, that is theft not borrowing.

The only difference here is its uninsured and unplated. You may be complicit in making a vehicle available to said person to intentionally break the law on but its still theft.

As I said, may not be worth the headache.

Well I pulled the Kijji ad yesterday.

I have sold many things in that Site without issues but selling a vehicle brings out a whole unique crowd. Kinda sad.....(n)

I will try Auto Trader next.
... same guy will probably call and ask for a test ride.

... same guy will probably call and ask for a test ride.
I'll usually post on both when selling a vehicle and you're right about that, I've gotten a few that messaged me on both ads with "what's your best price" not realizing its the same vehicle. I think a lot of them just go down the list and message every one until they get a bite.

Had one message me on Kijiji few years ago, back and forth for a bit set up a meeting and he flakes, no response. I don't mind the trolls much but setting an appointment then not even responding when you flake out is a special kind of dick move. A week later, same guy messaged me on autoTRADER with what's your best price so I sent him a screenshot of our Kijiji convo, never heard back from him.

Back
Top Bottom