Selling a Bike these days | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a Bike these days

Merkid

Ok, so I have not sold a bike for a few years so maybe I am missing something and could use some advice?

I posted my bike on Kijji. Buddy calls me wanting to test it out tomorrow. I told him there is no plate or insurance so I would either demo it for him or take him on the back for a short cruise. He is insisting on throwing his plate on it and taking it for a ride only, with his cash in my hand ($5K).

We are only communicating by text so i suggested we discuss things before he heads over. He only wants to communicate via texts so I nix the conversation and he got upset accusing me of being a Scammer.

What am I missing in all this?

Some people are stubborn but it can be a flag for bad intentions.

With money in hand, his plate and go for a ride? Sure if i get a pic of his drivers license first. Is letting someone drive your uninsured vehicle with a bad plate a crime? I'm sure there's something in the code that could stick, may not be worth the headache. I'd probably decide off the vibe i got in person to let him or not, if he wasn't back in 10 minutes i'd report it stolen and hand over the picture.

if you get the 5g's in hand then i guess thats what you are asking for the bike, if so sign the ownership over and let him go. the deal is made

he gave you the cash why wouldn’t you let him ride it you’re selling it as is. If he hit someone tell the cop you sold the bike to him hence his plate. He said he has insurance and you sold the bike to him. I bought a truck privately slap my mustang plate that I need to return I got stop told the cop I bought the truck last night I have insurance and was going to dmv no problem. The game hasn’t change. Temp plate would be better but I haven’t encountered any cop that give me issues. Don’t give him your old plate.

The rider getting caught with a fake plate.. or riding without insurance.. and however many more crimes would be committed.. Is the least of the OP's concerns... If something bad happens... someone else and/or the rider themselves gets hurt... OP, as the registered owner of the bike... will be named in any lawsuits.

he gave you the cash why wouldn’t you let him ride it you’re selling it as is. If he hit someone tell the cop you sold the bike to him hence his plate. He said he has insurance and you sold the bike to him. I bought a truck privately slap my mustang plate that I need to return I got stop told the cop I bought the truck last night I have insurance and was going to dmv no problem. The game hasn’t change. Temp plate would be better but I haven’t encountered any cop that give me issues. Don’t give him your old plate.

How many times have you been pulled over with the wrong plate on a vehicle you just bought?

The rider getting caught with a fake plate.. or riding without insurance.. and however many more crimes would be committed.. Is the least of the OP's concerns... If something bad happens... someone else and/or the rider themselves gets hurt... OP, as the registered owner of the bike... will be named in any lawsuits.

i don't know if the ownership is sign over?

I think what threw me off this guy was the fact that he didn't want to have a prior phone discussion.

I'm an old guy and know that the younger generation prefer communicating by texts but I figured I could have had a better read on the guy if I was able to hear the tone of his voice to determine whether he was serious and likewise he of me as for selling the bike.

I think the guy has no idea how many laws he would be breaking or did not give a ****.

When he called you a scammer you should have said:
In a years time you would likely still be riding on my ownership, a fake plate and non-insured, so go away little boy your money is no good here.

Last edited:
I'll agree that it all sounds like more trouble than it's worth, however, I would personally never buy a bike that I haven't first ridden.
Even if it's just up and down the street.
I want to make sure the bike fits me right.

But like you said, we talk on the phone for two minutes, I know that you're getting the vibe that I'm not taking off/ doing something stupid with your bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

i don't know if the ownership is sign over?

The registered owner... is the owner. Bike is OP's until ownership is actually transferred to a new owner.
Even if the seller lets the ministry know about the sale... the ministry will note it, but won't transfer ownership until the buyer registers the sale... and the seller will still be legally responsible for it until the buyer does so.

A quick search will find you stories of people being nailed for fines, storage charges and worse.. for a vehicle they thought they sold.. some times years earlier.

MY rule is if they pick up the phone and talk in person with you, it generally means they're a serious buyer. To twist an old phrase text is cheap.

Last edited:
missing nothing

a real buyer will want to see the bike before a hard offer
Exactly. A potential buyer that only wants to communicate via texts and makes an offer sight unseen? Not serious at all.
A buyer should always call the owner and ask when (day/time) it would be convenient to view the bike. Be flexible.

I don't get the "fits me right" if you want to test ride different models of motorcycles :/ go to a dealership and ask for a test ride. You should know what you are buying and the whole test ride thing should be to determine if everything works which should take you very little riding and a whole lot of close inspection.

Back
Top Bottom